Posted to alt.home.repair

Default getting rid of rats

I was most interested by your ace in the hole. Antifreeze. I would
be interested if anyone has knowledge if Antifreeze would pose the
same danger to house animals as poison does. (snip)

In any mammal, including humans, ethylene glycol (the major component
of earlier generation antifreezes) will convert to oxalic acid in the
body which crystallizes in the kidneys, causing a painful internal
bleed leading to death. (A few humans have been saved from same with a
kidney transplant). The sweet odor and taste of it attracts animals and
even small children to consume it. It is one of the major causes of dog
deaths in this country. (the newer antifreezes use propylene glycol,
which is far less toxic).
The Warfarin products that some rat populations are resistant to is
believed to be due to the emergence of a digestive bacteria in the
target rats that produces large amounts of vitamin K, which counteracts
the Warfarin. I believe some newer baits have been formulated with an
antibiotic that kills this bacteria so the Warfarin can do its work. I
do not know the brand name, or where to get it.
I have used a Benjamin .22 pump air rifle with some occasional
success.-Jitney

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 20:01:45 -0600, Lar wrote:

In article ,
says...
I liked the 5 gallon bucket idea, but I wasn't clear on how to get

them
to go into it willingly. I don't have oats, so need another temptation
for them, plus, how to rig the bucket???

I did not see the 5 gallon bucket idea but a roof rat can jump about 3
feet straight up so jumping out of a bucket is no big deal

The 5 gal bucket trick is to fill it 3/4 up with water. Place a layer of
bird seed (oats) on the water..make a ramp with a board with a light
trail of the bird seed up the board...rodent works itself up the ramp
then drops down on to the birdseed in the bucket thinking it is solid
footing.

OK cool
Better make sure that is a new shiny bucket. If there is any texture
on it at all they will just climb out. I am amazed at what the roof
rat can climb, I also had one eat a hole in a 30 gallon rubbermaid
trash can before I could get my pistol to shoot the little ******* I
had the top on it because one had jumped out already. (why I know the
three foot jump thing)
Rattus rattus is a very common pest here is SW Florida. They eat
pretty much everything people plant in their yards and a palm tree is
a rat condo. Of course an attic is the Taj Mahal. Once they eat a few
holes in the A/C ducts it is air conditioned up there.

Get a cat or two. They did that at the LA Port. I quarantee the rats won't
hang around long.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"C.K." wrote in message news:5aHah.24275
Get a cat or two. They did that at the LA Port. I quarantee the rats

won't
hang around long.

My neighbor wasn't very happy when her cat brought one
home to play with.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Edwin Pawlowski, CharlieBear wrote:
High blood pressure leads to a higher risk of a stroke, so Warfrin to
prescribed to thin the blood and prevent clots forming, clots forming and
breaking loose are the cause of strokes.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ts-158714-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/6/16 9:44 PM, CharlieBear wrote:
replying to Edwin Pawlowski, CharlieBear wrote:
High blood pressure leads to a higher risk of a stroke, so Warfrin to
prescribed to thin the blood and prevent clots forming, clots forming and
breaking loose are the cause of strokes.

Anti-coagulants like warfarin are regularly though mistakenly called
blood thinners. Blood ain't no thinner, it just clots slower.

--
We've produced a generation of young people who are delicate little
snowflakes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 10:32:12 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

On 6/6/16 9:44 PM, CharlieBear wrote:
replying to Edwin Pawlowski, CharlieBear wrote:
High blood pressure leads to a higher risk of a stroke, so Warfrin to
prescribed to thin the blood and prevent clots forming, clots forming and
breaking loose are the cause of strokes.

Anti-coagulants like warfarin are regularly though mistakenly called
blood thinners. Blood ain't no thinner, it just clots slower.

Maybe if you compare the average density of blood with hard clots to
blood with soft clots or almost clots, the latter might be lower in
density, thus "thinner". Even though the liquid part of the blood is
unchanged.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 6/6/16 9:44 PM, CharlieBear wrote:
replying to Edwin Pawlowski, CharlieBear wrote:
High blood pressure leads to a higher risk of a stroke, so Warfrin to
prescribed to thin the blood and prevent clots forming, clots forming and
breaking loose are the cause of strokes.

