Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

Default Tracing Circuit Breaker to Receptacle Outlets

I'd like to know if there is an easier way to trace which circuit
breaker control which outlets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DK" wrote in message

I'd like to know if there is an easier way to trace which circuit
breaker control which outlets.

Plug a loud radio into the socket. cut off the circuit breaker. The one
that shuts the radio is the baby. Now mark it so that you don't have to
guess again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , DK wrote:

I'd like to know if there is an easier way to trace which circuit
breaker control which outlets.

Easier than what? :-)

The two easiest ways I can think of a
(1) Buy a circuit tracer, about $35 at Lowe's or Home Depot. It's a two-part
device; one plugs into an outlet and places a radio-frequency signal on the
circuit, and the other is used to detect that signal at the breaker box (it
beeps when it's over the correct breaker).

(2) Plug a radio into an outlet, and turn it up loud. Go to the breaker panel
and start turning off breakers. When the radio goes off, you got the right
one.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buy a replacement lamp plug. Connect a wire across it to make a short
circuit. Attach it to a wooden stick. Plug it into an outlet and see
which breaker blows.

DK wrote:
I'd like to know if there is an easier way to trace which circuit
breaker control which outlets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DK" wrote in message

I'd like to know if there is an easier way to trace which circuit
breaker control which outlets.

The radio is a very good way. An alternate to that would be a long
extension cord pluged into a lamp, with the lamp in easy sight.

If you suspect the circuit is one of just a few, turn those off one at a
time.

If none of the circuits are marked, then turn exactly half off. If the
radio is still on, turn the first half back on and the last half off. Now
the radio should be on. Turn half of the "off" breakers back on. Keep
testing half of the untested breakers until you find it.

Then reset all your electric clocks.

Randy R. Cox

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..
Buy a replacement lamp plug. Connect a wire across it to make a short
circuit. Attach it to a wooden stick. Plug it into an outlet and see
which breaker blows.

If you think that's funny, you're a sick SOB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 10:59:46 -0500, "Randy Cox"
wrote:

"DK" wrote in message
.. .

I'd like to know if there is an easier way to trace which circuit
breaker control which outlets.

The radio is a very good way. An alternate to that would be a long
extension cord pluged into a lamp, with the lamp in easy sight.

If you suspect the circuit is one of just a few, turn those off one at a
time.

If none of the circuits are marked, then turn exactly half off. If the
radio is still on, turn the first half back on and the last half off. Now
the radio should be on. Turn half of the "off" breakers back on. Keep
testing half of the untested breakers until you find it.

Then reset all your electric clocks.

Randy R. Cox

You may have to identify additional circuits later on. It would save
some work to identify all the breakers at one time. Turn one breaker
off and go around testing receptacles and lights to see what isn't
working. Repeat for the other breakers and keep a record. You still
need to reset the clocks afterward.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DK" wrote in message

I'd like to know if there is an easier way to trace which circuit
breaker control which outlets.

Lots of GOOD advice here.
I'll just ad, PRAY, your house was wired by
a sober electrician.
In my home, the BACK bathroom and
the front porch light and bell are on the same circuit.
One side of my kitchen is on the same circuit
as a bedroom two rooms away.
And the "Piece de resistance" the overhead fixture
in the master BR is on the same circuit as the
garage on the opposite side of the house.
Xeno

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Xeno Chauvin" wrote in message

"DK" wrote in message

I'd like to know if there is an easier way to trace which circuit
breaker control which outlets.

Lots of GOOD advice here.
I'll just ad, PRAY, your house was wired by
a sober electrician.
In my home, the BACK bathroom and
the front porch light and bell are on the same circuit.
One side of my kitchen is on the same circuit
as a bedroom two rooms away.
And the "Piece de resistance" the overhead fixture
in the master BR is on the same circuit as the
garage on the opposite side of the house.
Xeno

Could be worse like the commercial where the switch controls a neighbors
garage door 6 houses away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 20:34:21 GMT, "Xeno Chauvin"
wrote:

"DK" wrote in message
.. .

I'd like to know if there is an easier way to trace which circuit
breaker control which outlets.

Lots of GOOD advice here.
I'll just ad, PRAY, your house was wired by
a sober electrician.
In my home, the BACK bathroom and
the front porch light and bell are on the same circuit.
One side of my kitchen is on the same circuit
as a bedroom two rooms away.
And the "Piece de resistance" the overhead fixture
in the master BR is on the same circuit as the
garage on the opposite side of the house.
Xeno

In my house,the light over the bathroom sink is on the same circuit as
the receptacle behind the refrigerator.

