Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to quiet a dehumidifier

I have put a dehumidifier in my basement to take some of the dampness out of
the air. The problem is I can only run it during the day because my
daughter's bedroom is in the basement and the dehumidifier is really noisy.
Does anyone have a creative idea for quietening it down? (It's already on a
carpet). Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Remi" wrote in message
I have put a dehumidifier in my basement to take some of the dampness out
of the air. The problem is I can only run it during the day because my
daughter's bedroom is in the basement and the dehumidifier is really noisy.
Does anyone have a creative idea for quietening it down? (It's already on a
carpet). Thanks.

Build a plywood box around it. Line the box with carpet or some other soft
material. Leave a few decent sized (3" ?) holes in the box to provide
airflow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kyle Boatright wrote:

"Remi" wrote in message

I have put a dehumidifier in my basement to take some of the dampness out
of the air. The problem is I can only run it during the day because my
daughter's bedroom is in the basement and the dehumidifier is really noisy.
Does anyone have a creative idea for quietening it down? (It's already on a
carpet). Thanks.

Build a plywood box around it. Line the box with carpet or some other soft
material. Leave a few decent sized (3" ?) holes in the box to provide
airflow.

That would help reduce the noise, however it could create a hazard.
That could cause the unit to overheat, also it would not have adequate
air circulation to dehumidify.
-udarrell

--
Air Conditioning's Affordable Path to the "Human Comfort Zone Goal"
http://www.udarrell.com/aircondition...l_systems.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

Build a plywood box around it. Line the box with carpet or some other soft
material. Leave a few decent sized (3" ?) holes in the box to provide
airflow.

That would help reduce the noise, however it could create a hazard.
That could cause the unit to overheat, also it would not have adequate
air circulation to dehumidify.
-udarrell

In addition to potentially overheating, it seems like it just wouldn't
work as well, unless it had a really strong fan to circulate lots of
humid air in through those 3" holes. The whole point is that it needs
to pull in the humid air, pass it over cooling coils, and blow out dry
air, which would not work well in a box. The air inside the box sure
would be dry, but I have doubts about the rest of the basement.
My advice: if it's a specific part of the dehumidifier that's
rattling/vibrating, see if you can glue/clamp/rubberband/tie that part
so it doesn't vibrate. If it's really the motor making all the noise,
there's a chance that bearings could be bad or the fan blades could be
unbalanced or something like that, but unless you're a confident DIYer,
it would probably be more expensive to fix than it's worth. Try a new
dehumidifier - pay attention to the return policy and try it for a
week.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Remi" wrote in message
I have put a dehumidifier in my basement to take some of the dampness out

of
the air. The problem is I can only run it during the day because my
daughter's bedroom is in the basement and the dehumidifier is really

noisy.
Does anyone have a creative idea for quietening it down? (It's already on

carpet). Thanks.

To the OP:
Get a heavy duty timer. Shut the thing off during certain hours. Your
daughter's entitled to silence when she's sleeping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Of course my daughter is entitled to silence when she's sleeping. That's why
I want to know how to make the dehumidifier quieter. If it's running all day
and then off at night, I'm just wasting energy as the humidity builds up
when the dehumidifier is off.

"Remi" wrote in message
I have put a dehumidifier in my basement to take some of the dampness
out

of
the air. The problem is I can only run it during the day because my
daughter's bedroom is in the basement and the dehumidifier is really

noisy.
Does anyone have a creative idea for quietening it down? (It's already
on

carpet). Thanks.

To the OP:
Get a heavy duty timer. Shut the thing off during certain hours. Your
daughter's entitled to silence when she's sleeping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Remi" wrote in message
I have put a dehumidifier in my basement to take some of the dampness
out
of
the air. The problem is I can only run it during the day because my
daughter's bedroom is in the basement and the dehumidifier is really
noisy.
Does anyone have a creative idea for quietening it down? (It's already
on
carpet). Thanks.

To the OP:
Get a heavy duty timer. Shut the thing off during certain hours. Your
daughter's entitled to silence when she's sleeping.

Of course my daughter is entitled to silence when she's sleeping. That's
why I want to know how to make the dehumidifier quieter. If it's running
all day and then off at night, I'm just wasting energy as the humidity
builds up when the dehumidifier is off.

1) If the basement's so damp that you notice buildup with the dehumidifier
off for 8 hours, you should find the source of the humidity and deal with
it.

2) Unless the basement's got VERY serious problems, dehumidifiers will run
often when you first install them, and then run less as the various objects
in the basement dry out (walls, rugs, stored items). This stabilization
period can vary quite a bit depending on what's actually holding the
humidity (besides the air itself). The bottom line is that you may notice
little or no difference in comfort between running the thing all day, and
shutting it off at night.

3) If you want to quiet the thing, build a box around it. Wood lined inside
with carpet. 3 sides and a top. 1 side open.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Remi" wrote in message
I have put a dehumidifier in my basement to take some of the dampness out

of
the air. The problem is I can only run it during the day because my
daughter's bedroom is in the basement and the dehumidifier is really

noisy.
Does anyone have a creative idea for quietening it down? (It's already on

carpet). Thanks.

To the OP:
Get a heavy duty timer. Shut the thing off during certain hours. Your
daughter's entitled to silence when she's sleeping.

Is it fan-noise or rattling thats the issue?
The best solution is to find a quieter model dehumidifier,
but failing that, gluing something heavy to the sheet
metal may (or may not) help. Is the machine IN
the bedroom? Can you do something about reducing the
noise going through the wall/door?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

If it is a Kenmore, don't worry. It will break in about 1 year and then it
will be quiet. I am on my 3rd.

