Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Changing Color of Porcelain Bath Tub

My wife and I are remodeling our bathroom. We've installed a white
sink and white commode. The existing bathtub is built into the wall.
It's an aqua blue and still in very good shape. We would like to color
the tub white to match the other pieces.

I've found two re-coloring kits: Klenks and Magic American. Both are
epoxy based, and both warn you not to use an abrasive cleaner since it
will eventually remove the new finish.

Had anyone used these and had good results? Is there a better product
for changing a bathtub color?

TIA for any tips, suggestions, comments.

Manjo

Posted to alt.home.repair

at best even done professionally its a short term fix. a few years, 5
at most the paint wears away over time.

if your redoing the bathroom, change the tub too

imagine a nice white room with green spotted tub

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Manjo" wrote in message
oups.com...
My wife and I are remodeling our bathroom. We've installed a white
sink and white commode. The existing bathtub is built into the wall.
It's an aqua blue and still in very good shape. We would like to color
the tub white to match the other pieces.

I've found two re-coloring kits: Klenks and Magic American. Both are
epoxy based, and both warn you not to use an abrasive cleaner since it
will eventually remove the new finish.

Had anyone used these and had good results? Is there a better product
for changing a bathtub color?

TIA for any tips, suggestions, comments.

Manjo

Please forget this idea. It will make you very sad, very soon. Get a new
tub.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Manjo" wrote in message
oups.com...
My wife and I are remodeling our bathroom. We've installed a white
sink and white commode. The existing bathtub is built into the wall.
It's an aqua blue and still in very good shape. We would like to color
the tub white to match the other pieces.

I've found two re-coloring kits: Klenks and Magic American. Both are
epoxy based, and both warn you not to use an abrasive cleaner since it
will eventually remove the new finish.

Had anyone used these and had good results? Is there a better product
for changing a bathtub color?

TIA for any tips, suggestions, comments.

Manjo

Please forget this idea. It will make you very sad, very soon. Get a new
tub.

there are companies that will refinish your tub, some using a spray on
finish , some with an insert .

The do-it -yourself kits often give poor results .

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Manjo" wrote in message
oups.com...
My wife and I are remodeling our bathroom. We've installed a white
sink and white commode. The existing bathtub is built into the wall.
It's an aqua blue and still in very good shape. We would like to color
the tub white to match the other pieces.

I've found two re-coloring kits: Klenks and Magic American. Both are
epoxy based, and both warn you not to use an abrasive cleaner since it
will eventually remove the new finish.

Had anyone used these and had good results? Is there a better product
for changing a bathtub color?

TIA for any tips, suggestions, comments.

Manjo

Please forget this idea. It will make you very sad, very soon. Get a new
tub.

there are companies that will refinish your tub, some using a spray on
finish , some with an insert .

Some of the inserts work nicely. But the refinishing....no, unless you're
happy with a result that doesn't last as long as most people expect from a
NEW tub.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My thanks for all the excellent replies. The tub is not used a lot.
I'm going to try to paint it with an epoxy product with three or more
spray on coats.

Can someone recommend a kit, or perhaps please let me know which kits
to stay away from??

TIA,

Manjo

Manjo wrote:
My wife and I are remodeling our bathroom. We've installed a white
sink and white commode. The existing bathtub is built into the wall.
It's an aqua blue and still in very good shape. We would like to color
the tub white to match the other pieces.

I've found two re-coloring kits: Klenks and Magic American. Both are
epoxy based, and both warn you not to use an abrasive cleaner since it
will eventually remove the new finish.

Had anyone used these and had good results? Is there a better product
for changing a bathtub color?

TIA for any tips, suggestions, comments.

Manjo

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can someone recommend a kit, or perhaps please let me know which kits
to stay away from??

stay away from all kits they are waste of money. at least get it done
professionally

Getting a bathfitter insert is much better idea.........

Posted to alt.home.repair

oups.com...

Manjo wrote:
My wife and I are remodeling our bathroom. We've installed a white
sink and white commode. The existing bathtub is built into the wall.
It's an aqua blue and still in very good shape. We would like to color
the tub white to match the other pieces.

I've found two re-coloring kits: Klenks and Magic American. Both are
epoxy based, and both warn you not to use an abrasive cleaner since it
will eventually remove the new finish.

Had anyone used these and had good results? Is there a better product
for changing a bathtub color?

TIA for any tips, suggestions, comments.

Manjo

First of all, stop top posting. Nobody reads from bottom to top. Fix your
problem.

I agree with hallerb. Forget trying to put another coating on the tub. Look
at inserts. Even if it takes 3 months or a year for you to investigate doing
the job yourself, take the time. If there is an evil force trying to get you
to do this quickly instead of correctly, tell the evil force to concern
herself with other things, like planning how many Christmas cookies she's
going to make. Meditate on doing this job perfectly, and do it YOUR way.
But, no epoxy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Manjo wrote:
My thanks for all the excellent replies. The tub is not used a lot.
I'm going to try to paint it with an epoxy product with three or more
spray on coats.

Can someone recommend a kit, or perhaps please let me know which kits
to stay away from??

TIA,

I just happened to see one yesterday where the contractor painted a blue
tub with white epoxy paint. It looked great and I didn't know it could
even be done. He said he does it all the time and in this case he is
going to be moving into the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 29 Oct 2006 15:23:28 -0800, "Manjo" wrote:

I'm going to try to paint it with an epoxy product with three or more
spray on coats.

Can someone recommend a kit, or perhaps please let me know which kits
to stay away from??

TIA,

Manjo

Be very concerned about toxic and flammable fumes when dealing with
solvents and resins. Its winter now and the house is closed in. You
don't really want to breath in the fumes. If you spray that may
create an explosive mist.

Chipped Bath xavier UK diy 13 October 4th 17 07:10 PM
stablising a bath SoWeezy UK diy 11 May 10th 06 12:17 AM
Chipped enamel bath Dave UK diy 9 April 3rd 06 09:21 PM
Bath Panel - Tiling and removal. [email protected] UK diy 11 May 27th 05 11:39 PM
Bath advice Martin Wilson UK diy 2 November 13th 04 07:44 AM