Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet rocks when you sit on it?

I have a toilet set on tile. When you sit on it it moves forward a tad,
when you get off it rocks back to its resting posistion. I also notice
when it sees a lot of activity, a small amount of water comes out of
the front section where the base meets the tile.I have checked the nuts
and they are tight. I assume the tile is not level and this is the
problem? Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a toilet set on tile. When you sit on it it moves forward a tad,
when you get off it rocks back to its resting posistion. I also notice
when it sees a lot of activity, a small amount of water comes out of
the front section where the base meets the tile.I have checked the nuts
and they are tight. I assume the tile is not level and this is the
problem? Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.

If you have a wood subfloor, you should treat the water leak with great
urgency. I'd wager that a little bit of water is leaking out with each flush
(after a 'lot of activity' enough leaked water has built up to leak out from
under the toilet). Since you have tile, you will most likely find a rough
cutout around the flange (the toilet's drain hole in the floor) where some
subfloor is exposed, which will inevitably suffer from water damage.

Tile sometimes causes sealing problems because of it's thickness and
standard wax rings aren't always enough to bridge the gap between the flange
and the toilet base. Use an extra thick ring, or in an extreme case (thick
tile like travertine on top of 1/2" concrete backerboard on top of wood
subfloor) you may have to stack rings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

First, the wax ring is shot and needs to be replaced and any water
damage evaluated.

I heard a pro plumber recommend using pennies to shim toilets on uneven
tile floors (uneven tile, not uneven floor, which is a bigger problem).

-rev

wrote:
I have a toilet set on tile. When you sit on it it moves forward a tad,
when you get off it rocks back to its resting posistion. I also notice
when it sees a lot of activity, a small amount of water comes out of
the front section where the base meets the tile.I have checked the nuts
and they are tight. I assume the tile is not level and this is the
problem? Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

likely a broken cracked flange or bolt

FIX IMMEDIATELY!

My mom didnt and had to replace entire bathroom floor including all new
tile. the water leak gets into the plywood delaminates and rots floor.
can cost thousands to fix if let go.

pull toilet, new wax ring check bolts and flange, repair floor if
needed.

YOU NEED TO FIX THIS IMMEDIATELY!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well one thing you can do is ask chicks to come over to your place. Tell
them your toilet ROCKS! When you say it, hold your hand up with the
forefinger and pinky sticking up like the devil's horns sign. Chicks will
dig it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message

Install a new wax ring.

This would be roughly analogous to leveling the foundation of your house
with PlayDo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

1. Set it in a mortar bed

I would never do that. What do you do when you have to pull the toilet for
some reason (repair, reflooring, etc)?

A bead of caulk around the whole underside of the toilet should be plenty to
keep it from rocking (once you replace the wax ring, as everyone else
indicated). I like to leave a gap at the back so that if there is a leak
in the future, you'll have some indication. If the floor is so unlevel that
caulk won't make up the gap, then I'd seriously be cursing whoever laid the
floor...

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jeffc" wrote in message
.. .

"Oren" wrote in message

Install a new wax ring.

This would be roughly analogous to leveling the foundation of your house
with PlayDo.

Did you read the rest of the post??

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tim Fischer wrote:
1. Set it in a mortar bed

I would never do that. What do you do when you have to pull the
toilet for some reason (repair, reflooring, etc)?

1. Remove bolt caps
2. Remove bolts
3. Lift up toilet
4. Knock off any mortar. Easiest if one has thoughtfully applied a
parting coat of whatever. Ditto on floor.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tim Fischer" wrote in message
. ..

"jeffc" wrote in message
.. .

"Oren" wrote in message

Install a new wax ring.

This would be roughly analogous to leveling the foundation of your house
with PlayDo.

Did you read the rest of the post??

Yes, but I was responding to his part of the post. Installing a new wax
ring is irrelevant and beside the point at best.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jeffc" wrote in message

Yes, but I was responding to his part of the post. Installing a new wax
ring is irrelevant and beside the point at best.

It is totally relavant. The OP said his toilet was leaking at the base.
That's a sign of a bad wax ring.

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

Wouldn't that prevent me from knowing if it begins to leak again?

See my earlier post. Leave a gap at the back of the toilet, where water can
seep out and leaks can be dectected. Placing it at the back will make it
not visible.

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 15:29:23 GMT, "jeffc" wrote:

"Tim Fischer" wrote in message

"jeffc" wrote in message
.. .

"Oren" wrote in message

Install a new wax ring.

This would be roughly analogous to leveling the foundation of your house
with PlayDo.

