Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cost to install a new gas dryer (old one broke)

Hi,

My wife had a plumber come out to hook up a new gas dryer. We have an
old one that broke, so all the lines are in place, it is just a matter
of disconnecting the old one and connnecting the new. No extras, like
hauling away the old dryer. The cost blew me away:

Disconnect dryer: $164.24
Install gas dryer: $282.25
Total: $446.49

This seems absoutely insane to me. I would've done it myself, but
unlike water or electricity, gas scares me. Is this anywhere close to
reasonable, or should I make a stink?

We live in suburban Washington DC, Bethesda MD to be exact, if locality
matters for this sort of thing.

Thanks,

Mike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

My wife had a plumber come out to hook up a new gas dryer. We have an
old one that broke, so all the lines are in place, it is just a matter
of disconnecting the old one and connnecting the new. No extras, like
hauling away the old dryer. The cost blew me away:

Disconnect dryer: $164.24
Install gas dryer: $282.25
Total: $446.49

This seems absoutely insane to me.

Did you at least have a good orgasm? I'd have thought $150 would be on the
high side. He may have had to change a fitting or two, but the time for
labor about 1 hour. Disconnecting should be just a few minutes to turn of a
valve and break open the union.

Total should be maybe $15 or parts, 1/2 hour travel time, 1 hour labor. My
plumber charges $65 an hour in a small town. Maybe yours was a congressman
or something because a regular, no matter how shady, could not screw you as
much as a politician.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

I had the gas company hook mine up. $115. I had removed the old one but
they would have done that at the same price. The old one was sitting in the
garage and they took it away. Sears delivered the dryer. After rebate
delivery was free. Near Raleigh NC.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

My wife had a plumber come out to hook up a new gas dryer. We have an
old one that broke, so all the lines are in place, it is just a matter
of disconnecting the old one and connnecting the new. No extras, like
hauling away the old dryer. The cost blew me away:

Disconnect dryer: $164.24
Install gas dryer: $282.25
Total: $446.49

This seems absoutely insane to me. I would've done it myself, but
unlike water or electricity, gas scares me. Is this anywhere close to
reasonable, or should I make a stink?

We live in suburban Washington DC, Bethesda MD to be exact, if locality
matters for this sort of thing.

Thanks,

Mike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

As I recall, Sears charged me about $150 to install and haul away old.
I live in an upscale area of Phila, and I have seen enormous inflation
in all services. Plumbers who want $900 to replace 4 feet of waste
pipe, painters who want $1400 to paint one bedroom 16'x16', an
electrician who tried to charge $900 to replace one of my mom's curcuit
breaker switches (not the box, the one switch!). They aren't stupid:
they see the money flowing to the top echelon of society, and death of
the Do-it-yourselfers (ore even people who cut their own grass!), and
they charge what they can get away with. Did you ever wonder why they
ask you for your zip code first, before any estimate? It ain't to mail
you a Christmas card . . . it's to see what rate structure to impose
based on the wealth of your area. So if you are elderly, or happen to
be poor in a good area, you are screwed!

At least Sears tells you up front what the charge will be (and they
usually have a sale on some installation service component. It's a
good starting point for then negotiating with a private installer if
you wish to do so.

Alex

Phisherman wrote:
On 11 Oct 2006 16:52:16 -0700, wrote:

Hi,

My wife had a plumber come out to hook up a new gas dryer. We have an
old one that broke, so all the lines are in place, it is just a matter
of disconnecting the old one and connnecting the new. No extras, like
hauling away the old dryer. The cost blew me away:

Disconnect dryer: $164.24
Install gas dryer: $282.25
Total: $446.49

This seems absoutely insane to me. I would've done it myself, but
unlike water or electricity, gas scares me. Is this anywhere close to
reasonable, or should I make a stink?

We live in suburban Washington DC, Bethesda MD to be exact, if locality
matters for this sort of thing.

Thanks,

Mike.

I would think about $150 is about right as there is not much to the
installation and it should take less than an hour. I can't expect a
service call to be less than $100, then labor $50 an hour. I use
pipe dope, channel locks, soapy water. There should be a cut-off
valve near each gas appliance. At those prices maybe I should have
been a plumber!