"Remi" wrote in message
I have put a dehumidifier in my basement to take some of the dampness out
of the air. The problem is I can only run it during the day because my
daughter's bedroom is in the basement and the dehumidifier is really noisy.
Does anyone have a creative idea for quietening it down? (It's already on a
carpet). Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Remi wrote:
I live in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada and they are legal
here. Maybe you should move.

================

One of the great humors of this newsgroup is the number of
people who assume that their local zoning is pretty much
universal. As you have pointed out, that just isn't true.

In our area, the major zoning requirement for a basement
bedroom is that two exits must exist. One exit is generally
the stairway to the ground floor. The second exit can be a
direct exit "to daylight", a window which qualifies as an
"egress window", or a second stairway to the first floor.

Gideon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Please learn how to reply correctly within a newsgroup thread.
If you want to reply to the OP, then reply to his post and not
somebody else's. It's not that difficult to do intelligently.

====================

JoeSpareBedroom wrote

To the OP:
Get a heavy duty timer. Shut the thing off during certain hours. Your
daughter's entitled to silence when she's sleeping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gideon" wrote in message
====================

JoeSpareBedroom wrote

To the OP:
Get a heavy duty timer. Shut the thing off during certain hours. Your
daughter's entitled to silence when she's sleeping.

Please learn how to reply correctly within a newsgroup thread.
If you want to reply to the OP, then reply to his post and not
somebody else's. It's not that difficult to do intelligently.

My news server lost the OP's original message, so the thread began with
"" messages.

By the way: Please learn how to reply correctly within a newsgroup thread.
Bottom post so your messages read in the way that's expected by the vast
majority of literate people on the planet. It's not that difficult to do
intelligently.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In our area, the major zoning requirement for a basement
bedroom is that two exits must exist. One exit is generally
the stairway to the ground floor. The second exit can be a
direct exit "to daylight", a window which qualifies as an
"egress window", or a second stairway to the first floor.

That last is mildly odd. The model codes require the
separate means of egress to be separated by a fire
assembly, (or something like that), meaning that
a second stairway leading to the garage would
be OK, but on set of stairs to the kitchen,
and another one to the family room wouldn't be.
(Unless the house is strangly constructed).

Apparently, the idea being that a fire that starts in
one place shouldn't be able to block or smoke out
both exits unless it's been burning for more than
an hour.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Remi, JonnyBoy679 wrote:
Wow, some of these people answered everything BUT your question. I am also
looking for a way to quiet my dehumidifier. I heard that capacitors are good
for that. Although that is all I know at the moment, still looking for answers

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-152996-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/18/2017 2:44 PM, JonnyBoy679 wrote:
replying to Remi, JonnyBoy679 wrote:
Wow, some of these people answered everything BUT your question. I am also
looking for a way to quiet my dehumidifier. I heard that capacitors are
good
for that. Although that is all I know at the moment, still looking for
answers

Pulling the plug works best. You will barely hear it when you do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

On 12/18/2017 2:44 PM, JonnyBoy679 wrote:
replying to Remi, JonnyBoy679 wrote:
Wow, some of these people answered everything BUT your question. I am also
looking for a way to quiet my dehumidifier. I heard that capacitors are
good
for that. Although that is all I know at the moment, still looking for
answers

Pulling the plug works best. You will barely hear it when you do.

You mean it won't emit the "death rattle"?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/18/2017 2:44 PM, JonnyBoy679 wrote:
replying to Remi, JonnyBoy679 wrote:
Wow, some of these people answered everything BUT your question. I am also
looking for a way to quiet my dehumidifier. I heard that capacitors are good
for that. Although that is all I know at the moment, still looking for answers

This unit was rated very quiet by Consumer Reports so I bought one.Â* It is very quiet indeed.

Sunpentown SPT SD-31E Energy Star Dehumidifier, 30-Pint

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BMEGM64

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Dec 2017 15:09:27 -0500, Tekkie®
wrote:

Pulling the plug works best. You will barely hear it when you do.

You mean it won't emit the "death rattle"?

Not after being used for target practice and removed from the firing
range.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Reg Reg is offline

replying to Tekkie®, Reg wrote:
Not many useful suggestions and a whole pile of ****wittery among the

for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-152996-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2018 8:14 AM, Reg wrote:
replying to Tekkie®, Reg wrote:
Not many useful suggestions and a whole pile of ****wittery among the

And it only took you 12 years to come up with a reply. Bit slow are you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Remi, Fighting Noise wrote:
I read to take the handle off the water holding tank. I did this and it has
quieted down. Also said to put a rock in that empty tank after you empty it.
No vibration then. Hope this helps.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-152996-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jen Jen is offline

replying to New & Improved - N/F John, Jen wrote:
How on gods earth does that pertain to the question asked? Not to mention who
cares if they're "illegal" which seems kinda far fetched and overstepping on
the law end of it but illegal or not if I wanted a basement bedroom in your
state I'd make one I'm pretty sure that the police aren't going from house to
house looking for banned basement bedrooms lol

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-152996-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jen Jen is offline

replying to Gideon, Jen wrote:
Somebody has too much time on their hands and cares a little bit too much
about the interwebs unspoken rules of reply.
(Did I do it right?)

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-152996-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/2019 6:14 PM, Jen wrote:
replying to Gideon, Jen wrote:
Somebody has too much time on their hands and cares a little bit too much
about the interwebs unspoken rules of reply.
(Did I do it right?)

Despite your source of this forum, which posts it as it's own, this is
not the "interweb". This is "usenet". Look it up.