DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   spalling foundation bricks (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/176965-spalling-foundation-bricks.html)

Richard Shaner September 24th 06 01:03 AM

spalling foundation bricks

My house is very old and I would like to fix the foundation without completely digging a new basement. The outside is old red brick and is starting to crumble pretty badly, inside basement as well. I tried to use a mortar mix inside and it worked for a while but now it's falling off and bricks continue to crumble. Is this something I can fix myself or do I need to hire a professional?

Lawrence September 24th 06 02:42 PM

Richard Shaner wrote:
My house is very old and I would like to fix the foundation without
completely digging a new basement. The outside is old red brick and is
starting to crumble pretty badly, inside basement as well. I tried to
use a mortar mix inside and it worked for a while but now it's falling
off and bricks continue to crumble. Is this something I can fix myself
or do I need to hire a professional?

Please post some pics.

[email protected] September 24th 06 02:48 PM

--
Richard Shaner

You don't give information on soil or climate, so only general comment
is possible.
Old brick was often under burned and so "soft".
Face shells would be a bit harder and spall off the brick body.
I would look at rising damp from the ground.
Perhaps you can dampproof the outer face all the way to the foundation.
TB