DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Paint Freezes? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/180588-paint-freezes.html)

Charles Pisano October 27th 06 03:18 AM

Paint Freezes?

I didn't know this. I have an almost full can of latex sitting in my new
(unheated) home up north. I guess I can expect a nice puddle on my
garage floor when I get back..?

CP

krw October 27th 06 03:37 AM

Paint Freezes?

In article ,
says...
I didn't know this. I have an almost full can of latex sitting in my new
(unheated) home up north. I guess I can expect a nice puddle on my
garage floor when I get back..?

It'll be a mess! One morning I heard what sounded like grenades
going off in my garage. I went out to witness a 12-pack of coke
going off like mortars. The neat thing was the well-frozen coke
skittering around on the floor like fizzies on a pond. I crept up
on the mess with a blanket, captured it, and took the rest inside
to warm up.

--
Keith

Edwin Pawlowski October 27th 06 03:40 AM

Paint Freezes?

"Charles Pisano" wrote in message
I didn't know this. I have an almost full can of latex sitting in my new
(unheated) home up north. I guess I can expect a nice puddle on my
garage floor when I get back..?

Almost full is better than full. Should be enough head space to allow for
expansion. I don't think you have any worry.

PV October 27th 06 06:13 AM

Paint Freezes?

"krw" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...
I didn't know this. I have an almost full can of latex sitting in my new
(unheated) home up north. I guess I can expect a nice puddle on my
garage floor when I get back..?

It'll be a mess! One morning I heard what sounded like grenades
going off in my garage. I went out to witness a 12-pack of coke
going off like mortars. The neat thing was the well-frozen coke
skittering around on the floor like fizzies on a pond. I crept up
on the mess with a blanket, captured it, and took the rest inside
to warm up.

--
Keith

Could have been worse....my wife left 24 cans of coke in the middle seat of
our brand new van in January. The red roof became a lovely brown (along
with the seats now looking poxed). Cost a pretty penny getting it detailed
in a hurry.

PV

Karl S October 27th 06 06:59 AM

Paint Freezes?

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 22:18:42 -0400, Charles Pisano wrote:

I didn't know this. I have an almost full can of latex sitting in my new
(unheated) home up north. I guess I can expect a nice puddle on my
garage floor when I get back..?

CP

Probably not. The lid might pop off, but the can probably won't split.

Also, latex paint contains glycol which lowers its freezing point.

Mikey S. October 27th 06 03:22 PM

Paint Freezes?

Having frozen some latex paint by leaving it in the garage, you most likely
won't burst the can, just ruin the paint. At least that's what happened to
me, the paint was separated and 'curdled' when I thawed it out, but nothing
leaked.

--

Mike S.