Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Waterproofing concrete tile roof with Elastomeric paint

Location is Miami Florida. I am going to repaint my house. Single
story CBS (Concrete Block Stucco) with a concrete tile roof.

The concrete tile roof was partially damaged during hurricane
Wilma, the roofing company came out and repaired with some new tiles -
same size same model but different color, since that was all they had
in stock I was not in a position to be picky (roofing contractors are
hard to find and book in our areas). So anyways I have now a roof with
80% old tiles, a little faded gray color and 20% new bright white
tiles. I am considering repainting the roof.

After doing some research on the net, it seems there are a significant
amount
of people who thinks this is not a good idea because the paint will
eventually
break down and decompose after a short time under the extreme heat and rain
in Florida.

I did find this site which claims success.

http://www.somay.com/manufact/water/...histories.html

a picture of the roof with their product after application:
http://www.somay.com/manufact/water/842barrel0002.jpg

The steps a

Surface Preparation:
Treat Surface with Chlorine to Kill Mold, Mildew, Fungus
High Pressure Water Blast to Completely Clean Surface

Prime Coat:

SOMAY Product No. 777 - "PST" 100% Poly-Acrylic Primer, Sealer
Color: Clear

Intermediate Step:

SOMAY Product No. 992 - SOMAY Elastomeric "PATCH & SEAL" (Caulk) to seal
all joints

Intermediate and Finish Coats:

SOMAY Product No. 842, SOMAY Elastomeric "ROOF MASTIC", Sealer & Protector
Apply at 20 mils dry film thickness for each coat
Color: White

Total: 40 mils dry film thickness for all 3 coats

So what I don't understand is this. When they said "Intermediate Step ...
seal all joints" do they mean they seal the edge of each tile? So that
there is no water to go under any tile? and 40 mils of all 3 coasts is very
thick! This is like covering the roof completely with one continuous
layer...right?

Mc

Posted to alt.home.repair

miamicuse wrote:

So what I don't understand is this. When they said "Intermediate Step ...
seal all joints" do they mean they seal the edge of each tile? So that
there is no water to go under any tile? and 40 mils of all 3 coasts is very
thick! This is like covering the roof completely with one continuous
layer...right?

Mc

I think you're on the right track

far as one continuous layer..

i don't see the need

2 things

right! I agree.. 3mil is thick
second, why not just goback to your original plan of sealing the
concrete

you're not looking to waterproof the roof, just seal the concrete

sealers are super thin and soak into the block..
**** all that prep ****.. i mean sure.. remove leaves and sticks and
stuff.

crete sealers have a watery property.. hell! spray it on!

why not just tint the sealer.. make several applications and be done
with it.

try to match the old color.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm in Hawaii [heavy UV] with a concrete shake-style tile roof.
If you are simply adding a color coat to even out the look, skip the heavy
prep.
1/3 the work and 1/3 the price.
I've had fine results from simply applying a quality elastomeric coating
with a heavy nap roller.
Don't apply after a rain - you'll tend to get bubbles. [Of course, no
better way to get a drizzle than to start a roof project.]
Colors will fade in a few years [darker colors faster] but the results
should be uniform.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Living in florida, same setup concrete block house, older tile roof.
I'm of the mind if it aint broke dont fix it, paint it once you'll
always be painting it. I look at this way, my roof is 15 years old, the
original glazing which was baked on was baked off by the florida sun a
long time ago. I would seriously doubt painting or sealing which I also
considered would last more than a few years...figure baked on original
coating maybe lasted 10 years, surely any other wont last but 5 years
maybe which then will have to have it done again.

I've decided with these tile roofs its best to leave them alone,
depending on how the tiles are put up there (sometimes they're nailed,
sometimes held with a blob of morter) if morter, the more you're up
there the more you're going to loosen them and the more that will want
to slide down from vibrations,etc from storms, thunder, hurricanes,
etc.

When I redid my house I contemplated coating the roof as it was pretty
dirty. I decided against painting because I just dont see it lasting
more than a few years. I had it pressured washed and wish I hadn't even
did that, broke, loose tiles,etc. Anyways after pressure washing it it
looked good, I thought about sealing it with concrete sealer because
with the glazing gone all of the tiles are just dirt magnets since its
open pore concrete now, but I doubted that stuff would last 1 summer so
I didn't bother.