Anti-coagulants like warfarin are regularly though mistakenly called
blood thinners. Blood ain't no thinner, it just clots slower.

Maybe if you compare the average density of blood with hard clots to
blood with soft clots or almost clots, the latter might be lower in
density, thus "thinner". Even though the liquid part of the blood is
unchanged.

It is a "thinner" in that it keeps the blood from getting "thicker"
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Terry, Don wrote:
Antifreeze kills dogs, too. It tastes sweet to them.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ts-158714-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 16:44:01 +0000, Don wrote:

replying to Terry, Don wrote:
Antifreeze kills dogs, too. It tastes sweet to them.

Half the dogs in the country have died since Terry made his post *ten*
years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Terry, Don wrote:
Antifreeze kills dogs, too. It tastes sweet to them.

Half the dogs in the country have died since Terry made his post *ten*
years ago.

They may be stiff, but they're not frozen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to HeyBub, tortugato wrote:
IMPORTANT NOTE!: I didn't read all the comments--this may have been
addressed--but NEVER use ammonia and bleach together. They have a chemical
reaction that forms a poison gas, used in trench warfare in WW I. Bleach is
excellent for cleaning up pathogens, bacterial, and I understand even viral.
Bleach will bring back whites stained by substances, but not grease. Ammonia
is semi-antibacterial, but excellent with grease and oil based cleaning. If
one must use both bleach & ammonia, use the ammonia first, and let it
thoroughly dry. Ammonia will completely go to a gaseous state, thus no
residue. Then use the bleach, but a caution: if you clean with a heavy bleach
solution, the water can dry and leave solid bleach residue. Powdered forms of
bleach have been on the market. If you later use ammonia, you could have the
bleach/ammonia reaction, and damage your lungs or worse.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ts-158714-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Bob F, Jean wrote:

Correct! Blood thinner.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ts-158714-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to maradcliff, Jean wrote:
It is used as blood thinner to prevent strokes.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ts-158714-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/23/2016 10:14 PM, Jean wrote:
replying to Bob F, Jean wrote:

Correct! Blood thinner.

Sorry to have to inform you, but Bob F had a massive stroke and passed
away in November of 2006. Doctors prescribed Coumadin but he refused to
take it as he felt like a rat when he did. There was no viewing because
there was a quarantine do to bubonic plague.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Bob F, Jean wrote:

Correct! Blood thinner.

Sorry to have to inform you, but Bob F had a massive stroke and passed
away in November of 2006. Doctors prescribed Coumadin but he refused to
take it as he felt like a rat when he did. There was no viewing because
there was a quarantine do to bubonic plague.

Rat poison mentioned is an anticoagulant but not coumadin. I knew a guy
that died a couple of years ago that refused to take coumadin but don't
know if stroke did him in.

Do wish we did not see all the old homeowners hub crap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/24/2016 9:03 AM, Frank wrote:

Rat poison mentioned is an anticoagulant but not coumadin. I knew a guy
that died a couple of years ago that refused to take coumadin but don't
know if stroke did him in.

Do wish we did not see all the old homeowners hub crap.

Coumadin is the brand name for warfarin. anticoagulant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Mr_Bill, Jean wrote:
Thank you.. I will certainly follow your advice. You have several options I
have not tried.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ts-158714-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Terry, Debbie A Lukezic wrote:
3 tbsp of anti freeze will kill a 22 lb dog...a slow painful death!!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ts-158714-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to EXT, Brain wrote:
Good sized dog?Nah actually the best rat dog that I have ever had was a
longhaired dachshund. They were originally bred for hunting badgers.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ts-158714-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Terry, Brian wrote:
Dogs and cats love antifreeze and it will drop them in their tracks do NOT use
antifreeze around pets

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ts-158714-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

stop voting for them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/17 12:44 PM, Brian wrote:
replying to Terry, Brian wrote:
Dogs and cats love antifreeze and it will drop them in their tracks do
NOT use
antifreeze around pets

I remember a criminal case where a woman was convicted of killing two
successive husbands by slipping small amounts of antifreeze into their
food and drink over a period of months.

