Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old October 21st 06, 08:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair
mzm mzm is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Oct 2006
Posts: 3
Default Radon Mediation

How effective is radon mediation when the house is testing at 9.7?


  #2   Report Post  
Old October 21st 06, 08:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 480
Default Radon Mediation

mzm wrote:
How effective is radon mediation when the house is testing at 9.7?


It is difficult to guess as each application is different. However I
would suggest that when it is done properly it is almost always very
effective. The trick is to have someone who is knowledgeable and honest do
the work.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit


  #3   Report Post  
Old October 22nd 06, 05:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 557
Default Radon Mediation

On 21 Oct 2006 12:06:43 -0700, "mzm" wrote:

How effective is radon mediation when the house is testing at 9.7?


imho:

Each type has its own success ratio.

I found this, http://www.epa.gov/radon/pubs/consgu...l#installtable

it says subslab suction, low range it only 50% so you can get down to
4.85, which is still over the 4 action limit. So worse case it seems
that subslab suction will have to be used in conjunction with another
technique like sealing cracks and seams.

Good luck, please keep us up todate to yoru success.

later,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com


  #4   Report Post  
Old October 22nd 06, 05:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 657
Default Radon Mediation


mzm wrote:
How effective is radon mediation when the house is testing at 9.7?


9.7 where. If that's in the basement, you might have success. It that
on the first floor, then wow.

Age of house plays a factor, too. Newer ones are tighter.

You don't happen to have a drainage system under your slab, do you?

Do you have a basement or a crawl space or what?

  #5   Report Post  
Old October 22nd 06, 05:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair
mzm mzm is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Oct 2006
Posts: 3
Default Radon Mediation


Pat wrote:
mzm wrote:
How effective is radon mediation when the house is testing at 9.7?


9.7 where. If that's in the basement, you might have success. It that
on the first floor, then wow.

Age of house plays a factor, too. Newer ones are tighter.

You don't happen to have a drainage system under your slab, do you?

Do you have a basement or a crawl space or what?


The test was done in a basement, if the sellers didn't move the
canister. I am really nervous about this especially because I have a
four year old, and we are making a choice to maybe move into this
house. The house is 18 years old, and yes it does have a drainage
system under the slab.



  #6   Report Post  
Old October 22nd 06, 05:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair
mzm mzm is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Oct 2006
Posts: 3
Default Radon Mediation


Tom The Great wrote:
On 21 Oct 2006 12:06:43 -0700, "mzm" wrote:

How effective is radon mediation when the house is testing at 9.7?


imho:

Each type has its own success ratio.

I found this, http://www.epa.gov/radon/pubs/consgu...l#installtable

it says subslab suction, low range it only 50% so you can get down to
4.85, which is still over the 4 action limit. So worse case it seems
that subslab suction will have to be used in conjunction with another
technique like sealing cracks and seams.

Good luck, please keep us up todate to yoru success.

later,


Thanks for the info. I am not too confortable with these percentages.
I am waiting till tomorrow to speak with some local mitigators.

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com


  #7   Report Post  
Old October 22nd 06, 05:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 657
Default Radon Mediation


mzm wrote:
Pat wrote:
mzm wrote:
How effective is radon mediation when the house is testing at 9.7?


9.7 where. If that's in the basement, you might have success. It that
on the first floor, then wow.

Age of house plays a factor, too. Newer ones are tighter.

You don't happen to have a drainage system under your slab, do you?

Do you have a basement or a crawl space or what?


The test was done in a basement, if the sellers didn't move the
canister. I am really nervous about this especially because I have a
four year old, and we are making a choice to maybe move into this
house. The house is 18 years old, and yes it does have a drainage
system under the slab.


You need professional help :-))

If might be able to install a sub-soil abatement system. You
effectively venilate the subsoil. You hook up a pump and pump air into
the drainage field at various locations. Then you try to go to the
other side and suck out air. But you need a pretty good, rough stone
bed under the house. See if you can find someone who knows how to
handle it. Then you seal the basement walls, too. You also have to
examine your make-up air. If your dryer is on the first floor and you
turn it on, where is the air coming from. You don't want to draw up
basement air and bring that into the living space. Same for furnace
(esp. forced air), air conditioning, etc. etc.