Posted to alt.home.repair

you're a politician and the plumber was trying to get even?
usually the appliance store has a reasonable price to connect a dryer
but they don't change the gas shut off near the dryer which your
plumber should do.
get an estimate next time, but when you put in a new gas $10 shutoff
and new flexible gas connector kit $20 and any teflon tape $2, these
add up.
if you want to feel better, call the permit office and ask what a
plumbing license costs, and ask an insurance man how much plumbers
liability insurance costs, i have no idea, just thinking. how might
bethesda differ see:
http://www.city-data.com/city/Bethesda-Maryland.html

"Bethesda is a wealthy and well-educated area. According to the 2000
Census, Bethesda is the best-educated city in the nation with a
population of 50,000 or more. 79% of residents 25 or older have
bachelor's degrees and 49% have graduate or professional degrees. The
median income for a household is $99,102, and the median income for a
family was $130,160. Males had a median income of $84,797 versus
$57,569 for females. The per capita income for the area was $58,479.
About 1.7% of families and 3.3% of the population were below the
poverty line, including 1.8% of those under age 18 and 4.1% of those
age 65 or over. Many commute to Washington D.C. for work.
" http://www.answers.com/topic/bethesda-maryland

Salary in Bethesda-Frederick-Gaithersburg MD: $99,102
Comparable salary in Buffalo NY: $73,646.11
If you move from Bethesda-Frederick-Gaithersburg MD to Buffalo NY...
Groceries will cost: 11.439% less
Housing will cost: 50.559% less
Utilities will cost: 22.111% more
Transportation will cost: 8.564% less
Healthcare will cost: 15.002% less
see calculator and plug in the cities at:
http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costo...tofliving.html

wrote:
Hi,

My wife had a plumber come out to hook up a new gas dryer. We have an
old one that broke, so all the lines are in place, it is just a matter
of disconnecting the old one and connnecting the new. No extras, like
hauling away the old dryer. The cost blew me away:

Disconnect dryer: $164.24
Install gas dryer: $282.25
Total: $446.49

This seems absoutely insane to me. I would've done it myself, but
unlike water or electricity, gas scares me. Is this anywhere close to
reasonable, or should I make a stink?

We live in suburban Washington DC, Bethesda MD to be exact, if locality
matters for this sort of thing.

Thanks,

Mike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Let me see if I understand you correctly. You were too lazy to do it
yourself and you didn't shop around, and now you are complaining about
the price. Sounds like you should have done your homework.

Even if you are afraid to install it yourself, there is no reason why
you could not have remioved the old one yourself if there was a working
cutoff valve at the dryer. If not then the charge to remove old dryer
and install a valve and do some repiping there would have been
justified.

And without details of what the install consisted if it's hard to say,
but adding a piece of flex hose and dryer vent stuff could have
potentially been complicated, but unilkely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lets see, you didn't ask for a price upfront. The work is done now.

I'd make a stink, but don't expect much sympathy. I've got a couple
friends who live in that area. For four bills, I coulda drove down
from NY State and stayed overnight with friends. Done your dryer, and
then had time to go to the temple and attend a session, and come home.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

My wife had a plumber come out to hook up a new gas dryer. We have an
old one that broke, so all the lines are in place, it is just a matter
of disconnecting the old one and connnecting the new. No extras, like
hauling away the old dryer. The cost blew me away:

Disconnect dryer: $164.24
Install gas dryer: $282.25
Total: $446.49

This seems absoutely insane to me. I would've done it myself, but
unlike water or electricity, gas scares me. Is this anywhere close to
reasonable, or should I make a stink?

We live in suburban Washington DC, Bethesda MD to be exact, if
locality
matters for this sort of thing.

Thanks,

Mike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

My wife had a plumber come out to hook up a new gas dryer. We have an
old one that broke, so all the lines are in place, it is just a matter
of disconnecting the old one and connnecting the new. No extras, like
hauling away the old dryer. The cost blew me away:

Disconnect dryer: $164.24
Install gas dryer: $282.25
Total: $446.49

This seems absoutely insane to me. I would've done it myself, but
unlike water or electricity, gas scares me. Is this anywhere close to
reasonable, or should I make a stink?

