Posted to alt.home.repair

Default house smells

My cat box is in the basement and it seems the oder sometimes gets into
the air blower. Would it hurt anything if I sprayed the air filter
with Febreeze or some other air freshener? Since the air is blowing
out of the blower into the filter I don't see how this could hurt
anything. My only concern is during the winter when the furnace goes
on that if the air freshener is flammable it could ignite.

Thanks!!

Eddie G

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Sep 2006 15:15:23 -0700, "Eddie G" wrote:

My cat box is in the basement and it seems the oder sometimes gets into
the air blower. Would it hurt anything if I sprayed the air filter
with Febreeze or some other air freshener? Since the air is blowing
out of the blower into the filter I don't see how this could hurt
anything. My only concern is during the winter when the furnace goes
on that if the air freshener is flammable it could ignite.

You mean, other than that instead of smelling like cat ****,
your house will smell like cat **** and fabreeze?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Goedjn wrote:
On 19 Sep 2006 15:15:23 -0700, "Eddie G" wrote:

My cat box is in the basement and it seems the oder sometimes gets into
the air blower. Would it hurt anything if I sprayed the air filter
with Febreeze or some other air freshener? Since the air is blowing
out of the blower into the filter I don't see how this could hurt
anything. My only concern is during the winter when the furnace goes
on that if the air freshener is flammable it could ignite.

You mean, other than that instead of smelling like cat ****,
your house will smell like cat **** and fabreeze?

Or cat **** and lysol. Maybe cat ****/vanilla lavender combo will be
nice?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, "Eddie G" wrote:
My cat box is in the basement and it seems the oder sometimes gets into
the air blower. Would it hurt anything if I sprayed the air filter
with Febreeze or some other air freshener? Since the air is blowing
out of the blower into the filter I don't see how this could hurt
anything. My only concern is during the winter when the furnace goes
on that if the air freshener is flammable it could ignite.

I tried this one without any apparent negative effects (which,
of course, doesn't prove there were none). However, there was
not much of a positive effect either. You might be able to smell
the air freshener for an hour or two. The cat smell will last
much longer!

You really need to fix the root cause. Try moving the cat box,
a different brand/type of litter or whatever.

In my case, the musty odor problems were eventually solved when
I replaced a rather old and ickky carpet.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

Malcolm Hoar wrote:

You really need to fix the root cause. Try moving the cat box,
a different brand/type of litter or whatever.

In my case, the musty odor problems were eventually solved when
I replaced a rather old and ickky carpet.

I agree. Also changing or scooping the litter more often will help.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eddie G" wrote in news:1158704123.560777.16470
@d34g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

My cat box is in the basement and it seems the oder sometimes gets into
the air blower. Would it hurt anything if I sprayed the air filter
with Febreeze or some other air freshener? Since the air is blowing
out of the blower into the filter I don't see how this could hurt
anything. My only concern is during the winter when the furnace goes
on that if the air freshener is flammable it could ignite.

Thanks!!

Eddie G

Key is to check it periodocially throughout the day. Scoop out only the
soiled litter and put in airtight bag.

Cat's don't like soiled litter. Do you think you would like to **** in a
toilet that already had a load in it? They don't even like to go in a cat
box given a choice. Wherever I've been, I've always made an exit so they
can go outdoors on their own. Once they find this, they will choose to go
to "their" spot 99% of the time. It also provides an exit in case of
fire.

If your cat is a male and unneutered, the smell is nasty and lengthy.
This is just nature. Get the cat neutered and it will tone down
unbelievably.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eddie G wrote:
My cat box is in the basement and it seems the oder sometimes gets into
the air blower. Would it hurt anything if I sprayed the air filter
with Febreeze or some other air freshener? Since the air is blowing
out of the blower into the filter I don't see how this could hurt
anything. My only concern is during the winter when the furnace goes
on that if the air freshener is flammable it could ignite.

Thanks!!