You might also be able to ventilate the heck out of the basement and
just keep it from coming up. Might work in warmer climates but not in
colder ones.

If you can get a good abatement plan, you'll be fine. But it'll cost
money, so get an estimate before you buy. You'll need to talk to the
seller. That's the GOOD news.

The bad news is that radon comes from underground rock formations. If
you have it in one area, you'll probably have it in other areas that
are nearby. So if you want to live in that area, you'll have to deal
with it.

I don't want to be all gloom and doom. I just think you should examine
it before you decide. Professional help is available.
So, if you're not in love with the house and not willing to invest some
time (and maybe money) to see if this house is feasible, cut your
losses and move on. If you are, it makes sense to do your homework
BEFORE you buy.

Breathe deeply and put your emotions about homebuying aside, if you are
buying. Spend the time (and money) to get the reports and information
you need before you buy. If a report comes back bad, don't be afraid
to walk from a just because you've invested money in it. That's part
of the process. But if the reports are good, you know you're making a
good choice.

  #8   Report Post  
Old October 22nd 06, 07:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,490
Default Radon Mediation

On 22 Oct 2006 09:18:19 -0700, "mzm" wrote:


Pat wrote:
mzm wrote:
How effective is radon mediation when the house is testing at 9.7?


9.7 where. If that's in the basement, you might have success. It that
on the first floor, then wow.

Age of house plays a factor, too. Newer ones are tighter.

You don't happen to have a drainage system under your slab, do you?

Do you have a basement or a crawl space or what?


The test was done in a basement, if the sellers didn't move the
canister. I am really nervous about this especially because I have a
four year old, and we are making a choice to maybe move into this
house. The house is 18 years old, and yes it does have a drainage
system under the slab.



Personally I'd move on and select another house. Keep in mind that
radon levels vary from season to season and levels are usually highest
in the lowest part of the house.
  #9   Report Post  
Old October 23rd 06, 02:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 557
Default Radon Mediation

On 22 Oct 2006 09:20:44 -0700, "mzm" wrote:


Tom The Great wrote:
On 21 Oct 2006 12:06:43 -0700, "mzm" wrote:

How effective is radon mediation when the house is testing at 9.7?


imho:

Each type has its own success ratio.

I found this, http://www.epa.gov/radon/pubs/consgu...l#installtable

it says subslab suction, low range it only 50% so you can get down to
4.85, which is still over the 4 action limit. So worse case it seems
that subslab suction will have to be used in conjunction with another
technique like sealing cracks and seams.

Good luck, please keep us up todate to yoru success.

later,


Thanks for the info. I am not too confortable with these percentages.
I am waiting till tomorrow to speak with some local mitigators.

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com



Talk to your neighbors. Find out who they recommend, check with the
BBB for any potential contractors, and read the EPA site. I belive it
has suggestions about getting guarentees about a reduction level.

Good luck,

tom

  #10   Report Post  
Old October 23rd 06, 04:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 604
Default Radon Mediation

In article ,
says...
On 21 Oct 2006 12:06:43 -0700, "mzm" wrote:

How effective is radon mediation when the house is testing at 9.7?


imho:

Each type has its own success ratio.

I found this,
http://www.epa.gov/radon/pubs/consgu...l#installtable

it says subslab suction, low range it only 50% so you can get down to
4.85, which is still over the 4 action limit. So worse case it seems
that subslab suction will have to be used in conjunction with another
technique like sealing cracks and seams.


My raised ranch in NY had 12pCi/L radon in the basement. A sub-
slab pump brought it down to under 3pCi/L.

Good luck, please keep us up todate to yoru success.


--
Keith


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If a basement is sealed can it still test + for radon? 46erjoe Home Repair 29 June 29th 06 04:10 PM
Anyone have experience with digital radon detectors? mtco Home Repair 0 April 8th 06 10:32 AM
Radon information. PVR Home Repair 11 September 14th 05 12:56 PM
DANGER: RADON Yeung Fun Ho Home Repair 29 July 19th 05 02:01 AM
radon pump squealing Barbara White Home Repair 3 September 10th 04 10:15 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017