Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Crappo Reviewed

http://www.nextag.com/Home+Depot~122...z1zmainz17-htm

Home Depot
Merchant InformationMerchant Reviews

13 Reviews
Rview Review Summary
Last 40 days Last 90 days All Reviews
Positive 0 0 2
Neutral 0 0 0
Negative 3 7 11
Total Reviews 3 7 13
Average Rating 1.3 1.1 1.7

Date: 10/23/06 Rated by: Captn "Think about this before you make a
special order from Home Depot: We ordered a full set of Kitchen
cabinets with trim etc. The lead time is 6 weeks; and when the order
arrived, there were missing and damaged pieces. The replacement /
fulfillment time was another 6 weeks!!! My lesson learned was, Home
Depot makes no allowances for problems that effect the customer; and
has no process for addressing problems with special orders. You
loose!"

Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

Date: 10/7/06 Rated by: newcombg5 "I ordered a round-front toilet
seat from homedepot.com on Sept. 1, 2006. I selected the item by
filtering for round front toilet seats using Homedepot.com's own
search engine. The product description does not even state what kind
of toilet seat it is, but I assumed it would be right because
elongated seats were specifically filtered out. On 9/12/06 the item
arrived, and it was an elongated toilet seat. I e-mailed homedepot.com
on 9/17/06 and they said they would arrange for the item to be picked
up within 3-5 days. Even after ten days, the item was not picked up,
and I could no longer leave it at the UPS Store where I receive my
mail. I e-mailed them several times urging them to provide me with an
address to send the item myself, and they evaded the question, so I
called their customer service and they adamantly refused to give me an
address to send the item back, they only work on a call-tag basis.
They also said I could not return it to my local Home Depot store. You
should not order from homedepot.com because you cannot trust the
search engine, item descriptions, and you will probably not be able to
return your item if it is not right. (I don't think that call tag ever
did show up.)"

Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

Date: 9/28/06 Rated by: ndiamond4ever "Bought a Wagner Wallpaper
Remover from Home Depot's online ordering. Ordered it Sept. 7th,
cancelled order on Sept 10th & was advised I would have to refuse
shipment of the item when it arrived. Order shipped Sept 12th & I
refused shipment as instructed. Now they are refusing to refund my
shipping, claiming once an order is "routed" not "shipped" there is
nothing they can do. What a rip off!!!!!"

Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

Date: 9/28/06 Rated by: Borderdog "I bought 20 pavers that were
advertised on the shelf for .46 ea. Got to the checkout in the Garden
Dept. and they charged me .69 ea. I went and got the tag from the
shelf, but was informed that I now had to go to Customer Service for a
refund. I stood in line for 10 minutes waiting and finally got to the
CS rep. Because there were no bar codes on the pavers, the poor CS
rep. had to enter all 20 pavers UPC numbers individually. Then, the
scanner wouldn't read the bar code on the label from the shelves, so
she had to enter that UPC manually and over-ride the price for each
paver. This whole scenario took about 30 minutes. I must say the rep.
kept her cool, I was steamed. All for $5.00. I am usually a Lowe's
customer, but since the Home Depot is a bit closer, I thought I'd give
them the business. Not any more."

Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

Date: 9/19/06 Rated by: JohnHoward "Bought an Admiral (Maytag)
AAV7000AWW washing machine from Home Depot store #1509 in Denver. They
delivered a machine with a bent shaft that drives the tub and
agitator. Of course, it vibrates excessively at all speeds. They won't
take it back unless I deliver it to them (I'm 69 yrs old and not able
to do this myself. A moving company quotes $240 do take it back to
them.) They delivered it after making me wait 9 days, and say that
they don't pick them up. Neither Maytag nor Home Depot will stand
behind their machines. Be very careful in buying appliances from a
hardware store. You will be on your own if it isn't working right.
Their customer service people (in India I think) offered me a $25 gift
card to shut up, I told Satish (customer service) that $250 would be
closer. I have called the store daily for the last 10 days without any
results."

Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

Date: 8/15/06 Rated by: ernieschick "called to have a hot water
heater installed (they had same day installation & PROUD of it!).
well,called at 7 am and they promised that they would bring water
heater out and install that day, but never got a call...I called them
back at noon, and they said it would be a little later, so I took off
work to meet the guy for installation,4 pm and they still didn't call.
Called them back and they said they were out of that water
heater...went to store and pointed to in-stock water heater that they
had on shelf (5 Actually) and thay said they never got the order to
install...they said their PHONES weren't working (as they were using
them)! Then they got angry with US for not wanting to do it the next
day!!! WENT TO LOWES"

Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

Date: 7/4/06 Rated by: Billwood "Being a Contractor, I shopped
Home Depot for years. About 5 years ago, they changed owners &
obviously the new owners don't know a thing about employee loyalty or
customer service. It's hard to find an employee with a 10 year badge,
or anyone at all to help you. They seemed to force out older
(experienced) employees & replace them with kids that have no
experience & therefor don't know anything. I now shop at Lowes. Just
check their stock numbers & see what's happening. It's a shame to see
what was once a good company go bad. "

Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

Date: 6/11/06 Rated by: slockhart "I worked with Home Depot to
remodel my spare bathroom. They staff was extremely friendly and
helped me every step of the way. I spent about 3,000 and it was worth
every penny. I did require some help with the tile floor and they
worked with me to get a good contractor to install the flooring. The
experience was excellent."

Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

Date: 6/2/06 Rated by: limbojim "Had to phone order in; on hold
for almost half an hour. Asked about delivery time, was assured I'd
have it within 5 biz days. Got it in 7, too late for Memorial Day.
Called to get return authorization; on hold for more than an HOUR. Not
impressed with Home Depot Direct!"

Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

Date: 12/21/05 Rated by: daled "I've done heavy remodeling on my
house, inside and out, and have been very pleased with Home Depot,
including returns. I've never returned more than 4 items at any one
time, but it's been no problem. We just bought a new washer and
dryer...delivery was when it was supposed to be, and was courteous and
professional. We just recently had a Lowes open up nearby, and I've
shopped there, but many of their items (bags of sand, most recently)
are considerably more expensive."

Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

Date: 12/13/05 Rated by: Manerly "We just redecorated our bathroom
....and because we live downtown Chicago, We bought most of what we
needed from home depot. We spent around 2500 USD there. After we were
done, we went to return some stuff that we had bought but didnt use at
all, like extra paint, glue, nails, screws etc. It turned out they
treated us so bad for returning all that stuff. Please note that we
didnt use any of the stuff and most of it was even still sealed in its
box. Yes we were returning a lot of small stuff (Around 25 items and
the value for all of it was around 200 USD) but nothing compared to
what we've spent there. There was even one sales girl who came up to
us and said, "who is returning all of these items?...who is returning
of all these items ?...is it them?...Who?.." and then she looked at us
when i nodded and said out loud," Thank God, i dont have to deal with
all of these". Not only that, the salesperson who was dealing with us,
basically threw all the stuff we returned, made lots of banging noise,
and didnt smile at all.... They made us feel like we were committing a
crime for returning all of those items. I am so sorry for such a big
store like "home depot", they have a lousy customer service
department. We are thinking of decorating our kitchen next year...and
definetely we are not gooing to go back to Home Depot."

Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

Date: 12/7/05 Rated by: Artyworld "Cupertino Branch. Don't carry
Grohe in stock. Hard to find a knowledgeable person. Hard to find
someone to help. Shop is dirty/dusty. We purchased a Schuler kitchen
designed by them. It was a disaster. The cupboards are all to big so
there is not room for crown molding. I didn't figure this out until
after it was installed and there were huge gaps where it met the
ceiling in places. Difficult to make it go away. The cupboards for
above the fridge were to big also which meant we had to drop the
subzero fridge onto the subfloor instead of it being at the same
height as the floor. I now come to find that they don't carry Schuler
anymore, Lowes does. WE don't have a Lowes around here and I need to
purchase a couple of other items. "

Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

Last updated: October 31, 2006 18:26 -1940257610 v1x100

Posted to alt.home.repair

And this surprises you? When's the last time that you were so satisfied
with any big box store that you ran home and wrote up a glowing review?

