DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What to do with these stairs? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/180094-what-do-these-stairs.html)

[email protected] October 22nd 06 08:32 PM

What to do with these stairs?

Hi,

I think I have unsual stairs in that each tread does not extend
"inward" past the one above, resulting in something like this:

http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/stair.jpg

There was previously an artificial extention made of crappy pine which
I removed when I had just removed the carpet.

At this point I'm not sure whether:

1. To replace the tread brackets to extend down to the tread bracket
below.
2. To cosmetically fix (wood putty, paint) the part that was previously
occupied by the artificial extension.
3. And this one is doubtful - to once again artificially extends the
treads, this time doing a better job than the previous owner.

What's your opinion?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Tim Fischer October 23rd 06 06:00 AM

What to do with these stairs?

Are you going to recarpet? Is there a reason you don't like the "artificial
extensions"? Seems like lots less work to just replace them and recarpet.

-Tim

[email protected] October 23rd 06 02:17 PM

What to do with these stairs?

Tim Fischer wrote:
Are you going to recarpet? Is there a reason you don't like the "artificial
extensions"? Seems like lots less work to just replace them and recarpet.

-Tim

Hi Tim,

No recarpenting. Getting the stairs refinished.

Thanks.

Tim Fischer October 23rd 06 04:14 PM

What to do with these stairs?

wrote in message
oups.com...

Tim Fischer wrote:
Are you going to recarpet? Is there a reason you don't like the
"artificial
extensions"? Seems like lots less work to just replace them and
recarpet.

-Tim

Hi Tim,

No recarpenting. Getting the stairs refinished.

In that case, what are the treads made out of? From the pic it doesn't look
like a 'good' wood, but maybe it just looks that way.

Assuming you're not going to replace the treads, then I guess I'd either go
with your option #1, or remove each tread, cut it back so that it no longer
overhangs the stringer, then add a new 'extension' out of the same wood
which is the width of the tread plus the extension.

-Tim