Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hoover Steam Vac, brushes stopped - repair/service manual?

I borrowed my in-laws Hoover Steam Vac (Dual V widepath, model
F7426-900)... Well, I know for a fact that this is the 3rd one they
have had, as the first 2 were returned for leaks and other problems.
Anyhow, I digress...

Here's the problem, the machine powers on but the brushes won't spin.
When I first turned it on, they were spinning very slowly and I heard a
grinding sound, like there were broken plastic pieces inside.

I do not want to take this thing to a Hoover service center and
probably spend more in repairs than the unit is worth. So, before I
tear into this thing I wanted to have a repair manual to look
through... NOT the owner's manual, but a service manual with exploded
views and part numbers. I want to know how to disassemble the unit
properly, rather than just unscrewing an pulling on things.

Does anyone know where Hoover publishes these manuals? They must have
them somewhere.

Thanks,

Scott

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
Scott wrote:
[...]

They are likely on the hoover web site. Try:

http://www.hoover.com/db/hvrCustomer.asp

on that page is a place to put in model & serial for manuals, parts &
information. Or try customer service @ 330-499-9499.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L
Posted to alt.home.repair

They are likely on the hoover web site. Try:

http://www.hoover.com/db/hvrCustomer.asp

on that page is a place to put in model & serial for manuals, parts &
information. Or try customer service @ 330-499-9499.

Trust me, this is the first place I went... what a joke! They do have
the users manual online, which is completely worthless. Their idea of a
replacement part is cleaning solution.

Their parent company, Maytag, has a nice part lookup for appliances...
it shows exploded views in great detail.

I don't know if Hoover just wants to force you to one of their service
centers or what. All I know is that those repair manuals are somewhere;
I just need to find someone to tell me where they are... Customer
services will not tell me anything other than directing me to a service
center.

I do know this... I will never by another Maytag or Hoover product
again. I'll spare you the problems I had with my Maytag Neptune...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

We are on our first one and we have a large house of carpeting. I suspect
your in-laws abused it. Our has been trouble free for many years.

"Scott" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art wrote:
We are on our first one and we have a large house of carpeting. I suspect
your in-laws abused it. Our has been trouble free for many years.

OK, how does that response help??? I don't care that yours is fine...
and no, its not from abuse, the thing is brand new (two uses).

After further digging, it turns out that Turbine Gear Assembly is
bad... I found one on eBay for 20.00, so it's worth repairing, but I
still think the thing is poorly made. However, it does clean well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

***UPDATE***

I found the problem and took the time to document it with some
pictures:

http://www.sacreativeservices.com/fo...uff/steam_vac/

Hopefully this will help someone else that encounters the same problem.

Later,

Scott

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott wrote:
***UPDATE***

I found the problem and took the time to document it with some
pictures:

http://www.sacreativeservices.com/fo...uff/steam_vac/

Hopefully this will help someone else that encounters the same problem.

Later,

Scott

Thanks for the pictures. I also have one of those machines and had to
replace some of the parts. I just started to remove screws until I got
to the brushes. Parts were sold by local Hoover parts guy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't you just love plastic, high stress gears? I realise this post is
no help now that you found the problem. But, don't be suprised when it
breaks again. I found with that particular machine it works fine and
for a long time on very short carpet but trying to clean anything with
any kind of length to it seems to put to much stress on the pos plastic
parts and they crack, break or strip all the teath.
Chuck B. wrote:
Scott wrote:
***UPDATE***

I found the problem and took the time to document it with some
pictures:

http://www.sacreativeservices.com/fo...uff/steam_vac/

Hopefully this will help someone else that encounters the same problem.

Later,

Scott

Thanks for the pictures. I also have one of those machines and had to
replace some of the parts. I just started to remove screws until I got
to the brushes. Parts were sold by local Hoover parts guy.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

My carpet is short. Maybe that explains why it works well. We rented a Rug
Doctor with vibration to do my parents. That seemed to do a decent job too.
Might be better for some since it has to be made to stand up to abuse.

ups.com...
Chuck B. wrote:
Scott wrote:
***UPDATE***

I found the problem and took the time to document it with some
pictures:

http://www.sacreativeservices.com/fo...uff/steam_vac/

Hopefully this will help someone else that encounters the same problem.

