Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I hate cockroaches!!!

I live in an area where cockroaches are a way of life. I put out
fresh roach traps 3 times a year. Yesterday I saw a live cockroach in
the attic, yet there is no food there. I know if you see one there are
many more which gives me the creeps. Also there are roaches on the
deck. Last week I sprayed around the foundation perimeter--mainly to
keep out spiders and ladybugs that invade every fall. I know the
sonic devices are a hoax. Can anyone tell me the best way to minimize
having cockroaches? I keep a very clean house. I have a container of
the fine boric acid (blue) powder--what's the best way to apply it?
What is the best brand of roach traps? I have no children/pets. TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Don is offline

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I live in an area where cockroaches are a way of life. I put out
fresh roach traps 3 times a year. Yesterday I saw a live cockroach in
the attic, yet there is no food there. I know if you see one there are
many more which gives me the creeps. Also there are roaches on the
deck. Last week I sprayed around the foundation perimeter--mainly to
keep out spiders and ladybugs that invade every fall. I know the
sonic devices are a hoax. Can anyone tell me the best way to minimize
having cockroaches? I keep a very clean house. I have a container of
the fine boric acid (blue) powder--what's the best way to apply it?
What is the best brand of roach traps? I have no children/pets. TIA

borax, borox., boric acid. what ever it is called puff out a light dusting
of the powder under sinks and appliances and other places roaches frequent.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev Sev is offline

Also, this is the time of year when it gets cold outside, and warmth of
your house is inviting to critters, roaches included. I would apply
the newer gel type poison at all penetrations, where pipes, etc enter
the house. Boric acid at door threshholds, windowsills.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

In article ,
says...
I live in an area where cockroaches are a way of life. I put out
fresh roach traps 3 times a year. Yesterday I saw a live cockroach in
the attic, yet there is no food there. I know if you see one there are
many more which gives me the creeps. Also there are roaches on the
deck. Last week I sprayed around the foundation perimeter--mainly to
keep out spiders and ladybugs that invade every fall. I know the
sonic devices are a hoax. Can anyone tell me the best way to minimize
having cockroaches? I keep a very clean house. I have a container of
the fine boric acid (blue) powder--what's the best way to apply it?
What is the best brand of roach traps? I have no children/pets. TIA

Assuming you mean the large outdoor roaches that many people call water
bugs, palmetto bugs, tree roaches, etc. The roach traps usually are not
effective for them, the ones you have, dip in warm water to moisten the
bait and see if that makes them more attractant. If you go the boric
acid route, it should be a LIGHT dusting, much like the dust that
accumulates after a few weeks in a window sill if no dusting is done. If
you put it out heavy the roaches will only avoid the areas treated
making you feel it has worked...out of sight/out of mind. Boric Acid
powder will be the most toxic insecticide you will use for roaches so
making sure it is not where a kid can get a pinch then put it in their
mouths or nosey pets get into it. These are outdoor roaches coming in so
using the dust is an after the fact way of attacking the problem. Do not
use the dust outside around the foundation, it will create a long term
vegetation dead zone. The outdoor roaches have a starchy diet such as
decaying leaf matter, rotting wood, etc. the deck is a good place to
start, organic matter builds up over time, probably stays moist and
roaches are attracted to the area. The perimeter spraying can be
effective, though what you probably are using is short lived.
Concentrate around the foundation, window sills, door jams. If you have
an old rotting wood pile or a large tree with a hollow spot within
thirty feet of the home, those areas need to be addressed too. If you
can find any of the granulated cricket baits, placing it around the area
10 days after your foundation treatment can also be an aid. You may have
luck also with the interior type home sprays... the bifenthrin products
you can find are more diluted than what a pro would use, but many pros
do use bifenthrin as their inside insecticide. Concentrate where
plumbing goes into the wall, kick boards in kitchen and bathroom, maybe
out of the way corners...but not totally along the baseboards of the
house.
--
Lar

to email...get rid of the BUGS
Posted to alt.home.repair

I would add just one thing, which is to make certain what you are
seeing on your deck are definitely cockroaches. Where I live, this is
the time of year for box elder bugs to begin congregating.
http://www.pestcontrolcanada.com/INS...elder_bugs.htm

They are really not very similar, but I have had a surprising number of
people inform me that they saw "swarms of roaches" on their houses when
what they saw were box elder bugs, or identify a stray box elder bug
inside as a roach.

Jo Ann

Phisherman wrote:
I live in an area where cockroaches are a way of life. I put out
fresh roach traps 3 times a year. Yesterday I saw a live cockroach in
the attic, yet there is no food there. I know if you see one there are
many more which gives me the creeps. Also there are roaches on the
deck. Last week I sprayed around the foundation perimeter--mainly to
keep out spiders and ladybugs that invade every fall. I know the
sonic devices are a hoax. Can anyone tell me the best way to minimize
having cockroaches? I keep a very clean house. I have a container of
the fine boric acid (blue) powder--what's the best way to apply it?
What is the best brand of roach traps? I have no children/pets. TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me the best way to minimize
having cockroaches?

Chlordane. Problem is, the EPA outlawed it about 20 years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Phisherman" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me the best way to minimize
having cockroaches?

Chlordane. Problem is, the EPA outlawed it about 20 years ago.

How effective is sevin dust?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 12:39:00 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

I live in an area where cockroaches are a way of life. I put out
fresh roach traps 3 times a year. Yesterday I saw a live cockroach in
the attic, yet there is no food there. I know if you see one there are
many more which gives me the creeps. Also there are roaches on the
deck. Last week I sprayed around the foundation perimeter--mainly to
keep out spiders and ladybugs that invade every fall. I know the
sonic devices are a hoax. Can anyone tell me the best way to minimize
having cockroaches? I keep a very clean house. I have a container of
the fine boric acid (blue) powder--what's the best way to apply it?
What is the best brand of roach traps? I have no children/pets. TIA

I use the boric acid (yellow bottle HD). I have a duster like my
grandfather used to "dust plants". Just enough of a cloud to settle.
It kills roaches and I watch them dry up one at a time. I use it in
areas that I see a roach. Rain will have an adverse affect on this.

I recently read about "agricultural grade" diatomaceous earth, This is
natural and not processed (not pool grade). When creatures like a
roach walk on it they are cut to pieces (microscopic fossils). It is
safe to eat an will not harm anything, being natural - (not the
processed). Farmers will have or know about it. It is feed to
livestock.

"agricultural grade" diatomaceous earth can be dampened and brushed on
from what I read. When it dries it will have the same affect.
--
Oren

Why I hate DIY Mr Fizzion UK diy 2 October 25th 05 12:10 AM
OT pigeon hate tony sayer UK diy 83 August 19th 05 10:01 AM