It's not good enough to assume everything in a room is on the same
circuit.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well i admit its not recommended! But on one occasion I intentially
shorted a outlet to trip the breaker so I could work on that specific
circuit.

My grandmother lived here and was on oxygen machine, I absolutely HAD
to fix the bad outlet that was used for other stuff for her.

The short enabled me to not disturb anything but the breaker I needed
to work on!

posters in the past got mad I used such a system, but it worked in 1991
before circuit breaker finders were available.

breakers are designed to accept shorts, because they do occur.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Randy Cox wrote:
"DK" wrote in message

I'd like to know if there is an easier way to trace which circuit
breaker control which outlets.

The radio is a very good way. An alternate to that would be a long
extension cord pluged into a lamp, with the lamp in easy sight.

I've used radios and lamps with extension cords and I've also used a
vacuum cleaner since they make a lot of noise also.

For those who are punctilious and ambitious and efficient (unlike me),
it's probably a good idea to do every outlet and light in the house
while you are at it.

If you have a generator and want to go even further, you can determine
which leg each breaker is on by measuring the voltage between different
outlets. Then you can go to Home Depot and buy a package of
different-colored electrical tape and mark each outlet using a color
code for always on, always off, on only by itself, etc.

If you suspect the circuit is one of just a few, turn those off one at a
time.

If none of the circuits are marked, then turn exactly half off. If the
radio is still on, turn the first half back on and the last half off. Now
the radio should be on. Turn half of the "off" breakers back on. Keep
testing half of the untested breakers until you find it.

Good idea. That kind of reminds me of the search routines I used to use
about 3 lifes ago, in the mid-1970s when I wrote software.

Then reset all your electric clocks.

Randy R. Cox

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DK" wrote in message

I'd like to know if there is an easier way to trace which circuit
breaker control which outlets.

Lots of GOOD advice here.
I'll just ad, PRAY, your house was wired by
a sober electrician.
In my home, the BACK bathroom and
the front porch light and bell are on the same circuit.
One side of my kitchen is on the same circuit
as a bedroom two rooms away.
And the "Piece de resistance" the overhead fixture
in the master BR is on the same circuit as the
garage on the opposite side of the house.
Xeno

Chuckle. Your guy must have wired my place, too.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

some electricians wire always on outlets ground pin up and switched
ground pin down.

If I ever rewire completely each room will have its own breaker for
easy service, a couple breakers foir lighting circuits only plus
breakers for dedicated outlets like fridge.

I have the hodgepoge too As cicuits have gotten overloaded I add more
dedicatyed breakers........

still its a mess, worse the ductwork is in the way leading to messy
romex to avoid obstructions

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 13:00:03 -0400, "jerryl"
wrote:

"Stubby" wrote in message
Buy a replacement lamp plug. Connect a wire across it to make a short
circuit. Attach it to a wooden stick. Plug it into an outlet and see
which breaker blows.

If you think that's funny, you're a sick SOB

Actually, I kind of like the idea.

It is quick and dirty.

My circuit breakers are 22 years old at least and my only worry is
that one of them will refuse to 'break' or take too long to break.

Not sure I like the idea of a superheated wire in my walls and attic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 09:17:31 -0500, DK wrote:

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 13:00:03 -0400, "jerryl"
wrote:

"Stubby" wrote in message
m...
Buy a replacement lamp plug. Connect a wire across it to make a short
circuit. Attach it to a wooden stick. Plug it into an outlet and see
which breaker blows.

If you think that's funny, you're a sick SOB

Actually, I kind of like the idea.

It is quick and dirty.

My circuit breakers are 22 years old at least and my only worry is
that one of them will refuse to 'break' or take too long to break.

Not sure I like the idea of a superheated wire in my walls and attic.

Insert the shorting plug for only a very short time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7 Oct 2006 17:15:26 -0700, wrote:

Randy Cox wrote:
"DK" wrote in message

[...]

Understanding binary can save you a lot of work (too often people
would try one breaker at a time, rather than doing it by halves).

BTW, I've used such a technique with an EMF defector on holiday
lights.

Then reset all your electric clocks.

Randy R. Cox

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7 Oct 2006 19:44:11 -0700, "
wrote:

some electricians wire always on outlets ground pin up and switched
ground pin down.