Later,

Scott

Thanks for the pictures. I also have one of those machines and had to
replace some of the parts. I just started to remove screws until I got
to the brushes. Parts were sold by local Hoover parts guy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

these pictures were incredibly helpful. i could not not figure out how
to get the cover off until I saw these photos (i could see what screws
he had been removed and which he had not; that allowed me to figure out
how to take it off without breaking something).

before you replace or disassemble the turbine, check the spring that
connects to the on/off switch. you have to remove the cover to see
this.

as it turns out, my problem was not the brush turbine -- a spring had
come loose on the brushes' on/off switch (see right side of Scott's
first photo).

the way the turbine works is that the on/off switch opens and closes a
little door that controls wind from the vacuum. when the switch is in
the 'on' position, the little door is open, allowing wind to go inside
the turbine and turn the gears inside, and they in turn cause the
brushes to spin. in my case, the spring came loose, the little door
stayed closed, and no wind got in no matter how much i played with the
switch on the outside. the whole thing is actually a pretty simple
construction.

i did put some grease and WD40 on the inside of the turbine, which had
started to rust a little.

my model is a steamvac 7431-900.

good luck, and thanks again Scott for taking the time to post pictures.
could not have done it without you and you probably saved me a bundle
in repair costs.

Scott wrote:
***UPDATE***

I found the problem and took the time to document it with some
pictures:

http://www.sacreativeservices.com/fo...uff/steam_vac/

Hopefully this will help someone else that encounters the same problem.

Later,

Scott

Posted to alt.home.repair

***Another Update***

When I got the replacement turbine gear assembly, I took it apart to
see if there were any improvements.

They did put a much better barring inside, maybe that was the root
cause of the failure?

Anyhow... works fine for now.

Later,

Scott

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
***UPDATE***

I found the problem and took the time to document it with some
pictures:

http://www.sacreativeservices.com/fo...uff/steam_vac/

Hopefully this will help someone else that encounters the same problem.

Later,

Scott

Scott,

I found this very helpful. I have managed to get mine apart but I do not see anything broke. Can you tell me if you can turn the gears by hand using the brush? I hope this makes sense. If not please contact me via e-mail.
Thank you
Kim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Jan, 22:08, kstar24 wrote:
Scott Wrote:

***UPDATE***

I found the problem and took the time to document it with some
pictures:

http://www.sacreativeservices.com/fo...uff/steam_vac/

Hopefully this will help someone else that encounters the same
problem.

Later,

Scott

Scott,

I found this very helpful. I have managed to get mine apart but I do
not see anything broke. Can you tell me if you can turn the gears by
hand using the brush? I hope this makes sense. If not please contact me
via e-mail.
Thank you
Kim

--
kstar24

Scott
Found your pictures very useful. I opened mine up and fortunetly did
not find a broken turbine disc but instead just a very jammed disc. I
slowly hand turned the gear, important word is slowly so as not to
break the disc, and managed to get the disc through a rough spot. The
disc rotated freely after this so I assembled everything back together
and the vacuuam works fine. I wonder what caused it to get stuck in
the first place. Hoover definetly could have used some better anti
corroding bearings.

Kim if your still having problems, I wouldn't recommend turning the
gears at the brushes but instead try to disassemble everything and get
down to the turbine disc and then try to slowly rotate the disc.

Thanks For your help Scott

Posted to alt.home.repair

kchinery had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ua-158746-.htm
:
Thanks for this very informative information Scott...........I had the
same problem with the brushes and if it hadn't been for your pictures
would never have figured out the problem. I took mine apart and got
lucky, the gears were locked up but in good shape.........put it back
together and working like new..........Ken

-------------------------------------
Scott wrote:

***UPDATE***

I found the problem and took the time to document it with some
pictures:

http://www.sacreativeservices.com/fo...uff/steam_vac/

Hopefully this will help someone else that encounters the same problem.

Later,

Scott

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Scott, jackie wrote:
I realize this thread is old, but, my steam vac is having this problem,
what I have found so far is the little green plastic piece that going to
the turbine is twisted off, but when I turn it on without the brushes on
the little square where the that piece goes doesn't spin, so I don't know
if I just need a new brush set or a brush and a turbine motor. Hope
someone can help. the link Scott put up doesn't work anymore.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...al-158636-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:44:02 PM UTC-6, jackie wrote:
replying to Scott, jackie wrote:

I realize this thread is old, but, my steam vac is having this problem,

what I have found so far is the little green plastic piece that going to

the turbine is twisted off, but when I turn it on without the brushes on

the little square where the that piece goes doesn't spin, so I don't know

if I just need a new brush set or a brush and a turbine motor. Hope

someone can help. the link Scott put up doesn't work anymore.

--

posted from

http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...al-158636-.htm

using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface

to home and garden related groups

Jackie, unfortunately it sounds like you will need at least a new brush set, and possibly a new turbine. You may get lucky and find that like a previous poster did the spring has fallen off thus not allowing any air into the turbine. To diagnose further will require you to almost completely disassemble the bottom portion of the cleaner. Not sure if you are mechanically inclined enough to be comfortable doing that, or if you may know someone who is. Worse case scenario is you have to take it to an appliance service center to get them to look at it. If you go that route I would recommend telling them that you do not want to pay more than X amount of dollars to fix it, as you can buy a brand new one for around $200. Hope this helps and good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to jackie, Jackie wrote:
jackie wrote:

I realize this thread is old, but, my steam vac is having this problem,

what
have found so far is the little green plastic piece that going to the

turbine is
twisted off, but when I turn it on without the brushes on the little square
where the that piece goes doesn't spin, so I don't know if I just need a

new
brush set or a brush and a turbine motor. Hope someone can help. the link

Scott
put up doesn't work anymore.

