Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tile Laser Layout?

I was talking to an electrician on the weekend and he was telling me about a
"laser / level" that a friend of his had bought to layout tile. As he
explained, it sounded like one could hang the laser system on the wall and
then adjust the tile angle and size to project a grid onto the floor. I
tried to google it but only came up with laser squares. The more I think
about it I wonder if such a system could even exists? since the height and
location of laser would cause the laser image to "keystone" as it got
further away. THOUGHTS?

Posted to alt.home.repair

It would be possible to compensate for the keystoning. Projectors for
conference rooms do so. Maybe you could point a projector at the floor?
That combined with a graphics program like Illustrator or Freehand
would let you plan and project some really complicated pattern. Could
be fun for a tile- and computer- loving geek. (No offense meant by the
term 'geek', btw.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Since I am a computer geek this is an option but I'm not sure I want my
multimedia projector on the job site. How would I explain the dust to my
wife when I blow the $500 bulb?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I use a laser square when I am setting tile. Using measurements and a
chalk line I set my first column, but from there I use the laser square
to project a straight line down each column and row of tile. It really
helps keep the tile super straight and keeps you from wandering as tile
isn't always perfectly square or sized consistently.

The other advantage is that as you lay down thinset (or mastik) the
laser still shows where chalk lines disappear.

Jeff
HotRod wrote:
I was talking to an electrician on the weekend and he was telling me about a
"laser / level" that a friend of his had bought to layout tile. As he
explained, it sounded like one could hang the laser system on the wall and
then adjust the tile angle and size to project a grid onto the floor. I
tried to google it but only came up with laser squares. The more I think
about it I wonder if such a system could even exists? since the height and
location of laser would cause the laser image to "keystone" as it got
further away. THOUGHTS?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a tripod laser but not a nice laser square. In the past I've screwed
down a piece of 1x4 and then worked off of that, I can normally 2 or three
rows at a time and use it to butt my tiles against. Since I've been laying a
lot of tile lately and messing my knees up I'd be more than willing to
invest in the machine. I do this after I finish my desk hob each day and
every job my price has gone up and the customers are still more than happy
to pay so I think I'll just keep going for now.

Old tile - To remove or not to remove... rb608 Home Repair 3 July 12th 06 04:06 AM
PlasPlugs tile cutter?? What a load of pants Ben UK diy 24 April 30th 04 09:54 AM
Ceramic tile over ceramic tile Don Home Ownership 1 November 23rd 03 06:34 AM
JDS Uniphase SLM uGreen 532 nm DPSS Laser problems Sam Goldwasser Electronics Repair 0 July 15th 03 03:50 PM