DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Makita palm sander (BO4552) not gripping sandpaper (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/176393-makita-palm-sander-bo4552-not-gripping-sandpaper.html)

blueman September 19th 06 12:19 AM

Makita palm sander (BO4552) not gripping sandpaper

I have an old Makita palm sander that I hadn't used in a long time.

When I tried to use it, the sandpaper kept coming loose from the
"clamper" almost immediately after turning it on -- clearly, this
makes the sander useless.

Before I take it all apart or throw it out, any easy fixes for it?

Stubby September 19th 06 02:47 AM

blueman wrote:
I have an old Makita palm sander that I hadn't used in a long time.

When I tried to use it, the sandpaper kept coming loose from the
"clamper" almost immediately after turning it on -- clearly, this
makes the sander useless.

Before I take it all apart or throw it out, any easy fixes for it?

Mine works fine. But maybe you can add a piece of cardboard to make the
sandpaper "thicker".

Larry Jaques September 19th 06 02:12 PM

Makita palm sander (BO4552) not gripping sandpaper

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 21:47:39 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
Stubby quickly quoth:

blueman wrote:
I have an old Makita palm sander that I hadn't used in a long time.

When I tried to use it, the sandpaper kept coming loose from the
"clamper" almost immediately after turning it on -- clearly, this
makes the sander useless.

Before I take it all apart or throw it out, any easy fixes for it?

Mine works fine. But maybe you can add a piece of cardboard to make the
sandpaper "thicker".

I'll bet blueman didn't take out all the slack from tthe paper before
starting it. Either that or he didn't clean the backing so it provided
a tacky rubber backing, preventing the paper from sliding around. I
blow off tools with air (takes dust out of pores, etc.) and will swipe
sander pads with denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner (whatever's
out/closest) before using them. Both dry very quickly.

What doesn't kill you + http://diversify.com
....makes you hurt more. + Web application programming

David Martel September 19th 06 02:39 PM

Makita palm sander (BO4552) not gripping sandpaper

blueman,

Wrap some tape around the "clamper" where it holds the sand paper. I've
this problem and found electrical tape works well.

Dave M.