Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wall tiles on floor?

I have heard various answers to this question: Should 6"x6" 8.0 mm
ceramic wall tiles be used on a bathroom floor?
Can anyone answer this with quantifiable results to back it up? The
tiles I'm looking at have a "rough" texture (not slick).

Thanks,
Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have heard various answers to this question: Should 6"x6" 8.0 mm
ceramic wall tiles be used on a bathroom floor?
Can anyone answer this with quantifiable results to back it up? The
tiles I'm looking at have a "rough" texture (not slick).

The "quantifiable results" you're looking for can simply be the wear rating
on the tile.
http://www.floorbiz.com/tile/rating-ceramic-tile.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have done this. I have set a good amount of tile and thought with a
superior installation (mud) I could get away with using wall tiles on the
floor. Wrong, lasted about 4 years and stress cracks started developing on
the surface. They have never cracked though or chipped but have noticeable
hairline cracks in them in the wear areas. Guess that is why they call them
wall tiles.

"jeffc" wrote in message
.. .

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have heard various answers to this question: Should 6"x6" 8.0 mm
ceramic wall tiles be used on a bathroom floor?
Can anyone answer this with quantifiable results to back it up? The
tiles I'm looking at have a "rough" texture (not slick).

The "quantifiable results" you're looking for can simply be the wear
rating on the tile.
http://www.floorbiz.com/tile/rating-ceramic-tile.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hmm. This box of tiles says "PEI IV". I guess that's OK for bathroom
floors according to the link you suggested.
Thanks for the input.

Anyone else have any experience with wall tiles on floors?

jeffc wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I have heard various answers to this question: Should 6"x6" 8.0 mm
ceramic wall tiles be used on a bathroom floor?
Can anyone answer this with quantifiable results to back it up? The
tiles I'm looking at have a "rough" texture (not slick).

The "quantifiable results" you're looking for can simply be the wear rating
on the tile.
http://www.floorbiz.com/tile/rating-ceramic-tile.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hmm. This box of tiles says "PEI IV". I guess that's OK for bathroom
floors according to the link you suggested.

Plenty good. If the wear rating is there, there is really no difference
between wall tile and floor tile. It's just marketing or intended use based
on the look of the tile at that point.