DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gas versus Electric heater for studio Apartment (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/179058-gas-versus-electric-heater-studio-apartment.html)

AJ October 13th 06 05:12 AM

Gas versus Electric heater for studio Apartment

HI, I stay in a very small studio apartment. I need a suggestion: buy a
electric or a gas heater ? how can i save money, kindly reply.
Aj

Tony Hwang October 13th 06 05:20 AM

AJ wrote:
HI, I stay in a very small studio apartment. I need a suggestion: buy a
electric or a gas heater ? how can i save money, kindly reply.
Aj

Hi,
What kind of gas?

CJT October 13th 06 06:00 AM

AJ wrote:
HI, I stay in a very small studio apartment. I need a suggestion: buy a
electric or a gas heater ? how can i save money, kindly reply.
Aj

I doubt you'll find a portable gas heater intended for indoor use.

Edwin Pawlowski October 13th 06 11:17 AM

"CJT" wrote in message

I doubt you'll find a portable gas heater intended for indoor use.

You mean like the high efficiency ventless propane heater I have?

Pete C. October 13th 06 02:04 PM

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"CJT" wrote in message

I doubt you'll find a portable gas heater intended for indoor use.

You mean like the high efficiency ventless propane heater I have?

The one that dumps oodles of moisture and combustion by-products into
your living space? I'd never use one of those anywhere, only a proper
vented, sealed combustion unit.

Pete C.

Joseph Meehan October 13th 06 02:07 PM

AJ wrote:
HI, I stay in a very small studio apartment. I need a suggestion: buy
a electric or a gas heater ? how can i save money, kindly reply.
Aj

Well in the long run gas is almost always cheaper than electric. What
is there now? How long do you expect to stay there?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Mikepier October 13th 06 02:58 PM

Gas versus Electric heater for studio Apartment

Buying an electric heater upfront is inexpensive plus you don't have to
worry about venting issues, but operating costs will be expensive.

Gas heaters will be expensive upfront plus you will have to vent it to
the outside , but operating costs will be less than electric.

I had a gas wall furnace in my old condo that vented to the outside. It
did a pretty good job.
It was this one.
http://shoppingcart.msservicecompany...&itemid=sa25ng

Pete C. October 13th 06 03:44 PM

Mikepier wrote:

Buying an electric heater upfront is inexpensive plus you don't have to
worry about venting issues, but operating costs will be expensive.

Gas heaters will be expensive upfront plus you will have to vent it to
the outside , but operating costs will be less than electric.

I had a gas wall furnace in my old condo that vented to the outside. It
did a pretty good job.
It was this one.
http://shoppingcart.msservicecompany...&itemid=sa25ng

That's basically what I need to add to my workshop for heating. The
ventless units are cheap and easy to find, but the massive amount of
moisture they dump in the room would destroy my tools in short order.
That's ignoring the issues with flammable solvents and dust as well.

Pete C.

Goedjn October 13th 06 06:15 PM

On 12 Oct 2006 21:12:00 -0700, "AJ" wrote:

HI, I stay in a very small studio apartment. I need a suggestion: buy a
electric or a gas heater ? how can i save money, kindly reply.
Aj

Buy a sweater. Or provide more details. What's your current
heat source?

CJT October 13th 06 11:41 PM

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"CJT" wrote in message

I doubt you'll find a portable gas heater intended for indoor use.

You mean like the high efficiency ventless propane heater I have?

How do you avoid asphyxiation?

Pete C. October 14th 06 12:17 AM

CJT wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"CJT" wrote in message

I doubt you'll find a portable gas heater intended for indoor use.

You mean like the high efficiency ventless propane heater I have?

How do you avoid asphyxiation?

Those heaters have oxygen depletion cutouts so they keep you alive, at
least in the short term. They produce little CO so they don't
immediately poison you, but they do produce other combustion by-products
that aren't good for you long term if you have inadequate ventilation.

Pete C.