Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Converting 2 Garage Doors into 1 Door??

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to convert a 2 car garage with 2
seperate doors into 1 big door. I understand that it depends on the
center post and if it is structural support or just cosmetic, which I
still need to find out. Assuming that it is cosmetic and can be
removed, what other factors need to be considered and does anyone have
any experience with this and can give me an estimate cost for a project
like this?

Thanks
Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikelly wrote:
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to convert a 2 car garage with 2
seperate doors into 1 big door. I understand that it depends on the
center post and if it is structural support or just cosmetic, which I
still need to find out. Assuming that it is cosmetic and can be
removed, what other factors need to be considered and does anyone have
any experience with this and can give me an estimate cost for a project
like this?

Thanks
Mike

i know that it can be done
i had it done a few years back
they knocked out collumn put bigger support across the top and it was
done
not sure how much but it took 2 days for everything complete
hope this helps

LandRover #232412

Games that I like to play

Posted to alt.home.repair

There is no doubt that it could be done, the question is; should it be
done. As you drive around check out older installations of big doors,
see how they all sag in the middle when raised.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Mikelly wrote:
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to convert a 2 car garage with 2
seperate doors into 1 big door. I understand that it depends on the
center post and if it is structural support or just cosmetic, which I
still need to find out. Assuming that it is cosmetic and can be
removed, what other factors need to be considered and does anyone have
any experience with this and can give me an estimate cost for a project
like this?

Of course, it can, but the question I would ask is are you really,
really sure you want to? The disadvantages far outweigh the advantages
imo unless you have some wide vehicle/apparatus that can't clear the
current door.

Having had a single-door double-car garage, I wished daily I could have
gone the other way (but most particularly in the winter when the snow
was out and blowing). The double door is heavier and more expensive to
maintain, there then is only "the whole thing is open or none", and
with a center column between the two the door has to be even wider than
for a standard double-wide.

IMO, YMMV, IMO, $0.02, devil's advocate, etc., etc., etc., ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
Mikelly wrote:
[...]

Agree. If OP really want to convert, make sure keep the doors and
sidings (if vinyl) for the center column somewhere. When he needs
to sell the place, the two door garage will be more appearing to
potential buyers (in most cases).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eric in North TX" wrote in
oups.com:

There is no doubt that it could be done,

In one area the code required me to put a steel "flitch" plate
sandwiched between the headers on a 16' (I think) span. That was new
construction. Beats the hell outta me how you would do it with old work.

http://www.toolbase.org/PDF/DesignGu...tch%20plate%22

the question is; should it be
done. As you drive around check out older installations of big doors,
see how they all sag in the middle when raised.

Hell, I had 1yr old single doors do that on new construction. Wood.
Sub-k replaced them with metal. Solved that. Quality wood doors with
good bracing may be fine. Dunno.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 Oct 2006 07:08:56 -0700, "Mikelly"
wrote:

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to convert a 2 car garage with 2
seperate doors into 1 big door. I understand that it depends on the
center post and if it is structural support or just cosmetic, which I
still need to find out. Assuming that it is cosmetic and can be
removed, what other factors need to be considered and does anyone have
any experience with this and can give me an estimate cost for a project
like this?

Thanks
Mike

I'll just add that the center post is almost certainly structural,
carrying the ends of the two headers above the two existing doors,
plus the transferred loads from the wall and roof above. Converting
it will mean building a temporary wall to support the roof/ceiling
load, then removing the center post and the two headers above the
existing doors. Those headers will need to be replaced with a single
longer one, and since it will be carrying a bigger load and for a
greater length, it will either need to be larger, or reinforced with
steel as one poster mentioned, or replaced with a manufactured beam,
such as a glulam or steel beam. You also may very well need a custom
door, because the sum of the widths of the old doors and the center
post probably won't equal a standard door width. It's going to add up
to a pretty sum. If you are in an earthquake or high-wind area
(coast), then you may need to beef up the shear strength of the walls
to the sides of the existing doors too. All possible, just time and
money.

Good luck,

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

Unless you got money to burn, it ain't worth it. There are many benefits to
having a pair of 9x7 doors vs. one 16 foot door. As others mentioned, your
headers above the current doors would have to be reworked. Plus the new
opening would be too big for a standard 16 foot door. You could get a
bigger door to fit it, but that will cost you big time.

ups.com...