DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   leaning garage (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/180327-leaning-garage.html)

srazor October 24th 06 11:05 PM

leaning garage

Issue: I have a small one car garage, gable end over door and rear, that is leaning to the left. The garage is about 3.5 inches out of plumb over 7' of height. I know how to correct the lean having done it before on a garage that leans front to rear, but i have a question on this job. The rear wall will be simple to correct, I am going to let in a 2x running diagonal across the rear. Now for the question: How do I brace the front? The corner posts are doubled 2x4s wiith a space of around 6" between that and the doubled 2x that are the garage door sides/ header support. I don't believe that this small area will suffice as a shear wall if I sheath it with plywood. My instinct tells me it will just be a wider corner post, around 9" - (2 2X4 + 6 INCH CAVIVITY + 2 2x = 9") that will subsequently lean.

What to do?

Scot

TIA

mike October 24th 06 11:24 PM

leaning garage

srazor wrote:
Issue: I have a small one car garage, gable end over door and rear, that is leaning to the left. The garage is about 3.5 inches out of plumb over 7' of height. I know how to correct the lean having done it before on a garage that leans front to rear, but i have a question on this job.

3.5" out of plumb? Heh, heh. By "knowing how to correct the lean", do
you meaning tearing the heap down and building a new garage?

[email protected] October 25th 06 12:32 AM

leaning garage

srazor wrote:
Issue: I have a small one car garage, gable end over door and rear,
that is leaning to the left.

This doesn't address all your issues, but may help provide some
insights:
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/f...age1/winch.htm

How do I brace the front? The corner posts are doubled 2x4s wiith
a space of around 6" between that and the doubled 2x that are the
garage door sides/ header support. My instinct tells me it will just
be a wider corner post that will subsequently lean.

I'd be tempted to say that some is better than none. How much of the
door header do you have access to? Consider using the largest metal
"L" brackets you can find and lag bolting them to the door columns
and header from the inside...

Something along these lines, but bigger if you can find it:
http://www.doityourself.com/invt/u883355
http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/28...es-501189.aspx
http://www1.acehardwareoutlet.com/ht...uct5291745.htm
http://www.hardwareworld.com/6x6x1-1...p-pRNHASX.aspx

Another way to do this might be to replace the header with one that
goes all the way over to the corners. Then run your plywood that
runs up the studs onto the header, and maybe even bolt it on addition
to your nails or screws--add a piece on the inside as well.

Another way would be to make a large "L" out of ply that would tie the
door columns to the header, like several feet on a side, on both the
inside
and the outside.

--Glenn Lyford

Goedjn October 25th 06 01:12 AM

leaning garage

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 22:05:52 GMT, "srazor" wrote:

Issue: I have a small one car garage, gable end over door and rear, that is leaning to the left. The garage is about 3.5 inches out of plumb over 7' of height. I know how to correct the lean having done it before on a garage that leans front to rear, but i have a question on this job. The rear wall will be simple to correct, I am going to let in a 2x running diagonal across the rear. Now for the question: How do I brace the front? The corner posts are doubled 2x4s wiith a space of around 6" between that and the doubled 2x that are the garage door sides/ header support. I don't believe that this small area will suffice as a shear wall if I sheath it with plywood. My instinct tells me it will just be a wider corner post, around 9" - (2 2X4 + 6 INCH CAVIVITY + 2 2x = 9") that will subsequently lean.

Easiest way would be to drive an 8x8 post just outside that
corner, and brace the garage against it.