Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Crack in microwave

I have a small crack on the floor of my microwave oven. Should I
discontinue use? Will the microwaves be able to escape? Please excuse
my question - when I read it over it sounds dumb but I'd stull like an
answer.

Thanks for the help!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a small crack on the floor of my microwave oven. Should I
discontinue use? Will the microwaves be able to escape? Please excuse
my question - when I read it over it sounds dumb but I'd stull like an
answer.

Thanks for the help!

Crack in what? The glass pan?

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a small crack on the floor of my microwave oven. Should I
discontinue use? Will the microwaves be able to escape? Please excuse
my question - when I read it over it sounds dumb but I'd stull like an
answer.

Thanks for the help!

Crack in what? The glass pan?

Ummmm...a crack in the unit itself. Doubtful I'd be too concerned
about a cracked glass dish.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a small crack on the floor of my microwave oven. Should I
discontinue use? Will the microwaves be able to escape? Please excuse
my question - when I read it over it sounds dumb but I'd stull like an
answer.

Thanks for the help!

Crack in what? The glass pan?

Ummmm...a crack in the unit itself. Doubtful I'd be too concerned
about a cracked glass dish.

Buy a new one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a small crack on the floor of my microwave oven. Should I
discontinue use? Will the microwaves be able to escape? Please excuse
my question - when I read it over it sounds dumb but I'd stull like an
answer.

Thanks for the help!

Crack in what? The glass pan?

Ummmm...a crack in the unit itself. Doubtful I'd be too concerned
about a cracked glass dish.

Buy a new one.

if the cracked part is metal, that can be dangerous

if the cracked part is plastic, probably not a problem...just be sure
there is metal surrouding the inside of the oven in all directions.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

The base of the interior shell of the microwave would be of steel. As long
as the interior surfaces & door mesh & seals are intact, it should operate
as designed. If the outside case is cracked, it won't affect the
performance.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a small crack on the floor of my microwave oven. Should I
discontinue use? Will the microwaves be able to escape? Please excuse
my question - when I read it over it sounds dumb but I'd stull like an
answer.

Thanks for the help!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark" wrote in message
ups.com...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a small crack on the floor of my microwave oven. Should I
discontinue use? Will the microwaves be able to escape? Please
excuse
my question - when I read it over it sounds dumb but I'd stull like
an
answer.

Thanks for the help!

Crack in what? The glass pan?

Ummmm...a crack in the unit itself. Doubtful I'd be too concerned
about a cracked glass dish.

Buy a new one.

if the cracked part is metal, that can be dangerous

if the cracked part is plastic, probably not a problem...just be sure
there is metal surrouding the inside of the oven in all directions.
Mark

Just my opinion, but based on the lack of detail in the original question,
the person does not have the mechanical intuition to judge any of this. Buy
a new one.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 1 Oct 2006 19:06:32 -0700, "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:

mm wrote:
On 30 Sep 2006 13:53:09 -0700, wrote:

Radio Shack used to sell a microwave detector. Maybe it still does, I
don't keep track.

I have one and it works well.

How do you know it works well? Because when cheap microwave detectors
have been tested by qualified people, they've usually found that they
either give false positives (even when the oven was turned off --
they're not tuned to just microwaves but will detect any signals)) or
they read zero (in one case, even inside the oven). The most reliable
ones use either a fluorescent light tube (not very sensitive but should
glow slightly in a dark room if held right next to the oven and the
leakage is around 5-10x the legal maximum) or liquid crystals
(sensitivity unknown).

I had a microwave oven that worked well** that had no latch on the
door. It was built that way. I held the detector by the door and all
around and it showed zero everywhere. The moment I cracked the door
open, the reading started to climb, fairly quickly, and in proportion
to how much the door was open. To be sure, it never got more than 1/4
scale, but I could only open the door a little before a safety switch
turned the oven off. I think that was a pretty good test.

It uses a meter with a needle.

**It was Amana Model #2. I've not seen Model #1, but model 2 looked
like the picture they used for decades to represent a microwave. I
fixed it a couple times, but finally the transformer burned out, and
they wanted 250 for the part.
Posted to alt.home.repair

most microwaves are fairly cheap these days, I wouldn't try using one
with a crack in it unless I knew it was safe. I would be more concerned
with a grounding problem then with leakage, if something cracked the
shell, who knows what else happened inside?

Empresser #124457

The best Games

I have a small crack on the floor of my microwave oven. Should I
discontinue use? Will the microwaves be able to escape? Please excuse
my question - when I read it over it sounds dumb but I'd stull like an
answer.

Thanks for the help!

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to JoeSpareBedroom, cracked floor wrote:
they said the floor of the microwave like we have and its been that way for a
long time.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ve-151059-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's an 11 year old thread.

Fortunately we know what happened.

The OP's eyesight was okay but not super sharp. One of his kids came to visit and said "Ewww, what's this dog hair doing in the microwave?"

A quick swipe with Mr. Clean and the crack disappeared.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 23, 2016 at 11:14:05 AM UTC-5, cracked floor wrote:

replying to JoeSpareBedroom, cracked floor wrote:
they said the floor of the microwave like we have and its been that way for a
long time.

for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ve-151059-.htm

It must be a requirement for those accessing homemoanershubby
that reading comprehension is not a priority. Here we have another
dumbass by the name of cracked floor aka crack head replying to
a TEN YEAR OLD thread.