DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Water in my gas tank (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/177450-water-my-gas-tank.html)

[email protected] September 28th 06 04:05 AM

Water in my gas tank

I filled up with gas on monday, and every since monday (today is
wednesday) my car is sluggish and I cant accellerate.... I think I have
water in my gas tank.. HELP WHAT CAN I DO... Please email me at
thanks

Al Bundy September 28th 06 04:48 AM

Water in my gas tank

wrote in news:1159412738.532752.153090
@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

I filled up with gas on monday, and every since monday (today is
wednesday) my car is sluggish and I cant accellerate.... I think I have
water in my gas tank.. HELP WHAT CAN I DO... Please email me at
thanks

Please email me at
thanks

Please get your lazy ass back here to check for replies. If you don't have
time, then it's not that important.

Al Bundy September 28th 06 05:05 AM

Water in my gas tank

wrote in news:1159412738.532752.153090
@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

I filled up with gas on monday, and every since monday (today is
wednesday) my car is sluggish and I cant accellerate.... I think I have
water in my gas tank.. HELP WHAT CAN I DO... Please email me at
thanks

Or Dry Gas which has isopropyl alcohol.

http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1b/bl143b.htm
http://www.shorechemical.com/Section...ts/dry_gas.htm

Of course, how much you got soaked depends on what it can do for you. It's
usually meant to homogenize the normal amount of water that condensates in
the tank. If you have an unusually high amount, it may not do squat.

chili palmer September 28th 06 02:16 PM

Water in my gas tank

wrote:
I filled up with gas on monday, and every since monday (today is
wednesday) my car is sluggish and I cant accellerate.... I think I have
water in my gas tank..

since oil is lighter than water, all the water will sink to the bottom
of your gas tank

just find the lowest spot on your gas tank and drill a few small
holes... this will drain all the water off.

if you don't have a drill.. get a hammer and a big steel nail.. just
hit it real good it will finally pop through... make about 6 holes..

problem solved

to plug the holes up.. just stick the nails back in the holes.. they
will hold

Rich256 September 28th 06 03:09 PM

Water in my gas tank

wrote:
I filled up with gas on monday, and every since monday (today is
wednesday) my car is sluggish and I cant accellerate.... I think I have
water in my gas tank.. HELP WHAT CAN I DO... Please email me at
thanks

Why do you think you have water? My experience is that water is more
likely to stall the engine than make it run rough.

More likely just the gas is old or maybe something happened to the
car. If you live in an area that has oxygenated fuel the ethanol will
pick up water.

Stubby September 28th 06 03:50 PM

Water in my gas tank

Rich256 wrote:
wrote:
I filled up with gas on monday, and every since monday (today is
wednesday) my car is sluggish and I cant accellerate.... I think I have
water in my gas tank.. HELP WHAT CAN I DO... Please email me at
thanks

Why do you think you have water? My experience is that water is more
likely to stall the engine than make it run rough.

More likely just the gas is old or maybe something happened to the
car. If you live in an area that has oxygenated fuel the ethanol will
pick up water.

One step in a pre-flight inspection of an airplane is to check all the
"quick drains" for water. This is done by taking a small sample in to a
plastic cylinder with a rounded bottom, something like a test tube.
The water will form a drop in the bottom. Samples need to be taken
until there is no water present. The water gets in mostly due to
condensation in partially filled tanks, but sometimes the gas caps let a
little rain in.

All pilots are taught to react to a rough engine by applying carburetor
heat. Expect the roughness to get worse because ice melting is getting
into the gas flow. Hopefully the roughness will go away after a few
minutes(!).

BobK207 September 28th 06 04:13 PM

Water in my gas tank

wrote:
I filled up with gas on monday, and every since monday (today is
wednesday) my car is sluggish and I cant accellerate.... I think I have
water in my gas tank.. HELP WHAT CAN I DO... Please email me at
thanks

Perhaps you can get someone from the ng to come over & do the work for
you as well.

cheers
Bob

Try a commerical water from gasoline remover (auto parts store).

If that doestn't work siphon the gas out & examine if for water
contamination.

If no water present you can reuse it with water remover. IF water
present & you don't want to return the gas to station for disposal you
could use it up slowly with subsequent fill ups

Fill up again & use more water remover.

The cost of the water remover might justify not using the bad gas.

Sev September 28th 06 07:34 PM

Water in my gas tank

since oil is lighter than water, all the water will sink to the bottom
of your gas tank

just find the lowest spot on your gas tank and drill a few small
holes... this will drain all the water off.

if you don't have a drill.. get a hammer and a big steel nail.. just
hit it real good it will finally pop through... make about 6 holes..

problem solved

to plug the holes up.. just stick the nails back in the holes.. they
will hold

Yeah, my troll sensors were tingling, too, though perhaps we are being
too cynical. I was going to suggest to him a couple bottles of drygas;
car won't seem sluggish after you drink those.

[email protected] September 28th 06 10:49 PM

Water in my gas tank

On 28 Sep 2006 06:16:20 -0700, "chili palmer"

I filled up with gas on monday, and every since monday (today is
wednesday) my car is sluggish and I cant accellerate.... I think I have
water in my gas tank..

since oil is lighter than water, all the water will sink to the bottom
of your gas tank

just find the lowest spot on your gas tank and drill a few small
holes... this will drain all the water off.

if you don't have a drill.. get a hammer and a big steel nail.. just
hit it real good it will finally pop through... make about 6 holes..

problem solved

to plug the holes up.. just stick the nails back in the holes.. they
will hold

Thats a great idea, but I have an easier solution. Drive the car as
fast as it will go. When you see a deep ditch next to the road,
suddenly turn the wheel toward that ditch. With any luck the car will
roll over onto its roof. All gas will drain out after a few hours, or
sooner if you remove the gas cap. Then call a wrecker to put the car
back on it's tires and refill the tank with fresh gas. Problem
solved.

chili palmer September 29th 06 02:54 PM

Water in my gas tank

wrote:

Thats a great idea, but I have an easier solution. Drive the car as
fast as it will go. When you see a deep ditch next to the road,
suddenly turn the wheel toward that ditch. With any luck the car will
roll over onto its roof. All gas will drain out after a few hours, or
sooner if you remove the gas cap. Then call a wrecker to put the car
back on it's tires and refill the tank with fresh gas. Problem
solved.

That's CRAZY that's going to put skid marks on the roof!

couldn't he just run it up a tree? you'd get the same dumping effect

or tie a brick to the gas peddle and send it down through his x's
trailer park
cause she's the one that pee'd in his tank

by mere virtue of the fact that she "COULD" stand flat footed and pee
in his tank, is the same reason he left her.

Rich256 September 29th 06 04:03 PM

Water in my gas tank

tom wrote:
Have you tried replacing the fuel filter? Tom
wrote:

That is probably the best suggestion yet. Dirt and not water being the
most likely problem.