Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Resurfaceing Laminate Countertop with Concrete Overlay

At a home show I saw a business that resurfaced formica countertops
with a layer of concrete/polymer blend to give it the look of solid
surface. Unfortunately, the price was about the same as new granite
slab, but I like the idea as a possible cheap solution to my ugly
formica.

What I am looking for is:
1) a concrete recipe for the overlay
2) step by step instructions.

Has anyone ever completed this type of project? I know there are
products like Flex-C-Ment that can be used as an overlay on formica,
but you have to become certified to buy it or go through a certified
contractor. I saw another site offering a class out of state, but was
not willing to provide info unless i attend.

Given this info, this sounds do-able for a DIYer, but I need some help
and instructions.
The home repair community and I thank you for your responses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have seen this done using styrofoam molds that covered the laminate
countertops and then the polymer was poured/pumped in. The results,
IMHO were less than stellar.

I recently bought a 10 yr old home, gutted and totally remodeled it. I
placed porcelain tile over the laminate (aka formica) countertops with
excellent results. The only thing in my home that I didn't do myself
were my kitchen countertops where I used Monsanto solid surface (much
like DuPont's Corian, but less expensive) countertops. I opted for the
molded-in sink and we love it. It wasn't cheap but it cost less than
the polymer mold you mentioned. I can't imagine why (unless you just
adore the look of cement) you would want to go that route.

Jeff

wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

jeffreydesign wrote:
I have seen this done using styrofoam molds that covered the laminate
countertops and then the polymer was poured/pumped in. The results,
IMHO were less than stellar.

I recently bought a 10 yr old home, gutted and totally remodeled it. I
placed porcelain tile over the laminate (aka formica) countertops with
excellent results. The only thing in my home that I didn't do myself
were my kitchen countertops where I used Monsanto solid surface (much
like DuPont's Corian, but less expensive) countertops. I opted for the
molded-in sink and we love it. It wasn't cheap but it cost less than
the polymer mold you mentioned. I can't imagine why (unless you just
adore the look of cement) you would want to go that route.

Jeff

But, this is also interesting:
http://www.counter-weight.com/
Came up with googling this thread. "Readily accepts coloring" would
also mean it stains easily but may not have the polymer disadvantages I
mentioned.
Frank