Though....my roof is the red stuff. White would drive me nuts, red when
it gets dirty looks like dirty red, white just looks dirty...but
doesn't absorb the heat as much.

My neighbor had his tile painted or coated after a partial replacement
and it looks good. But I coat my pool deck (some type of acrylic
modified cement kooldeck stuff) with a concrete stain...its birdcaged
in from full sun exposure but with the heavy rains and sun it doesn't
last more than 2 seasons before I have to recoat it again. I could be
wrong, but I just dont see this kinda of stuff lasting ..

-shawn

Posted to alt.home.repair

"shawn" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I would like to leave it alone, but the grey + white color is too distinct
and it look bad. I have to do something...I wonder if I should use concrete
stain or Elastomeric waterproofing paint.

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"chili palmer" wrote in message
ups.com...

miamicuse wrote:

[...]

you mean concrete sealer?

like:

58 Benjamin Moore Architectural Coatings Concrete Stain 072-01

or

58 Benjamin Moore Architectural Coatings Concrete Waterproofing Sealer
075-01

something like that?

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

miamicuse wrote:
"shawn" wrote in message

I would like to leave it alone, but the grey + white color is too
distinct and it look bad. I have to do something...I wonder if I
should use concrete stain or Elastomeric waterproofing paint.

Thanks,

MC

I would give it a couple of years. I suspect that the colors will begin
to match in time. I suspect that any paint or other product you use will be
regretted in time. Consider the two different colors as a badge of courage
of living through it all and a conversation item.

If you do decide to paint stain or whatever, do all the prep work very
carefully. It is the most critical part of the whole project. BTW you do
risk the change of damaging the roof doing this work, which is another
reason not to do it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Keiser wrote:
I'm in Hawaii [heavy UV] with a concrete shake-style tile roof.
If you are simply adding a color coat to even out the look, skip the heavy
prep.
1/3 the work and 1/3 the price.
I've had fine results from simply applying a quality elastomeric coating
with a heavy nap roller.
Don't apply after a rain - you'll tend to get bubbles. [Of course, no
better way to get a drizzle than to start a roof project.]
Colors will fade in a few years [darker colors faster] but the results
should be uniform.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

it's an old joke, when its trying to rain you pencil in a circle on the
roof.. if you get more than 25 drops in the circle you get to come
down. of course a good rain dance never hurts

heyah heyah heyah.. you gotta raise one hand and do a slight shimmey -
works every time

Posted to alt.home.repair

miamicuse wrote:

you mean concrete sealer?

like:

58 Benjamin Moore Architectural Coatings Concrete Stain 072-01

or

58 Benjamin Moore Architectural Coatings Concrete Waterproofing Sealer
075-01

something like that?

sure! you get what you pay for, i've seen 5 and 6 yr sealers, i've seen
15 year sealers

Posted to alt.home.repair

Are you sure the original tiles aren't white?..my neighbor has a white
roof and everytime he has it pressured washed i'm amazed that it was
actually white. No idea how they paint them, it would seem like
concrete acid wash, then concrete stain would be longer lasting, but if
your new tiles have some type of ceramic coating seems you would need
something more paint like it would seem.

I think you're going to have to do some calling around on this. I just
went out and looked at that nieghbors roof who had thiers painted or
coated or whatever, its been 2 years and still looks very good...so i
dunno maybe they can get 8 years or so out of whatever it is they do?
Theres alot of houses arond here who do it, i'm just nervous of
creating another major chore..

Posted to alt.home.repair

shawn wrote:
Are you sure the original tiles aren't white?..my neighbor has a white
roof and everytime he has it pressured washed i'm amazed that it was
actually white.

that's a good idea

pressure wash them first maybe they're actually white

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kota had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...nt-148103-.htm
:
Hello my name is Anthony, I came across this article while doing some
other work
related searches. I work for Sky High Roofing and Siding, we are licensed
GC and
roofers servicing all of south florida. My question to you is did you ever
get
that roof replaced while doing my work i am coming across so many people
in
maimi-dade area who the insurance companies have taken advantage of and I
can
help you out tremendously if you still have the partial roof repair still
there
thru programs former govenor Jeb Bush initiated and many aren't aware of.
You
can contact me thru email or by phone or 561.951.7712
miamicuse wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 3:24*pm, (Kota) wrote:
Kota had written this in response tohttp://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Waterproofing-concrete-ti...

[...]