DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cap for plumbing stack (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/181505-cap-plumbing-stack.html)

Nexus7 November 5th 06 01:10 AM

Cap for plumbing stack

The plumbing stack sticks out 2' from my roof. It is a 4" iron pipe (OD
is 4.66"). That's all there is, just the pipe sticking out. What kind
of cap, if any, is appropriate for it? I can get a cap that is made for
appliance vents and is adjustable for 3-5" diameter. However this is
designed with an upward flow of combustion gases in mind. Thanks.

tom November 5th 06 01:48 AM

Cap for plumbing stack

If it's just a plumbing vent stack, no cap is necessary. Is there
evidence of foreign matter(leaves 'n such) blocking it? I suppose you
could stick a gas vent cap on there if you wished. Tom

buffalobill November 5th 06 02:57 AM

Cap for plumbing stack

in buffalo ny: none. sewer vents are open to the sky.
see:
http://www.free-ed.net/sweethaven/Bl...p?iNum=fra0308

Pete C. November 5th 06 03:44 AM

Cap for plumbing stack

Nexus7 wrote:

The plumbing stack sticks out 2' from my roof. It is a 4" iron pipe (OD
is 4.66"). That's all there is, just the pipe sticking out. What kind
of cap, if any, is appropriate for it? I can get a cap that is made for
appliance vents and is adjustable for 3-5" diameter. However this is
designed with an upward flow of combustion gases in mind. Thanks.

As others have noted, no cover is the norm, however after retrieving a
drowned squirrel that was blocking my drain line I capped my vents. All
I did was cut oversized squares of aluminum window screen, fold them
over the top and down the side of the vent pipe and secure them with
stainless hose clamps. No more risk of squirrels or anything else
falling down the vent.

Pete C.

RicodJour November 5th 06 03:52 AM

Cap for plumbing stack

Nexus7 wrote:
The plumbing stack sticks out 2' from my roof. It is a 4" iron pipe (OD
is 4.66"). That's all there is, just the pipe sticking out. What kind
of cap, if any, is appropriate for it? I can get a cap that is made for
appliance vents and is adjustable for 3-5" diameter. However this is
designed with an upward flow of combustion gases in mind. Thanks.

You don't need a cap unless you're having problems. Are you having
problems?

Most of the stacks I've seen stick up about a foot. Is the 2' exposed
stack typical where you are?

krw November 5th 06 04:46 AM

Cap for plumbing stack

In article . com,
says...
Nexus7 wrote:
The plumbing stack sticks out 2' from my roof. It is a 4" iron pipe (OD
is 4.66"). That's all there is, just the pipe sticking out. What kind
of cap, if any, is appropriate for it? I can get a cap that is made for
appliance vents and is adjustable for 3-5" diameter. However this is
designed with an upward flow of combustion gases in mind. Thanks.

You don't need a cap unless you're having problems. Are you having
problems?

Perhaps there is too much rain going down the stack. ;-)

Most of the stacks I've seen stick up about a foot. Is the 2' exposed
stack typical where you are?

Maybe in a high snow area? I'm in VT and only have about a foot of
the stack exposed (though it's hard to see).

--
Keith

Nexus7 November 5th 06 10:23 PM

Cap for plumbing stack

RicodJour wrote:
Nexus7 wrote:
The plumbing stack sticks out 2' from my roof. It is a 4" iron pipe (OD
is 4.66"). That's all there is, just the pipe sticking out. What kind
of cap, if any, is appropriate for it? I can get a cap that is made for

You don't need a cap unless you're having problems. Are you having
problems?

No problems (that I know of, anyway). I was thinking along the lines of
the furnace chimney, that got a new liner and a nice cap. They didn't
find any dead things in there either. However, as mentioned in this
thread, there is a possibility of a rodent or bird finding it's way in
there, and I get my neighbor's huge tree shedding its autumn glory on
my roof and yard, so something could get in there. Plus the snow which
I will pay to melt. Not a biggie, but if it doesn't hurt anything, I'd
rather have it capped.

Also, as mentioned in the thread, I thought of window screen mesh, but
I think the snow would block it off then.

Most of the stacks I've seen stick up about a foot. Is the 2' exposed
stack typical where you are?

I was up there today, and it is only about a foot. There was no
flashing around it either, so I used gutter caulk.

RicodJour November 5th 06 10:42 PM

Cap for plumbing stack

Nexus7 wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
Nexus7 wrote:
[...]

Back up there, hombre. There's _no_ flashing boot around your vent
stack? If that's the case that's a far bigger problem that a potential
blockage in the vent stack.

Using caulk does not work. It will fail. Far better to pull a few
shingles install the flashing boot and reinstall/replace the shingles.

While you're up there, put on a cap if it makes you feel better. Be
aware that the cap will prevent rain from falling into the stack which
will make it far more inviting to animals and insects. If you cap it,
make sure there's some screen as well.

kevin November 6th 06 02:34 AM

Cap for plumbing stack

Although not always good advice, in this case I have to say "not
broken, don't fix it".

The standard practice is no vent. Most nearly every house in the entire
country is built this way, and not because people are cheap -- because
this is the best way to do it. I would be surprised if you can even
find a product sold anywhere meant for capping a dwv stack, so that
right there should tell you that it really is pointless and stupid.

Squirrels don't like living in ****. Neither do birds. Or even mice for
that matter. There is nothing down that pipe except a 20+ foot drop
straight down, with smooth sheer vertical walls, then its all sewer,
slime, and yuck at the bottom. A few leaves, pinecones, whatever are
not going to cause any problem at all, any more than the, um, crap, you
put down the toilet. Remember that is a 4" diameter pipe.

A screen will catch the leaves and snow, blocking your vent. A cap can
get clogged by leaves and debris, possibly, or more likely just create
a perfect, dry place for wasps and bees to nest, blocking your vent.

The case of your utility vent stack is completely different, with
different requirements (it needs to stay hot, and clean, and preferably
dry I suppose). Your sewage stack is exactly that -- a smelly, wet,
dirty place.

The "squirrel or bird down the vent stack" sounds about as likely to me
as a mouse wedging itself in your hose bib. Sure, it could happen, but
the once in several lifetimes event is simply not worth protecting
against. There are better things to worry about, and your just causing
yourself more trouble than you are saving. Besides, that would have to
be some lard-butt squirrel to clog a 4" pipe, no?. The ones around here
aren't that big.

[rant over]
-k