People only take the time to do this stuff when they have an axe to grind.
If the store sucked, they wouldn't be so successful.

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tim Fischer" wrote in message
. ..
And this surprises you? When's the last time that you were so satisfied
with any big box store that you ran home and wrote up a glowing review?

People only take the time to do this stuff when they have an axe to grind.
If the store sucked, they wouldn't be so successful.

It depends how you define success.
You can feed people a number of different ways. Two of them a
Sit them down at a table and serve them on plates, w/ a modicum of
amenities.
Or pour slop into a 500 foot trough, so 1,000 (500 each side) people can
feed quickly.
But not necessarily inexpensively.

The complaints are from people feeding at the trough, waiting for the
waitress to bring some water/extra dressing.

The sit-down table was yer old local hardware store. Which no longer
exists.

From an over-priced trough pov, HD is indeed successful.
Absolutely Vote, for *Anyone BUT* a Democrat or a Republican
Ending Corruption in Congress is the Single Best Way
to Materially Improve Your Life
all d'numbuhs

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in
message ...
The sit-down table was yer old local hardware store. Which no longer
exists.

You paint the picture wrong -- HD is almost always cheaper than "the local
store". That's why they are around, and the local stores have dried up.
What they don't have, typically, is the same level of personal service, as
you pointed out.

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

It is the *rare case* when I can't *substantially* beat or at the very least
match HDs prices. Rare.
Some exceptions are lumber, in particular plywood, because the **** that HD
carries, no self-respecting lumber yard will carry. So you pay a little more
for decent stuff.
And the ease of dealing w/ your local lumber building supply often makes any
extra cost WELL worth it, ito time, hassle, vein-throbbing frustration.
Another is their $7.98 shop lite (4 ft T-8s). But, I get the bulbs 50%
cheaper locally.
Often, I get the lumber/insulation/etc as cheap or cheaper, *w/ free truck
delivery*. No lines, no bull****, and a hand unloading the stuff.

At my local hardware store, I make a special arrangement. I keep money on
account at all times (cupla hundred bucks), and in exchange I get a discount
so that prices are close or below HD, no tax, 2-block away convenience, free
delivery if nec, and the dignity of dealing w/ people who actually know my
effing name.

HD should be used ONLY for price checking, quick assessment of "what's out
there". No actual purchases should be made at HD except
late-nite/sunday/holiday/emergency purchases.
We've sold our asses, for a few goddamm pennies--and not even that, in the
long run.
**** HD.
Absolutely Vote, for *Anyone BUT* a Democrat or a Republican
Ending Corruption in Congress is the Single Best Way
to Materially Improve Your Life
all d'numbuhs
"Tim Fischer" wrote in message
. ..
"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote
in message ...
The sit-down table was yer old local hardware store. Which no longer
exists.

You paint the picture wrong -- HD is almost always cheaper than "the local
store". That's why they are around, and the local stores have dried up.
What they don't have, typically, is the same level of personal service, as
you pointed out.

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in
message ...
At my local hardware store, I make a special arrangement. I keep money on
account at all times (cupla hundred bucks), and in exchange I get a
discount so that prices are close or below HD, no tax, 2-block away
convenience, free delivery if nec, and the dignity of dealing w/ people
who actually know my effing name.

See, that's the difference. The rest of us don't want to make special
arrangements to get a price. They don't want to price-match. They want to
walk into the store, be reasonably sure the product they want will be there,
and get it for a good price. No haggle, no accounts, no fuss, no muss.

Your 'local' is 2 blocks away. Mine is probably 10-15 miles.

No tax? Are they breaking the law, or are you a reseller? I'm not, I'm
just Joe Homeowner.