We live in suburban Washington DC, Bethesda MD to be exact, if locality
matters for this sort of thing.

Thanks,

Mike.

And why didn't we know how much it was going to cost BEFORE authorizing the
work?

Cost to install one where I live, about $20. I like to put a new flex hose
any time I change a dryer, a thing of mine. I could use the old one, and
then it would be free.

You said two things. Gas scares you, and you live in Bethesda MD. Those
locals know girlie men are afraid of gas, and take every advantage.

Learn how to do it, or at least how to shop around, or quit kvetching.

Sheesh.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 10:45:59 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

At those prices maybe I should have
been a plumber!

The plumber finishes the job and gives him the bill and the customer
says, "I'm a surgeon and I don't make this much money."

The plumber says, "I know. I didn't make as much either, when I was a
surgeon."

This is not to say the bill was reasonable. The OP should see if a new
valve was installed, and then could call another plumber and ask what
his price would be.

Then he could call the plumber who did the work, and say he thinks
there was a mistake on the bill, blah, blah, blah. If he says, I
think your rates are criminal and he wants a refund of part, the guy
will just get angry. I've never tried my plan either, but you never
know.
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

mm wrote:

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 10:45:59 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

At those prices maybe I should have
been a plumber!

The plumber finishes the job and gives him the bill and the customer
says, "I'm a surgeon and I don't make this much money."

The plumber says, "I know. I didn't make as much either, when I was a
surgeon."

This is not to say the bill was reasonable. The OP should see if a new
valve was installed, and then could call another plumber and ask what
his price would be.

Then he could call the plumber who did the work, and say he thinks
there was a mistake on the bill, blah, blah, blah. If he says, I
think your rates are criminal and he wants a refund of part, the guy
will just get angry. I've never tried my plan either, but you never
know.

The time for that kind of thing is BEFORE the work is done.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 02:07:06 GMT, CJT wrote:

mm wrote:

[...]

Of course, and others had already said that, but before is gone and
after has begun.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

mm wrote:

[...]

That's the time to learn from one's mistakes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

[...]

Well, either he got some sort of quote/estimate ahead of time,
and should just stick to what he agreed to, or he didn't and
should put any excess down as a stupid tax. (or educational
expense). I've got $1000 windows in my house, which is
how I learned to not be in such a damn hurry, to do a little
more research, and to trust the little warning bell that says
"this guy is a sleazeball".

(I mean, granted, they're 44" wide, 102" high, triple-glaze
argon filled, with a 50 year warranty against seal failure
and rocks, which may or may not turn out to be good, but
still....)

Think of it as part of growing up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to mikeclancy, Melissa wrote:
mikeclancy wrote:

Hi,
My wife had a plumber come out to hook up a new gas dryer. We have an
old one that broke, so all the lines are in place, it is just a matter
of disconnecting the old one and connnecting the new. No extras, like
hauling away the old dryer. The cost blew me away:
Disconnect dryer: $164.24
Install gas dryer: $282.25
Total: $446.49
This seems absoutely insane to me. I would've done it myself, but
unlike water or electricity, gas scares me. Is this anywhere close to
reasonable, or should I make a stink?
We live in suburban Washington DC, Bethesda MD to be exact, if locality
matters for this sort of thing.
Thanks,
Mike.

Hi Mike,

I am from Silver Spring, MD. I just bought a washer dryer from Sears.
Sears puts out a bid to independent contractors for the install.
Well, yesterday the dryer finally came after a month of waiting. The
contractor demanded an extra $120 for the gas valve install. He refused
to do any further work until a check was written.
This is in addition to the install cost we already paid to Sears. This is
a total ripoff. I called Sears prior to buying the dryer what the
additional
cost of putting in a gas dryer vs electric and Sears said $90. You might
get a good price on a washer and dryer from Sears, but beware of the
contractors. I ended up paying twice for the install: once from Sears
and then from the contractors. Contractors get paid from Sears, but
apparently not enough, so they have to stick it to the customers. Beware
of Quality Kitchens and Appliances.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mikeclancy wrote:

[...]