If I ever rewire completely each room will have its own breaker for
easy service, a couple breakers foir lighting circuits only plus
breakers for dedicated outlets like fridge.

I wish my house had separate lighting circuits.

I have the hodgepoge too As cicuits have gotten overloaded I add more
dedicatyed breakers........

still its a mess, worse the ductwork is in the way leading to messy
romex to avoid obstructions

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Stubby" wrote in message
Buy a replacement lamp plug. Connect a wire across it to make a short
circuit. Attach it to a wooden stick. Plug it into an outlet and see
which breaker blows.

If you think that's funny, you're a sick SOB

Actually, I kind of like the idea.

It is quick and dirty.

My circuit breakers are 22 years old at least and my only worry is
that one of them will refuse to 'break' or take too long to break.

Not sure I like the idea of a superheated wire in my walls and attic.

think of intentional short as testing your breakers. With a intential
short you control the length of the short and its severity...

If you have FPE ask more questions

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 10:49:45 -0500, Mark Lloyd

Understanding binary can save you a lot of work (too often people
would try one breaker at a time, rather than doing it by halves).

I am not sure exactly how this is going to save any time. If you are
standing at the panel listening for the radio, you can switch one at
a time and find it sooner.

What if the breaker was the first one? How would turning half off
save time?

If the breaker is one in the second half then you have already turned
off half the panel using both examples.

Understanding common sense can save you a lot to work too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry" wrote in message
On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 10:49:45 -0500, Mark Lloyd

Understanding binary can save you a lot of work (too often people
would try one breaker at a time, rather than doing it by halves).

I am not sure exactly how this is going to save any time. If you are
standing at the panel listening for the radio, you can switch one at
a time and find it sooner.

What if the breaker was the first one? How would turning half off
save time?

If the breaker is one in the second half then you have already turned
off half the panel using both examples.

Understanding common sense can save you a lot to work too.

Doesn't it also matter how many breakers you have in your box too. I have 8
breakers total, 2 are double pull and obviously not for outlets, so that
leaves six, not exactly difficult nor time consuming to kill 6 breakers and
figure out which goes where. Using binary would be ludicrous in that
situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote:
On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 10:49:45 -0500, Mark Lloyd

Understanding binary can save you a lot of work (too often people
would try one breaker at a time, rather than doing it by halves).

I am not sure exactly how this is going to save any time. If you are
standing at the panel listening for the radio, you can switch one at
a time and find it sooner.

What if the breaker was the first one? How would turning half off
save time?

If the breaker is one in the second half then you have already turned
off half the panel using both examples.

Understanding common sense can save you a lot to work too.

It's an either/or situation. If you're not using the extension
cord/radio/vacuum cleaner method and you have to run up and down the
basement stairs, for example, then the search routine makes a lot of
sense. I've used all of the mentioned methods over the years depending
on the situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Xeno Chauvin wrote:
....[snip other parts of story implying a poor
job/design/electrician]...
And the "Piece de resistance" the overhead fixture
in the master BR is on the same circuit as the
garage on the opposite side of the house.

Actually, that is overall, a_good_thing (TM) and undoubtedly
intentional -- the point is that not all service in a particular area
of the house be affected by the tripping of a single breaker.

If, for a simple example, the panel is in the basement and it's late at
night and all lights in the basement and down the stairs are on the
same circuit, how easy is it going to be to get down there and find it
in total darkness if that one is the one and _none_ of the lights or
receptacles are still on?

Don't jump to conclusions about the electrician's sobriety _too_ soon
without considering all alternatives...

Of course, there _should_ be a note on each receptacle and a chart at
the box or somewhere else that does the identification...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 12:45:23 -0400, Terry
wrote:

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 10:49:45 -0500, Mark Lloyd

Understanding binary can save you a lot of work (too often people
would try one breaker at a time, rather than doing it by halves).

I am not sure exactly how this is going to save any time. If you are
standing at the panel listening for the radio, you can switch one at
a time and find it sooner.

You don't have to check as often. Anyway, I recommend identifying
everything at once, rather than individually.

What if the breaker was the first one? How would turning half off
save time?

If the breaker is one in the second half then you have already turned
off half the panel using both examples.

Just start your checking with the correct breaker. It's the easiest
way, and works every time! :-)

It could be the first one. It could be the second one in the first
half. If could be the first one in the second half. It could be the
last one in the second half. There's as many possibilities as
breakers, ALL EQUALLY LIKELY. Before doing any testing, the average is
the best thing you have.

