Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Default Grain sack sewing needle?

Anyone know of a source? I tried Google and found lots of references
but no sources. Did find one set on Ebay.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

In article om,
"Harry K" wrote:

Anyone know of a source? I tried Google and found lots of references
but no sources. Did find one set on Ebay.

Harry K

Would leather working type needles work possibly?

Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"Harry K" wrote in message
ps.com...

Anyone know of a source? I tried Google and found lots of references
but no sources. Did find one set on Ebay.

Ask for a carpet needle.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Harry K wrote:
Anyone know of a source? I tried Google and found lots of references
but no sources. Did find one set on Ebay.

Unless you're seeking a particular machine needle to fit a particular
grain sack sewing machine any large sewing needle will work for sewing
heavy fabric by hand.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_sg...&Go.x=8&Go.y=9

Also, most marine supply shops will carry sailmaker's sewing supplies;
sailmaker's needles , palms, and thread.

You can also search leather sewing needles and carpet sewing
needles.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"Harry K" wrote in message
Anyone know of a source? I tried Google and found lots of

references
but no sources. Did find one set on Ebay.

This probably won't be any help to you given that I live in Aus, but I
went into my local rural suppliers shop to look for one and when they
didn't have one I got them to order one in for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Harry K wrote:
Anyone know of a source? I tried Google and found lots of references
but no sources. Did find one set on Ebay.

Harry K

Thanks to everyone. Several very good suggestions. My brother had
asked about them as we both grew up back in those days and had actually
been given lessons on how to sew sacks. He wanted one to use for
stringing salmon for smoking.

The carpet needle, sail needle, leather working needle all sound like a
good choices. Actually I suspect better at they will just punch a
hole. A sack needle cuts a slot.

I will suggest it to him.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On 1 Nov 2006 05:19:53 -0800, "Sheldon" wrote:

Harry K wrote:
Anyone know of a source? I tried Google and found lots of references
but no sources. Did find one set on Ebay.

Unless you're seeking a particular machine needle to fit a particular
grain sack sewing machine any large sewing needle will work for sewing
heavy fabric by hand.

Are you talking about just a needle (hand or machine?) that will
sew through sacking? If so, a plain old denim needle will work
fine. If you're talking about something that will handle
that almost twine-sized thread they sew the sacks shut with,
then for hand-stitching I'd look for a sewing awl.
(like this: http://www.speedystitcher.com/products.html)

If it's for machine work, you probably want a size 18/110
ball-point needle.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On 1 Nov 2006 07:33:13 -0800, "Harry K"
wrote:

Harry K wrote:
Anyone know of a source? I tried Google and found lots of references
but no sources. Did find one set on Ebay.

Harry K

Thanks to everyone. Several very good suggestions. My brother had
asked about them as we both grew up back in those days and had actually
been given lessons on how to sew sacks. He wanted one to use for
stringing salmon for smoking.

The carpet needle, sail needle, leather working needle all sound like a
good choices. Actually I suspect better at they will just punch a
hole. A sack needle cuts a slot.

I will suggest it to him.

Harry K

Wouldn't you use a spudge through the eye-sockets for that?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

like this

"Harry K" wrote in message
ps.com...
Anyone know of a source? I tried Google and found lots of references
but no sources. Did find one set on Ebay.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Cliff Hartle wrote:
like this

No, what he wants are these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Large-Long-Flour-and-Burlap-Sack-Seed-Steele-Needles_W0QQitemZ130042033591QQihZ003QQcategoryZ14 61QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
or if that wraps too much:
http://tinyurl.com/ycxs6y
Just doesn't have the leather glove that makes using them easier.
Dang, I'm old!
--
Grandpa

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Harry K wrote:
Anyone know of a source? I tried Google and found lots of references
but no sources. Did find one set on Ebay.

Harry K

Took me a few minutes, but here's a source:
http://www.barrbrothers.com/
Look in "view our products", "industrial product line",
about 3/4 down the page are "burlap sack needles"

--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 17:37:32 GMT, Grandpa wrote:

Cliff Hartle wrote:
like this

No, what he wants are these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Large-Long-Flour-and-Burlap-Sack-Seed-Steele-Needles_W0QQitemZ130042033591QQihZ003QQcategoryZ14 61QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
or if that wraps too much:
http://tinyurl.com/ycxs6y
Just doesn't have the leather glove that makes using them easier.
Dang, I'm old!

That's what hes *ASKED* for, yes. But what he
really NEEDS is one of these bait-irons:

http://www.newenglandmarine.com/Lobs...and%20bags.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Harry K wrote:
Anyone know of a source? I tried Google and found lots of references
but no sources. Did find one set on Ebay.

Harry K

A quick Google search for "sack needle" came up with a couple:

http://gardentoolsaccessories.com/SuperStore/SuperStore-Product.asp?ProductID=5826
http://www.amazon.com/Straight-Sack-Needle-STRAIGHT-NEEDLE/dp/B000AYJ02A/sr=1-8/qid=1162424236/ref=sr_1_8/104-2908431-2452769?ie=UTF8&s=garden

MikeB
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

wrote:

Harry K wrote:
Anyone know of a source? I tried Google and found lots of references
but no sources. Did find one set on Ebay.

