DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Building a deck over a slab (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/177553-building-deck-over-slab.html)

jtumis September 29th 06 04:32 AM

Building a deck over a slab

I want to build an 12x16 deck on top of an 8x10 slab. Slab is in good

condition. I want to lay the floor boards across the slab. I was
going to build a frame ( with2x6's) that would be on top of the ground
and in some areas partially underground to attach the floor boards too
where the wood deck would overhang the slab. Is this real for me to
do? Would the whole deck be able to withstand freezing? Should the
support beams in and on the ground be cemented or supported with stone.
I don't want any railing since I planning on building a pergola above
it in the spring? Kentucky winter?

tim1198 September 29th 06 11:28 AM

Building a deck over a slab

I would at least anchor the 2x6 framing to the slab. As for the ones
that are outside the slab, dig down past the frost line or else you may
have a lot of movement.

Most wood and composite decking requires adequate ventilation below the
deck or you'll risk it getting moldy and stinky...

Tim Fischer September 29th 06 04:10 PM

Building a deck over a slab

"tim1198" wrote in message
oups.com...
I would at least anchor the 2x6 framing to the slab. As for the ones
that are outside the slab, dig down past the frost line or else you may
have a lot of movement.

I disagree. The slab is almost certainly floating (no footers below the
frost line). You don't want one section of the deck on frost footings and
the other floating. You either need to make the entire deck float (which
means it cannot be attached to the house, although it can sit right next to
it) or break up the concrete and install frost footings everywhere. You
wouldn't need to remove the entire patio, just break it up where the
footings go.

-Tim

Edwin Pawlowski September 29th 06 04:35 PM

Building a deck over a slab

"Tim Fischer" wrote in message
. ..

"tim1198" wrote in message
oups.com...
I would at least anchor the 2x6 framing to the slab. As for the ones
that are outside the slab, dig down past the frost line or else you may
have a lot of movement.

I disagree. The slab is almost certainly floating (no footers below the
frost line). You don't want one section of the deck on frost footings and
the other floating.

I disagree with both of you and the OP. Why not extend the patio? In the
long run, it will require much less care, be stable, easier to maintain in
snow, no rodents taking up home under a deck, and probably a dozen other
reasons.

jtumis September 30th 06 03:41 AM

Building a deck over a slab

Ed, sounds like this is a better option, how much do yuo think someone
would charge, don't knowanything about concrete, don't want to get
taken advantage of
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Tim Fischer" wrote in message
. ..