HD should be used ONLY for price checking, quick assessment of "what's out
there". No actual purchases should be made at HD except
late-nite/sunday/holiday/emergency purchases.

Where do you suggest I go? We have a couple of True Values nearby, but
their prices are much higher than HD, and they don't carry lumber. I have a
Lowes and a HD within a mile. Anywhere else, I'd be driving 10-15 miles
every time I needed something. And typically paying more.

I'm not knocking the local guy -- I hate to see them get run out. But I
don't have unlimited funds and need to budget somewhere (and can't take a
huge trip every time I need something).

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, there you go:
CheckMate.
HD wins.
We all lose.
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stu Stu is offline

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Well, there you go:
CheckMate.
HD wins.
We all lose.

Its no diffent in the UK and I totally in agree in the better service
given by most of the walk in stores. We also have stores like HD online
that can provide less costly items and a much better range. Although
you will always hear of horror stories there are also a lot of good
stores. e have one called Screwfix that sell 1000's of products and
actually have a better level of service than most of the local stores.
As an ex chippy I still have a trade account and recently had the wrong
screws sent for a job. After ringing and moaning they sent me
replacements free of charge.
We live in the age of ever bigger stores and I think unless in a remote
area the smaller shops are doomed to a degree. I did however read a
report which showed the deliveries made by a large supermarket chain
would have saved over 500 gallons of fuel in a single area, due to the
reduction of drivers going to the store. Maybe sometimes we have to
look at the benefits, especially as we will be swimming in a few years
if all that we read is true.

Stu
http://cateringappliancesltd.co.uk

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tim Fischer wrote:
And this surprises you? When's the last time that you were so satisfied
with any big box store that you ran home and wrote up a glowing review?

People only take the time to do this stuff when they have an axe to grind.
If the store sucked, they wouldn't be so successful.

-Tim

IMHO it *does* suck... although I've never been ripped off by them, they
don't seem to stock anything actually useful. I'm not sure what people
buy there that they seem to keep making a profit, but anything I would
need I usually end up randomly wandering the aisles for a while, asking
an employee, and then going home and buying off eBay. In the last
couple weeks alone, I've been denied a handful of Siemens circuit
breakers and some Madison hangers by the Home Despot, which don't seem
like odd or obscure items to me.

Sadly, the one thing they *do* seem to be good at is driving the small,
good independent hardware stores out of business.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 02:36:45 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"

Date: 7/4/06 Rated by: Billwood "Being a Contractor, I shopped
Home Depot for years. About 5 years ago, they changed owners &

Did they actually change owners 5 years ago?

obviously the new owners don't know a thing about employee loyalty or
customer service. It's hard to find an employee with a 10 year badge,

I've never seeen a 10 year badge, or a 2 year or 1 year badge. Do
they have such badges?

or anyone at all to help you. They seemed to force out older
(experienced) employees & replace them with kids that have no
experience & therefor don't know anything. I now shop at Lowes. Just
check their stock numbers & see what's happening. It's a shame to see
what was once a good company go bad. "

Lowes still has a bad or tterrible webpage. I needed a foam filter
and a bag for filters for my shop-vac. HD is now very close to me,
but they stock Ridgid and only have 3rd party filters etc. for
Shopvac. Usually t hat would be fine but in this case the filters are
bags instead of disks, etc.

I loook on Lowes webpage to see if maybe at least this 3rd party is
substantially cheaper. All I can find is the expensive pleated
rubber framed cyclinder filter, and not the paper but washable disks
WHICH I KNOW THEY SELL, because I've been shopping right there in the
last 2 weeks.

They also seem to still want to assign you a store and tell you if
THAT store has what you want. Heck, tell me if Lowes has what I want
and how far it is to the nearest store that has it. I am a big boy
and I have a car.

Lowes and HD seem to be competition for the worst webpages.

Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

All the stories were terrible. I do remember that it has hundreds of
stores and millions of customers and I wonder if these are terrible
flukes or not unusual.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Date: 6/2/06 Rated by: limbojim "Had to phone order in; on hold
for almost half an hour. Asked about delivery time, was assured I'd
have it within 5 biz days. Got it in 7, too late for Memorial Day.
Called to get return authorization; on hold for more than an HOUR. Not
impressed with Home Depot Direct!"

So Memorial day was less than 7 days away and they told him within 5
days. With any store, he should not have relied on that. He must be
young.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Date: 6/2/06 Rated by: limbojim "Had to phone order in; on hold
for almost half an hour. Asked about delivery time, was assured I'd
have it within 5 biz days. Got it in 7, too late for Memorial Day.
Called to get return authorization; on hold for more than an HOUR. Not
impressed with Home Depot Direct!"

So Memorial day was less than 7 days away and they told him within 5
days. With any store, he should not have relied on that. He must be
young.

I have just about given up making contact via telephone. Your
experience on hold for one hour is not unusual; in fact, much of the
time, the system hangs up on the caller.

If it's something REALLY serious/maddening, I go to Yahoo Finance and
get the name, address, phone and fax of the President or CEO, and
send them a polite but firm letter explaining the misdeeds of their
company and specifying what I want for compensation.

The Pres/CEO bucks my letter to somebody in the company who
Gets Things Done. I suspect they are so shocked at receiving a
literate and clear communication, that they hasten to respond.
Also, typically the head of a company knows that he is in business
to make money, and values each customer more than a minimum-wage
phone answerer.

I just don't have time in my life any more to sit on the phone after
pushing 'n" buttons, waiting to interact with an Epsilon Minus.

If it's something less serious/maddening, I fax or email or write
to the local office of the company.

Either way, it saves time and nerves and gets better results than
sitting on hold forever..

Also I tend to agree with previous poster not to count on
promised delivery.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote in
:

Date: 7/4/06 Rated by: Billwood "Being a Contractor, I shopped
Home Depot for years. About 5 years ago, they changed owners &

Did they actually change owners 5 years ago?

obviously the new owners don't know a thing about employee loyalty or
customer service. It's hard to find an employee with a 10 year badge,

I've never seeen a 10 year badge, or a 2 year or 1 year badge. Do
they have such badges?

Ive never seen any year badge at HD that I recognized. But I did see a
guy at WalMart with a 10 Years of Service nametag on an "Associate". Can
you imagine?!!! !0 years at a WalMart as an Associate!!!! He did have
tinted glasses on though. I wonder if he knows where he is working. I
wonder if he knows he is even working. Maybe thinks he's playing a long
video game.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
Ive never seen any year badge at HD that I recognized. But I did see a
guy at WalMart with a 10 Years of Service nametag on an "Associate". Can
you imagine?!!! !0 years at a WalMart as an Associate!!!! He did have
tinted glasses on though. I wonder if he knows where he is working. I
wonder if he knows he is even working. Maybe thinks he's playing a long
video game.

My cousin's been at Wally World that long. Some people evidently like that
kind of work, others find it the most challenging thing they can do. In any
case, it's not nice to make fun of them.

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 18:19:25 -0600, Al Bundy wrote:

mm wrote in
:

Date: 7/4/06 Rated by: Billwood "Being a Contractor, I shopped
Home Depot for years. About 5 years ago, they changed owners &

Did they actually change owners 5 years ago?

Of course not. It'a a publicly traded company. They are one of the thirty
companies of the Dow Jones Industrial Average.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Who, HD in the Dow Avg??
Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the Single Best Way
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
all d'numbuhs
"Karl S" wrote in message
On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 18:19:25 -0600, Al Bundy wrote:

mm wrote in
:

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 02:36:45 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 20:24:25 -0500, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

Who, HD in the Dow Avg??

He's right. http://money.cnn.com/data/dow30/
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/cp?s=%5EDJI

Maybe HD changed the COO or had a big change in other management, 5
years ago?