Eddie G

Hi,
Relocate the litter box. Be logical. I have 3 cats in the house, litter
box is on the main floor far from return air duct.
Also I clean the box twice a day every day.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Eddie G wrote:
My cat box is in the basement and it seems the oder sometimes gets into
the air blower. Would it hurt anything if I sprayed the air filter
with Febreeze or some other air freshener? Since the air is blowing
out of the blower into the filter I don't see how this could hurt
anything. My only concern is during the winter when the furnace goes
on that if the air freshener is flammable it could ignite.

Thanks!!

Eddie G

Hi,
Relocate the litter box. Be logical. I have 3 cats in the house, litter
box is on the main floor far from return air duct.
Also I clean the box twice a day every day.

I almost made the mistake of putting the cat box in the basement - then good
sense came back. I put a cat door in the garage to livingroom doorway and
stuck the box in the garage where it belongs. Clean every day, change the
litter every week and no problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eddie G wrote:

[...]

In my climate that is not an option. In winter it gets as low as
-35C(wind chill upto -50s in C) Can't have such set up. My family always
have had pets. Always neutered or spayed. Now we have 3 adorable
cats(two Bengalis cross sisters and an older male tabby) and a dog.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Eddie G wrote:
My cat box is in the basement and it seems the oder sometimes gets
into the air blower. Would it hurt anything if I sprayed the air
filter with Febreeze or some other air freshener? Since the air is
blowing out of the blower into the filter I don't see how this could
hurt anything. My only concern is during the winter when the furnace
goes on that if the air freshener is flammable it could ignite.

http://www.litter-robot.com/default.aspx?ac=1

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote in

Eddie G wrote:

[...]

No basement Tony? I lived in a place such as yours but it only got to
-30F :-) I always left the basement door ajar but closed. Cats would all
put paw under door and pull open. Cats go to basement, up on cabinet,
jump up to platform put inside of sill window slider. I replaced one side
of the slider with PT plywood and an oval hole with plastic interlocking
triangle pcs specifically for it.

I think you can actually but a window, with frame and flap, that replaces
the basement sill pop out window. Little pricey though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

there are powders you can add to the litterbox to help neutrilize the
amonia oder, I also would recomend low pressure venting of the area (to
the outside if possible).

Empressess #124457

The best Games

Eddie G wrote:
My cat box is in the basement and it seems the oder sometimes gets into
the air blower. Would it hurt anything if I sprayed the air filter
with Febreeze or some other air freshener? Since the air is blowing
out of the blower into the filter I don't see how this could hurt
anything. My only concern is during the winter when the furnace goes
on that if the air freshener is flammable it could ignite.

Thanks!!

Eddie G

Posted to alt.home.repair

Seems like the dampness of the basement would make the odors even worse. The
litter would never have a chance to dry out, at least in my basement it
wouldn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eddie G wrote:

My cat box is in the basement and it seems the oder sometimes gets into
the air blower. Would it hurt anything if I sprayed the air filter
with Febreeze or some other air freshener? Since the air is blowing
out of the blower into the filter I don't see how this could hurt
anything. My only concern is during the winter when the furnace goes
on that if the air freshener is flammable it could ignite.

Thanks!!

Eddie G

Put the cat box in a bathroom, scoop out the days droppings and put into
the garbage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Sep 2006 15:15:23 -0700, "Eddie G" wrote:

My cat box is in the basement and it seems the oder sometimes gets into
the air blower. Would it hurt anything if I sprayed the air filter
with Febreeze or some other air freshener? Since the air is blowing
out of the blower into the filter I don't see how this could hurt
anything. My only concern is during the winter when the furnace goes
on that if the air freshener is flammable it could ignite.

Thanks!!

Eddie G

Eddie,
Try out a filter that has activated charcoal in it, it would be worth
spending the money on. You only have so many options, fitter the air
and remove the smell, TRY and mask the smell, or get rid of the cat or
rid of the reason for the smell (better sanitation.)

However, I would like to point out something that may or may not be
important to you. If you think the smell is "bad" I can promise you
anyone that visits and doesn't have a cat will think the smell is
extremely bad.
Even if you don't smell your cat, anyone that visits you home will
know you have one. You just get use to the smell, but it is still
there.