Understanding common sense can save you a lot to work too.

and not getting thrown off by simple AND INAPPROPRIATE thinking is
still good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 10:26:31 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

"Terry" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

"ludicrous" makes it sound like using binary is much more work. That's
incorrect.

The average is 3 for either method. If you consider maximum (as
someone might), you get 3 (for binary) or 6 (for one at a time).

I'd still check everything and label the breakers properly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 19:22:20 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

"ludicrous" makes it sound like using binary is much more work. That's
incorrect.

Lets take the radio method.

If it happens to be the first breaker you switch one breaker. If it
is slot 2 you turn 2 breakers. If 3=3 4=4 say you have 12 on the
right and 12 on the left. The most switches you would make is 12.

Lets take the binary method.

You turn off all 12 breakers on your first try. If you guess right
you turn 6 back on, but if you guess wrong you turn those 6 off and
turn the other 6 on.

Yeah, you are using way too much brain power for this 10 cent project.

This doubles if it happens to be the second half. Try the math
again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DK wrote:
On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 13:00:03 -0400, "jerryl"
wrote:

"Stubby" wrote in message
m...

Buy a replacement lamp plug. Connect a wire across it to make a short
circuit. Attach it to a wooden stick. Plug it into an outlet and see
which breaker blows.

If you think that's funny, you're a sick SOB

Actually, I kind of like the idea.

It is quick and dirty.

My circuit breakers are 22 years old at least and my only worry is
that one of them will refuse to 'break' or take too long to break.

Not sure I like the idea of a superheated wire in my walls and attic.

I do that all the time. A short piece of 12 gauge bent where
I can put both ends into the outlet. Snaps the breaker
immediately with very little sparking. Since I have done this
over a hundred times without any problems, I think it may be
OK to continue to do it in the future.

I have all the tracers, locators, testers, etc., but that is
the fastest and most efficient method of locating the breaker
that controls whatever you are trying to work on. Works for
lights, too. Just bend the wire where it will touch the
center contact and the side of a light socket. Make sure that
you turn on the switch.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Knew an old fart electrician who kept a piece of 14 gage wire for just
this reason. Six inches or so, curved it like a horseshoe. Pounded the
two exposed ends flat. He'd shove it into the outlet, adn go see which
breaker tripped. It's not funny. And I don't have the courage to try
this myself.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"jerryl" wrote in message
. ..

"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..
Buy a replacement lamp plug. Connect a wire across it to make a

short
circuit. Attach it to a wooden stick. Plug it into an outlet and

see
which breaker blows.

If you think that's funny, you're a sick SOB

Posted to alt.home.repair

That would be FPE, Federal Pacific, Stab-Loc breakers.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"DK" wrote in message

My circuit breakers are 22 years old at least and my only worry is
that one of them will refuse to 'break' or take too long to break.

Not sure I like the idea of a superheated wire in my walls and attic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My circuit breakers are 22 years old at least and my only worry is
that one of them will refuse to 'break' or take too long to break.

Not sure I like the idea of a superheated wire in my walls and attic.

Insert the shorting plug for only a very short time.

Which works really well until the one time the
'F'ing thing welds itself to the plug and you can't
get it out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ludicrous" makes it sound like using binary is much more work. That's
incorrect.

Lets take the radio method.

If it happens to be the first breaker you switch one breaker. If it
is slot 2 you turn 2 breakers. If 3=3 4=4 say you have 12 on the
right and 12 on the left. The most switches you would make is 12.

Lets take the binary method.

You turn off all 12 breakers on your first try. If you guess right
you turn 6 back on, but if you guess wrong you turn those 6 off and
turn the other 6 on.

Yeah, you are using way too much brain power for this 10 cent project.

This doubles if it happens to be the second half. Try the math
again.

If you're using a light, or something else where you have
to go CHECK the outlet in question, then doing a binary search
makes sense. If you're using a noise-generator where you
can tell immediately on flipping a breaker whether you killed
the one you want, then it's nonsense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote in
:

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 10:59:46 -0500, "Randy Cox"
wrote:

"DK" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

With all the replies, I was wondering if anyone was gonna post the
obvious!

A note that may not be obvious too all is to make sure switch controlled
outlets are on first and make sure to test both sides of the outlet.