Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default NON-egress basement windows

I'm in the planning stage for finishing my basement. Bedroom,
bathroom, workshop, library, office, storage, & fitness room.
Michigan.

Am I reading the code correctly that each room excluding the hallways,
storage & bathroom will EACH need a window = 8% of floor space of that
room? I understand the egress requirements ( & the necessity) of the
bedroom window, but I'm unsure of the non-egress windows. That seems
like an awful lot of windows. With the septic & pipes, the central
air, the power main, the attached garage, the attached deck....there's
not a lot of available wall space left to put more & larger windows in.

Currently there are 4 ground-level windows, 10"x30". Those windows
are placed so that, even if enlarged, 3 rooms would still not have any
windows.

Since I've never in my life been in ANY non-exposed basement that had
large windows that let in plenty of light, fresh air, & the singing of
birds, I'm wondering if I'm understanding the code requirements
correctly.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

i TJHOUGHT it was for sleeping rooms only, although local codes can
vary.....

call local code enforcment officer and ask whats up

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"Darryl" wrote in message

Since I've never in my life been in ANY non-exposed basement that had
large windows that let in plenty of light, fresh air, & the singing of
birds, I'm wondering if I'm understanding the code requirements
correctly.

You may have some local codes that cover this and we'd not be aware of them.
I've seen many a basement re-model with non-egress windows, but they are not
bedrooms and that may be the big difference. Check with you local building
inspector to be sure.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

I live in michigan, and can honestly say that there is no way you could
install a basement egress window in any house inmy subdivision or any
subdivision I have ever lived in without excavating around the house.
at worst you simply won't be able to call it a bedroom for an
appraisal, but unless you have a walkout you can't count it as living
space anyway, it is all storage.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

Darryl wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

You didn't finish reading.

You are reading the "glazing" requirements. However, if you continue to
read, you'll find that, if artificial lighting is available, you do not have
to have those windows. So, if you have electricity, don't worry about it.

For egress, the code says that basements with habitable space and ALL
sleeping rooms must have an emergency escape and rescue opening (egress
window or door). If you have a bedroom down there, that bedroom window will
fulfill the code requirement for the entire basement (unless you have more
than one bedroom).

That window must meet certain criteria. There is a minimum width and height
of the opening that I can't exactly recall, but I think its 20" wide and 24"
tall minimum. The net clear opening must be at least 5 square feet if on
ground level and the sill must be less than 44" from the finished floor.

Shannon Pate

"Darryl" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Am I reading the code correctly that each room excluding the hallways,
storage & bathroom will EACH need a window = 8% of floor space of that
room? I understand the egress requirements ( & the necessity) of the
bedroom window, but I'm unsure of the non-egress windows. That seems
like an awful lot of windows. With the septic & pipes, the central
air, the power main, the attached garage, the attached deck....there's
not a lot of available wall space left to put more & larger windows in.

This is the habitable environment requirement for "occupiable space",
right?

IIRC, it should say something like:
"Every room or space intended for human occupancy shall be provided
with natural *OR* mechanical ventilation".
and
"Every room or space intended for human occupancy shall be provided
with natural *OR* artificial light."

[Emphasis mine].

Which means that if you can get enough window, you don't need
mechanical ventilation or artificial light, unless they're required
by some other section of code. If you can't get enough window,
then you have to provide for artificial light, and for mechanically
ventilating the space. The rules for mechanical ventilation are
in yet ANOTHER codebook, and are apparently non-trivial.
Artificial light is pretty easy.

But I don't do this professionally, so ask your local
jurisdiction.

Currently there are 4 ground-level windows, 10"x30". Those windows
are placed so that, even if enlarged, 3 rooms would still not have any
windows.

Since I've never in my life been in ANY non-exposed basement that had
large windows that let in plenty of light, fresh air, & the singing of
birds, I'm wondering if I'm understanding the code requirements
correctly.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
PPS PPS is offline

In the current Michigan edition of the IRC (2003), the applicable code
requirement is R310.1.

Egress Windows.
Basements with habitable rooms (living, eating, cooking & sleeping), and all
sleeping rooms above grade, require an openable emergency escape and rescue
opening. (If sleeping rooms are located in the basement, an egress window is
required in each sleeping room of the basement, but not in the adjoining
rooms.) The maximum sill height is 44 inches above the floor. The minimum
openable window size is 5 sq.ft.; 24 in. min. height and 20 inch min. width.

Window Wells.
If the window sill is below grade a window well is provided. The window well
shall be 9 sq.ft. with a minimum horizontal projection of 3 ft.

Steps.
If the window well is greater than 44 inches in depth, a permanently fixed
ladder or steps are required (cannot interfere with window operation.)
Ladder rung are 12 inch wide, 18 inch apart and project 3 inch min. from
wall.

The requirement may seem over done, but the size requirement is to provide
access for fire-fighters carrying all their gear, including oxygen bottles,
access into the basement.

oups.com...