--
There is nothing more terrifying to a home invader than the sound of a
shell being racked in a pump shotgun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Mr_Bill, Linda wrote:
LindaHow u doing ?How much antifreeze to use???

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ts-158714-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam

Default JEAN IS "getting rid of rats."

On 11/27/2016 2:44 PM, Jean wrote:
replying to Mr_Bill, Jean wrote:
Thank you.. I will certainly follow your advice. You have several options I
have not tried.

The real question is...how can one get rid of these phony vets?
Stolen valor and all that stuff...

Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.home.repair,alt.slack

On Mon, 22 May 2017 06:06:43 -0700, "fake vet Colon Edmund J. Burke"
wrote:

On 11/27/2016 2:44 PM, Jean wrote:
replying to Mr_Bill, Jean wrote:
Thank you.. I will certainly follow your advice. You have several options I
have not tried.

The real question is...how can one get rid of these phony vets?
Stolen valor and all that stuff...

You mean, phony vets like you and Jacqui, KKKoloon?

LOLOK

--
Illuc vadam nisi Dei gratia.

Tu [sic] es [sic] mulieri [sic] nequam [sic] (LOL)
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam

"Colonel Edmund J. Burke" wrote
in :

On 11/27/2016 2:44 PM, Jean wrote:
replying to Mr_Bill, Jean wrote:
Thank you.. I will certainly follow your advice. You have
several options I have not tried.

The real question is...how can one get rid of these phony
vets? Stolen valor and all that stuff...

Care for some cyber sex?
Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.home.repair,alt.slack

wrote:

On 11/27/2016 2:44 PM, Jean wrote:
replying to Mr_Bill, Jean wrote:
Thank you.. I will certainly follow your advice. You have several options I
have not tried.

The real question is...how can one get rid of these phony vets?
Stolen valor and all that stuff...

You mean, phony vets like you and Jacqui, KKKoloon?

LOLOK

--
Illuc vadam nisi Dei gratia.

Tu [sic] es [sic] mulieri [sic] nequam [sic] (LOL)

Wot's that, Miss Idiot Recktum?
Having trouble with Latin grammar again?
LOL

Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.home.repair,alt.slack

wrote:

On 11/27/2016 2:44 PM, Jean wrote:
replying to Mr_Bill, Jean wrote:
Thank you.. I will certainly follow your advice. You have several options I
have not tried.

The real question is...how can one get rid of these phony vets?
Stolen valor and all that stuff...

You mean, phony vets like you and Jacqui, KKKoloon?

LOLOK

--
Illuc vadam nisi Dei gratia.

Tu [sic] es [sic] mulieri [sic] nequam [sic] (LOL)

Wot's that, Miss Idiot Recktum?

Wot's wot, KKKoloon?

Having trouble with Latin grammar again?
LOL

You, ARE moulie...BIG trouble!

Caco ergo sum.

LOLOK

--
Illuc vadam nisi Dei gratia.

Tu [sic] es [sic] mulieri [sic] nequam [sic] (LOL)
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam

On 5/22/2017 10:49 AM, Private Neal Warren wrote:
"Colonel Edmund J. Burke" wrote
in :

On 11/27/2016 2:44 PM, Jean wrote:
replying to Mr_Bill, Jean wrote:
Thank you.. I will certainly follow your advice. You have
several options I have not tried.

The real question is...how can one get rid of these phony
vets? Stolen valor and all that stuff...

Care for some cyber sex?

How about a five-fingered knuckle sandwich for you?
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Mr_Bill, Wizard wrote:
Antifreeze was reformulated 10 years ago to be pet safe....brake fluid glycols
were not

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ts-158714-.htm

Rats in the ceiling - repelling? [email protected] Home Repair 32 September 27th 06 05:13 AM
Rats! a tail of woe, probably pointless Ray UK diy 22 July 4th 06 11:29 PM
Oh Rats! david lang UK diy 38 September 2nd 05 04:59 PM
rats MB UK diy 0 April 5th 04 11:05 AM
Rats in attic insulation... Mark UK diy 20 March 1st 04 08:46 PM