DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Installing a Cleanout Door (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/180383-installing-cleanout-door.html)

Bill C. October 25th 06 10:09 AM

Installing a Cleanout Door

Hi all,

Recently we had a blower motor replaced for the gas furnace. Since
then I have noticed a foul (oil) smell in the basement. May have been
there intermittently all along. I have come to the conclusion that the
cleanout door / chimney is the source of the odor and soon will be
installing a chimney cleanout door in the basement. Do I need a
special type of mortar? How close to the correct opening size do I
need to be? Are the chimney bricks made of a special/different
material?

What I have now is a door, not airtight, mounted on a wooden frame
that is screwed into the mortar. The cleanout hole is a space were
about 5 bricks were knocked out. I think that I will need to cut some
bricks to size...maybe they come in half sizes? Do I need to worry
about the mortar drying or setting to quickly?

I have not yet purchased the door...any suggested sources? (an online
search turns up only two different doors from many sources) Will
probably go to the local building supply store to buy, no HD for this
one.

Thanks,
Bill