Hi here"s what i did,
first might sure that that green square pin isn't twisted off, if it is
replace the brushes.
if you can put something in the square hole in the bottom of the machine
where the pin fits, if it turns the turbine is it ok, if not you have a
bad turbine( when going to purchase one, compare it to the one you have.)
The brushes will not spin if the handle is locked up, it has to be in the
push position.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...al-158636-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to home and garden related groups

Junior Member

Nice information which you share with us,Vacuum cleaning is the best method of cleaning for house cleaning. There are many other methods which has been used for cleaning just like upholstery cleaning, steam cleaning, and spray cleaning, vacuum cleaning is better than all methods .For more information about Vacuum cleaning you should visit our site.

carpet cleaning gold coast

Last edited by Gammer0 : July 20th 13 at 04:45 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jackie, Chris wrote:
Jackie wrote:

turbine is
Scott
Hi here"s what i did,
first might sure that that green square pin isn't twisted off, if it is

replace
the brushes.
if you can put something in the square hole in the bottom of the machine

where
the pin fits, if it turns the turbine is it ok, if not you have a bad

turbine(
when going to purchase one, compare it to the one you have.)
The brushes will not spin if the handle is locked up, it has to be in the

push
position.

I am having this same problem, but the links with the diagrams and repair
manuals are broken. Does anyone have a saved copy of them?

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...al-158636-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to home and garden related groups

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had 2 units that over time failed, brushes quit turning. the local service center claimed the problem was from using the wrong detergent.....

service cost more than a new unit,so i bought a new one but then the second one failed after using only hoover detergent.....

so i tossed the plastic junk and pulled up all the remaining carpet.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd have said "well, it's broken, can't do any
worse". Took it apart, and looked for broken gears,
broken drive belts, etc. If you're repair minded,
or know someone who is. Maybe they can be fixed.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/6/2013 10:06 PM, bob haller wrote:
I had 2 units that over time failed, brushes quit

turning. the local service center claimed the problem
was from using the wrong detergent.....

service cost more than a new unit,so i bought a new

one but then the second one failed after using only
hoover detergent.....

so i tossed the plastic junk and pulled up all the

remaining carpet.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Art, Mr.Fixit wrote:
begunaNOSPAMPLEASE wrote:

We are on our first one and we have a large house of carpeting. I suspect
your in-laws abused it. Our has been trouble free for many years.
"Scott" wrote in message
ups.com...

I found my brush stoppage after taking
the steam vac apart! The Off-Lo-Hi switch had gotten pushed over to 0ff
by a piece of furniture!
Maybe you will be as blessed as me with this solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Went to turn it back on would not turn on. Help I it its the switch how do I fix it
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

Went to turn it back on would not turn on. Help I it its the switch how do I fix it

DAGS

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/13/2016 8:48 PM, Hugh Jass wrote:

My older (15 - 20 year old) consumer carpet cleaner has been repaired by
me a few times. First to replace/remove dried out internal hoses. The
brush problem on mine is mechanical.
The brushes don't turn unless the upper part of the machine is dropped
down and pushes against a plastic arm that engages the brushes. As time
wears on that plastic arm and the plastic housing that holds it in place
tends to bow out with the physical stress of pressing against the arm,
preventing the brushes from engaging. You can manually push the arm
yourself and enable the brushes if needed, otherwise time for a new
machine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Scott, karen. blaylock wrote:
Hi Scott the link you posted is no longer there wonder if you could repost it.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...al-158636-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Apr 2017 02:14:02 GMT, karen. blaylock
m wrote:

replying to Scott, karen. blaylock wrote:
Hi Scott the link you posted is no longer there wonder if you could repost it.

The link has bugs, or maybe gerbils got into the system. Gerbils do
clog vac systems for sure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to jvminnick, crisa wrote:
can u please share this pictures. it's been a while i am having the same
problem at this time.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...al-158636-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/2017 3:44 PM, crisa wrote:
replying to jvminnick, crisa wrote:
can u please share this pictures. it's been a while i am having the same
problem at this time.

I have an older Hoover Steem Vac.
There is a plastic lever in the bottom unit on the right side that
activates the brushes when you lower the handle into an operating
position. Over time the lever develops too much play in the plastic and
no longer activates the brushes. You can manually activate the brushes
by pushing the lever into the proper position with your hand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Scott, neelie wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-vPOk9kEag

--