DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   ANTI-SIEZE GREASE DRIED UP (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/179731-anti-sieze-grease-dried-up.html)

Ron in NY October 19th 06 12:26 AM

ANTI-SIEZE GREASE DRIED UP

Hi all,

I have a couple of plastic bottles of Permatex anti-sieze grease, and
they've both dried out. Each bottle is over 1/2 full. It's still usable, but
it's quite stiff. What did they use to "liquify" the grease, and what can I put
in the bottles to possibly soften it up ???

RON
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Jeff Wisnia October 19th 06 12:37 AM

ANTI-SIEZE GREASE DRIED UP

Ron in NY wrote:
Hi all,

I have a couple of plastic bottles of Permatex anti-sieze grease, and
they've both dried out. Each bottle is over 1/2 full. It's still usable, but
it's quite stiff. What did they use to "liquify" the grease, and what can I put
in the bottles to possibly soften it up ???

RON
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

I'd reach for some kerosene....or maybe even mineral spirits (paint
thinner).

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Jim Yanik October 19th 06 01:31 AM

ANTI-SIEZE GREASE DRIED UP

(Ron in NY) wrote in
:

Hi all,

I have a couple of plastic bottles of Permatex anti-sieze grease,
and
they've both dried out. Each bottle is over 1/2 full. It's still
usable, but it's quite stiff. What did they use to "liquify" the
grease, and what can I put in the bottles to possibly soften it up ???

Why don't you go to the Permatex website and look up the MSDS(Material
Safety Data Sheet)??

Try Google.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Joseph Meehan October 19th 06 02:05 AM

ANTI-SIEZE GREASE DRIED UP

Ron in NY wrote:
Hi all,

I have a couple of plastic bottles of Permatex anti-sieze grease,
and they've both dried out. Each bottle is over 1/2 full. It's still
usable, but it's quite stiff. What did they use to "liquify" the
grease, and what can I put in the bottles to possibly soften it up ???

RON
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

I would just buy some more. I buy the stuff at the auto parts store in
small tubes, use on and throw any remainder away.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Joseph Meehan October 19th 06 11:28 AM

ANTI-SIEZE GREASE DRIED UP

Steve Barker LT wrote:
sounds like a guy with more dollars than sense.

I don't know about that. I have spent about $2.00 over the last five
years. I don't think that is too much to avoid the possibility of
compromising the material with an incompatible solvent.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Steve Barker LT October 19th 06 04:05 PM

ANTI-SIEZE GREASE DRIED UP

If you spent $2 then you weren't buying a quality anti-seize compound
anyway. And thinning the stuff doesn't compromise it.

over and out,

--
Steve Barker

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
. ..

Joseph Meehan October 19th 06 05:22 PM

ANTI-SIEZE GREASE DRIED UP

Steve Barker LT wrote:
If you spent $2 then you weren't buying a quality anti-seize compound
anyway. And thinning the stuff doesn't compromise it.

over and out,

Honestly I think I got stuff that was just fine. It certainly was not a
gallon of the the stuff, just a dab or two, enough for the jobs I needed it
for.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

[email protected] October 19th 06 08:21 PM

ANTI-SIEZE GREASE DRIED UP

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 23:26:55 GMT, (Ron in
NY) wrote:

Hi all,

I have a couple of plastic bottles of Permatex anti-sieze grease, and
they've both dried out. Each bottle is over 1/2 full. It's still usable, but
it's quite stiff. What did they use to "liquify" the grease, and what can I put
in the bottles to possibly soften it up ???

Just use mineral oil or baby oil if you want it to smell better.