DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   furnace keeps going on even tho thermostat temp reached (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/177955-furnace-keeps-going-even-tho-thermostat-temp-reached.html)

[email protected] October 2nd 06 09:16 PM

furnace keeps going on even tho thermostat temp reached

hello to all you heating gurus:

we have just moved into a new house, and the furnace was working fine.
for some reason, this afternoon when i went upstairs to put my son down
for a nap, the thermostat said it was 74. it was hot. it was set at 62.
i turned it down all the way, and i still heard the furnace kick in.

is there any simple explanation to this before i call the plumber??

any help would be appreciated. the furnace is quite old, about 25
years, but our inspector told us that it was fine.

jae

[email protected] October 2nd 06 09:22 PM

wrote:
hello to all you heating gurus:

we have just moved into a new house, and the furnace was working fine.
for some reason, this afternoon when i went upstairs to put my son down
for a nap, the thermostat said it was 74. it was hot. it was set at 62.
i turned it down all the way, and i still heard the furnace kick in.

is there any simple explanation to this before i call the plumber??

any help would be appreciated. the furnace is quite old, about 25
years, but our inspector told us that it was fine.

jae

Try disconnecting the thermostat first. Eliminate this as a possible
issue.

Forced hot air OR hot water rads for heat?

[email protected] October 2nd 06 10:28 PM

furnace keeps going on even tho thermostat temp reached

it's oil heat, baseboard. i'm a complete newbie - how do i disconnect
the thermostat?????

RBM October 3rd 06 12:47 AM

furnace keeps going on even tho thermostat temp reached

If the thermostat is for heat only, not A/C, once you open it up you will
see two wires attached to screws. Remove one of them and the heat for that
zone should stop if the problem is a bad thermostat. This circuit works on
24 volts so it's not dangerous. Beyond a bad thermostat, you should call a
heating professional

ups.com...

EXT October 3rd 06 04:17 AM

furnace keeps going on even tho thermostat temp reached

In some systems the boiler runs without the thermostat. It has its own
internal thermostat that controls the temperature of the water in the boiler
always keeping it hot when the boiler is turned on. The wall thermostat will
turn on a pump sending hot water to the radiators when needed and turning
the pump off when not needed. But the boiler always keeps itself hot. Other
systems work differently.

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
If the thermostat is for heat only, not A/C, once you open it up you will
see two wires attached to screws. Remove one of them and the heat for that
zone should stop if the problem is a bad thermostat. This circuit works on
24 volts so it's not dangerous. Beyond a bad thermostat, you should call a
heating professional

ups.com...

RBM October 3rd 06 01:15 PM

furnace keeps going on even tho thermostat temp reached

Yes, that would be a maintained temperature boiler as opposed to a cold
start boiler, usually found on boilers that have a coil for domestic hot
water. An aquastat in the water jacket controls the temperature, connected
to a triple aquastat relay. Of course these days with hi end digital
controls, that stuff will soon be a thing of the past

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
In some systems the boiler runs without the thermostat. It has its own
internal thermostat that controls the temperature of the water in the
boiler always keeping it hot when the boiler is turned on. The wall
thermostat will turn on a pump sending hot water to the radiators when
needed and turning the pump off when not needed. But the boiler always
keeps itself hot. Other systems work differently.

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
If the thermostat is for heat only, not A/C, once you open it up you will
see two wires attached to screws. Remove one of them and the heat for
that zone should stop if the problem is a bad thermostat. This circuit
works on 24 volts so it's not dangerous. Beyond a bad thermostat, you
should call a heating professional

ups.com...

Stormin Mormon October 3rd 06 02:23 PM

furnace keeps going on even tho thermostat temp reached

The two things come to mind are bad thermostat, or a bad contactor
(relay) in the furnace. Couple years back, some friends of mine had a
furnace that would heat the house up into the 80s, and would not turn
off. They had replaced the thermostat four times, no joke. The problem
turned out to be a bad relay

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

oups.com...

Marilyn & Bob October 3rd 06 04:58 PM

furnace keeps going on even tho thermostat temp reached

wrote in message
oups.com...
hello to all you heating gurus:

we have just moved into a new house, and the furnace was working fine.
for some reason, this afternoon when i went upstairs to put my son
down
for a nap, the thermostat said it was 74. it was hot. it was set at
62.
i turned it down all the way, and i still heard the furnace kick in.

is there any simple explanation to this before i call the plumber??

any help would be appreciated. the furnace is quite old, about 25
years, but our inspector told us that it was fine.

jae

Most of the answers so far assume that you have a separate hot water heater.
Is that true or does your boiler also supply domestic hot water?
--
Peace,
BobJ