DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hot water circulator pump repair (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/180948-hot-water-circulator-pump-repair.html)

RayV October 30th 06 01:15 PM

Hot water circulator pump repair

My BIL has a circulator pump leaking around the shaft into the motor.
Is replacing the seal on a B&G LR20 as straightforward as it seems?

Disconnect wires, remove pump, remove impeller, pry off ceramic seal,
replace shaft seal

Can I trust the flo-control valves to keep the system from draining?

The furnace is in the basement and all of the pumps and valves are
mounted high near the ceiling. There are shutoff valves for each zone
on the return side and flo-control vavles after each pump on the supply
side. No shutoff valves for the pumps and I would like to avoid
draining the whole system of a split level house with three zones.

Doug Miller October 30th 06 01:40 PM

In article . com, "RayV" wrote:
My BIL has a circulator pump leaking around the shaft into the motor.
Is replacing the seal on a B&G LR20 as straightforward as it seems?

Check the manufacturer's web site: www.bellgossett.com -- they have service
manuals on-line.

--
Regards,

driglaz October 31st 06 12:12 PM

Hot water circulator pump repair

also see www.circulatorpumps.com to order youe pump.

m Ransley October 31st 06 01:03 PM

Hot water circulator pump repair

If it leaks alot of components are worn, replace it, its easy to do.

RayV October 31st 06 01:25 PM

m Ransley wrote:
If it leaks alot of components are worn, replace it, its easy to do.

The supply house guy convinced me that worn bearings caused the seal to
leak, he sold me a replacement Taco pump for $75.

Four bolts and a wire, much better than trying to rebuild the pump.