DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Vent Stack Dead End in Basement? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/181263-re-vent-stack-dead-end-basement.html)

Speedy Jim November 2nd 06 02:42 PM

Vent Stack Dead End in Basement?

xms wrote:
We had a leak from what I’m assuming is a dead end in the vent stack
located in the basement.

This is directly below the 1 ½ vanity on the main floor and hangs down
about 8 inches through a cutout in the floor.

About two cups of clear water leaked out of the cap. (no run down on
the pipe itself)

The toilet at the vanity was partially drained at the bowel.

The cap is not glued and again, this is where the water leaked from.

The pipe itself isn't glued properly as I can turn it.

I’m assuming I will be opening up the wall behind the vanity (in the
hallway) to access the plumbing.

Can I remove the dead end completely if there are no plans to finish
the basement?

Cheers

Sounds like a "hack" job from the git-go.

Without seeing the entire layout of the stack
nobody could tell you what the proper fix will be.

But, yes, at least cap it off so it doesn't leak for now.

Jim