Did you read the rest of the post??

Yes, but I was responding to his part of the post. Installing a new wax
ring is irrelevant and beside the point at best.

"analogous", A N A L

Fixing a rocking toilet, in my case involved two wax rings stacked and
shims to get it to stop rocking and get it to seal correctly.. That is
what I posted. Every rocking toilet will/may not be repaired the same.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message

Fixing a rocking toilet, in my case involved two wax rings stacked and
shims to get it to stop rocking and get it to seal correctly.. That is
what I posted. Every rocking toilet will/may not be repaired the same.
--

The real solution is to stop doing what makes the toilet rock before you go
blind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 15:29:23 GMT, "jeffc" wrote:

Fixing a rocking toilet, in my case involved two wax rings stacked and
shims to get it to stop rocking and get it to seal correctly.. That is
what I posted. Every rocking toilet will/may not be repaired the same.

It was the shims, not the wax rings. I don't expect you to know that, but
I'm telling others listening that you're not really sure what you're talking
about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jeffc" wrote in message

Yes, but I was responding to his part of the post. Installing a new wax
ring is irrelevant and beside the point at best.

It is totally relavant. The OP said his toilet was leaking at the base.
That's a sign of a bad wax ring.

That may be. The other posted implied wax rings are a cure for a rocking
toilet. I was clearing that up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 23:08:21 GMT, "jeffc" wrote:

.. .

And you are full of ****. You don't tell anybody here what to do.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jeffc" wrote in message

Yes, but I was responding to his part of the post. Installing a new wax
ring is irrelevant and beside the point at best.

It is totally relavant. The OP said his toilet was leaking at the base.
That's a sign of a bad wax ring.

That may be. The other posted implied wax rings are a cure for a rocking
toilet. I was clearing that up.

You are full of ****, wax rings are not the cure and who said that?
Frankly, I would not let you clean up my crapper. Do you clean?

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
It is totally relavant. The OP said his toilet was leaking at the base.
That's a sign of a bad wax ring.

That may be. The other posted implied wax rings are a cure for a rocking
toilet. I was clearing that up.

You are full of ****, wax rings are not the cure and who said that?

Apparently, you're a complete moron and it's time for you to go back in your
corner with your pointy hat. My point was, was rings are not the cure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message

It was the shims, not the wax rings. I don't expect you to know that...

And you are full of ****.

QED

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 17:02:40 GMT, "jeffc" wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .
It is totally relavant. The OP said his toilet was leaking at the base.
That's a sign of a bad wax ring.

That may be. The other posted implied wax rings are a cure for a rocking
toilet. I was clearing that up.

You are full of ****, wax rings are not the cure and who said that?

Apparently, you're a complete moron and it's time for you to go back in your
corner with your pointy hat. My point was, was rings are not the cure.

I like you better as Joe Dirt with the "bring the chicks over"
routine. I haven't seen you contribute to what the OP asked or even
offer a solution. First the wax ring is not relevant and you were
called on it since the OP had a leak. Now it is relevant, but not a
cure.

I will state this as I have befo a double wax ring and wedges fixed
my rocking toilet... not a cure for everyone.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message

I haven't seen you contribute to what the OP asked or even
offer a solution.

I know you haven't. That's because you're not very smart.

I will state this as I have befo a double wax ring and wedges fixed
my rocking toilet...

And I will contribute this bit of information to the OP once again. Your
double wax ring did not fix your rocking toilet. Only your wedges did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 21:50:21 GMT, "jeffc" wrote:

And I will contribute this bit of information to the OP once again. Your
double wax ring did not fix your rocking toilet. Only your wedges did.

With a double wax ring I got the very important seal I needed, so I
could place the wedges and tighten things up...come on, you are smart.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ah, did not see that. Great idea!

Tim Fischer wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Wouldn't that prevent me from knowing if it begins to leak again?

See my earlier post. Leave a gap at the back of the toilet, where water can
seep out and leaks can be dectected. Placing it at the back will make it
not visible.

-Tim

Toilet drain runs 15 feet... Bob Home Repair 21 March 1st 06 07:06 PM
Slow flushing toilet: Vent stack? TeGGeR® Home Repair 12 March 1st 06 03:00 AM
Little black rocks coming up into toilet. [email protected] Home Repair 16 February 18th 06 04:20 AM
toilet back up nogggin Home Repair 12 February 12th 06 12:17 AM
Run on toilet paper predicted Stormin Mormon Home Repair 12 October 30th 03 08:48 PM