Harry K

Thanks to everyone. Several very good suggestions. My brother had
asked about them as we both grew up back in those days and had actually
been given lessons on how to sew sacks. He wanted one to use for
stringing salmon for smoking.

The carpet needle, sail needle, leather working needle all sound like a
good choices. Actually I suspect better at they will just punch a
hole. A sack needle cuts a slot.

I will suggest it to him.

Harry K

Wouldn't you use a spudge through the eye-sockets for that?

Never having done it myself or plan to... I thought his request was
rather odd also as a sacking needle is not the tool I would have
thought of.

For those who haven't seen one, they are a fairly long needle with a
narrow "leaf" end that have been sharpened on both edges. Some are
straight, some curved. Rather than just poking a hole, they cut a slot
through the material.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Grandpa wrote:
Cliff Hartle wrote:
like this

No, what he wants are these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Large-Long-Flour-and-Burlap-Sack-Seed-Steele-Needles_W0QQitemZ130042033591QQihZ003QQcategoryZ14 61QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
or if that wraps too much:
http://tinyurl.com/ycxs6y
Just doesn't have the leather glove that makes using them easier.

Yeah, thems the thingies. I suggested he look into the various
suggestions plus add a "sailmakers palm"
I saw that set on ebay and shuddered at the price.

Dang, I'm old!
--
Grandpa

Join the club!

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Grandpa wrote:
Harry K wrote:
Anyone know of a source? I tried Google and found lots of references
but no sources. Did find one set on Ebay.

Harry K

Took me a few minutes, but here's a source:
http://www.barrbrothers.com/
Look in "view our products", "industrial product line",
about 3/4 down the page are "burlap sack needles"

--
Grandpa

Thanks. I forwarded it too him. I suspect he will choose a more
logical option.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

MiikeB wrote:
Harry K wrote:
Anyone know of a source? I tried Google and found lots of references
but no sources. Did find one set on Ebay.

Harry K

A quick Google search for "sack needle" came up with a couple:

http://gardentoolsaccessories.com/SuperStore/SuperStore-Product.asp?ProductID=5826
http://www.amazon.com/Straight-Sack-Needle-STRAIGHT-NEEDLE/dp/B000AYJ02A/sr=1-8/qid=1162424236/ref=sr_1_8/104-2908431-2452769?ie=UTF8&s=garden

MikeB

Thanks. Sent that to him too.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Harry K wrote:
Anyone know of a source? I tried Google and found lots of references
but no sources. Did find one set on Ebay.

Harry K

Bag material that I am familiar with is osnaburg, a med-heavy cotton.
A needle suitable for that or for denim would be size 16 or 18. Should
be able to find them at any sewing goods store - Joann Fabrics and
Hancock come to mind; both have websites.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , aspasia wrote:

Well... carpet thread seems like an obvious solution.

Thanks...but I actually didn't know there WAS such a thing.
I tried to Google the term, but no luck. Carpet stores around
here seem to just sell the carpet, no repair/maintenance items.
Where to look?

I'd try looking for sailmakers tools. Here's one such example:

http://us.binnacle.com/index.php?cPath=28_252

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

iated.

Well... carpet thread seems like an obvious solution.

Thanks...but I actually didn't know there WAS such a thing.
I tried to Google the term, but no luck. Carpet stores around
here seem to just sell the carpet, no repair/maintenance items.
Where to look?

Fabric stores.
If they don't call it "carpet thread"
try "heavyweight nylon upholstery thread".
and if that fails, just tell them what you
want it for, and they'll find you
something appropriate.

--Goedjn

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

Bag material that I am familiar with is osnaburg, a med-heavy cotton.
A needle suitable for that or for denim would be size 16 or 18. Should
be able to find them at any sewing goods store - Joann Fabrics and
Hancock come to mind; both have websites.

Have been following this thread with interest. I have a situation
where a fairly valuable rug is unraveling at both ends. I'm at fault
because I didn't do anything about it soon enough.

Now I want to locate a good quality binding, but before I sew it on,
I have to "whip-stitch" (correct term?) the raveled ends. OK I will
get a needle with a big eye, but what should I use to whip the ends?
An ordinary thread? If not, anybody know what else to use?

Also referrals to appropriate groups appreciated.

Well... carpet thread seems like an obvious solution.

Thanks...but I actually didn't know there WAS such a thing.
I tried to Google the term, but no luck. Carpet stores around
here seem to just sell the carpet, no repair/maintenance items.
Where to look?

When we were looking at buying area rugs, we checked with Home Depot to
see if they could bind the edges on a chunk of carpet. They said they
provide the service, but contract it out. A decent carpet store should
be able to sew on a binding for you. If you can't find one, try
upholstery shop. You could probably stitch the frayed end with a decent
sewing machine, but stitching on the binding is probably too much ..
might be doable. I have seen curved upholstery needles at Joann or
Hancock fabrics. There is heavy duty sewing thread at regular fabric
stores, and it should be strong enough to keep a binding in place. My
sewing machine sews six layers of denim without any trouble using a #16
or #18 needle.

sewing machinery sedatkzyk UK diy 0 March 21st 06 12:55 PM
sewing machinery sedatkzyk UK diy 0 March 21st 06 12:54 PM
Bolt Action or Double Rifle! [email protected] Metalworking 76 April 3rd 05 06:42 AM