Is it illegal doing it yourself?

Posted to alt.home.repair

mikeclancy wrote:

[...]

IDK what really happened here, but I don't think it's necessarily fair to blame
the contractor for "sticking it" to the customer. In this case there
was an electric dryer being replaced by gas. IDK
how Sears or anyone could figure out how much it would cost. Did
Sears or the contractor see the job before quoting the $90 extra?
How about if the nearest gas connection is 50 ft from where the
dryer is? Or it's on a second story, while the gas piping is in the
basement, etc? It sounds to me like there is more to the story than
is being told. Like the extra $90 was quoted *if* certain conditions
were present and when the installer got there, they may have found out
extra work was required. Could still be a ripoff, but it's sure not
clear from the facts given.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mellisa...Mike hasn't been around for 8 yrs, but thanks for the advice! ;^)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/22/2014 12:08 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
Is it illegal doing it yourself?

Depends on where you live. State codes vary. Some not only require a
licensed gas fitter (not a plumber) but inspection after.

I did my own as well as for a few friends. We were sure to check for
leaks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mikeclancy wrote:

[...]

Can't say for sure without seeing it. To add a valve to an existing
line could be a simple job and $35 charge would be fair. OTOH, it he
had to shut all the gas off, relight pilots, purge air, etc. It could
be more costly.

Code required a valve be in the line near the appliance. Sounds like
the original piping may have been done wrong.

Contractors get paid from Sears, but
apparently not enough, so they have to stick it to the customers. Beware
of Quality Kitchens and Appliances.

Sears price is based on a simple disconnect and reconnect. If a valve
was missing or not properly installed, extra unforeseen work had to be
done. Then it comes down to the price for the amount of work done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to mikeclancy, Connie Breck wrote:
$150 seems the average but you live in a high price area where im sure it
costs a lot to do business in. I found this link because s customer of ours
complained about our price to install a dryer. $150 seems reasonable.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ke-155357-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 9, 2018 at 5:14:07 PM UTC-5, Connie Breck wrote:
replying to mikeclancy, Connie Breck wrote:
$150 seems the average but you live in a high price area where im sure it
costs a lot to do business in. I found this link because s customer of ours
complained about our price to install a dryer. $150 seems reasonable.
--

I'm sure Mike has been sitting around for **12** years waiting for your comment. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Amused Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

We have an electric dryer and I imagine the cost to delivery, install,
and plug it in would be considerably less than a gas dryer. When we
bought our When we bought our last front loading washer and dryer set
there was actually no setup fee.

It's been more than 10 years since I bought an electric dryer, but one
thing I remember from then is the cord was not included. Possibly since
some people have different receptacles.

--
107 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:00:00 AM for
1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The word heretic ought to be a term of honour..." -- Charles Bradlaugh
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to mikeclancy, LifelLongPlumber wrote:
This is a picture of a home in my area that a home owner hooked up a gas dryer
in his own home. He didn't realized he compromised a joint in the wall.
Needless to say it was a catastrophe and lives where lost. Hire a
professional. Most shops pay there guys off commission. That plumber probably
made $100 of that install.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2019 11:14 PM, LifelLongPlumber wrote:
replying to mikeclancy, LifelLongPlumberÂ* wrote:
This is a picture of a home in my area that a home owner hooked up a gas
dryer
in his own home. He didn't realized he compromised a joint in the wall.
Needless to say it was a catastrophe and lives where lost. Hire a
professional. Most shops pay there guys off commission. That plumber
probably
made $100 of that install. https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ks

Some drywall patch and paint you won't even notice it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 7, 2019 at 11:22:00 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/7/2019 11:14 PM, LifelLongPlumber wrote:
replying to mikeclancy, LifelLongPlumberÂ* wrote:
This is a picture of a home in my area that a home owner hooked up a gas
dryer
in his own home. He didn't realized he compromised a joint in the wall.
Needless to say it was a catastrophe and lives where lost. Hire a
professional. Most shops pay there guys off commission. That plumber
probably
made $100 of that install. https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ks

Some drywall patch and paint you won't even notice it.

Like "pros" never screw it up too. I remember a whole pet store here blew up from an incompetent crew.