DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Fence building. (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/176898-fence-building.html)

[email protected] September 23rd 06 02:34 AM

Fence building.

I want to make a 6' tall, wood fence, on 8' centers, using 4" x 4" wood
posts.

When I attach the 2" x 4" horizontal members to the post, is it best to
use lag bolts, decking screws or nails?

Thanks.

Lewis.

******

buffalobill September 23rd 06 03:20 AM

Fence building.

correct answer may vary with climate, winds, soil type.
position with nails, secure with stainless steel deck screws unless you
are in a dry climate use coated screws. lag bolts will add that
strength you want.
for climbing or high wind/hurricane area concerns and fence permit
requirements you'll make sure the posts are sunk below the frost line
with a bag or 2 of concrete per post or whatever is required in your
climate and soil condition and town. good fences make good neighbors,
go visit yours first after you take your property survey to the
building inspector and he tells you how high and how far from the
property line, how deep the posts, etc.

[email protected] September 23rd 06 12:26 PM

Fence building.

I used lots and lots of deck screws, but thats what I had on hand.
never had trouble with it even in 70+MPH winds

Empressess #124457

The best Games

Lawrence September 23rd 06 02:41 PM

Fence building.

wrote:
I want to make a 6' tall, wood fence, on 8' centers, using 4" x 4" wood
posts.

When I attach the 2" x 4" horizontal members to the post, is it best to
use lag bolts, decking screws or nails?

The fences I have seen all used nails for that part. Ring shank nails
are the way to go and have incredible widthdrawal resistance. The wood
will fail before that type of nail with come out. If you use an air
nailer it is fast too.

Lawrence