DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ceiling Fans - Clean / Lube Motors? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/179643-re-ceiling-fans-clean-lube-motors.html)

October 18th 06 02:43 AM

Ceiling Fans - Clean / Lube Motors?

Jones wrote:
We have a Hunter ceiling fan in the family room where we also have a
woodstove. The past couple of years, I've noticed the fan makes a "rum
rum rum" sound that seems to be tied to the number of RPMs the fan is
doing.

I've looked up inside the motor housing and I notice there seems to be
some dust mixed with either cooking fat or motor oil (I don't know
which) up in there, and I wonder whether the motor should be cleaned out
and/or lubricated?

Does anyone know? And if so, how?

The methods I was considering we

€¢ blow out with compressed air / vacuum with shop vac
€¢ maybe spray out the motor with that halogenated electrical parts cleaner?
€¢ lube with Corrosion X and/or Super Lube grease with PFTE (both
products are dielectric)

Can anyone knowledgeable advise me on this? Should I even bother (the
motor housing is not hot, so the windings or whatever are not getting
overheated, I don't think)?

Thanks for any ideas.

Jones.

Lots of the Hunter fans use an oilbath lube system, and may need to be
topped-off from time to time. Hunter sells their own "special" oil for
this purpose. Don't know what makes it "special", but for a couple of
$$$$, I'd stay with their recommendation.