DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Attempting new bathroom tiling from accumulated web knowledge - Am I nuts (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/175856-attempting-new-bathroom-tiling-accumulated-web-knowledge-am-i-nuts.html)

Steve September 14th 06 02:07 AM

Attempting new bathroom tiling from accumulated web knowledge - Am I nuts

Been researching bathroom tile installations for a new bathroom I would
like
to create in my house. Would anyone care to comment on some of the
statements
I have accepted as truth from my research:

1. Alcove tub/shower with tiled walls: Use a vapor barrier, 1/2" CBU,
and thinset. This is the second best option, but first for homeowner
timid about floating a mortar bed.

2. Tub/shower ceiling: Use green board and a high quality latex paint

3. Tub/shower ceiling: Marble tile on ceiling - Can't be done safely
by inexperienced homeowner.

4. Bathroom walls: Greenboard is better than blueboard/plaster.

5. If alcove tub tiles flange out of alcove to exterior face (for
decorative purposes) it is OK to mount these tiles on
blueboard/greenboard.

Love to have someone dispell any misconceptions before
purchase/install.

Thanks,
Steve

RayV September 14th 06 02:37 AM

Steve wrote:
Been researching bathroom tile installations for a new bathroom I would
like
to create in my house. Would anyone care to comment on some of the
statements
I have accepted as truth from my research:

1. Alcove tub/shower with tiled walls: Use a vapor barrier, 1/2" CBU,
and thinset. This is the second best option, but first for homeowner
timid about floating a mortar bed.

I agree

2. Tub/shower ceiling: Use green board and a high quality latex paint

I would expand this to any drywall you replace in the bathroom.

3. Tub/shower ceiling: Marble tile on ceiling - Can't be done safely
by inexperienced homeowner.

Why not? I've never used marble other than a threshhold here & there.
Does it require a special adhesive?

4. Bathroom walls: Greenboard is better than blueboard/plaster.

I'm not so sure but I always put the green stuff in a bathroom cuz, um,
cuz...
THEY say we have to use it.

5. If alcove tub tiles flange out of alcove to exterior face (for
decorative purposes) it is OK to mount these tiles on
blueboard/greenboard.

I agree

Good luck.

Paul Franklin September 14th 06 03:52 AM

Attempting new bathroom tiling from accumulated web knowledge - Am I nuts

On 13 Sep 2006 18:07:44 -0700, "Steve"
wrote:

[...]

I would just add that for any paint in a bathroom, especially the
ceiling, I either use a paint with mildewcide (like Bennie Moore's
K&B) or add mildewcide to the paint.

Personally, I dont' like tile on the ceiling. The grout is too hard
to keep clean and mildew free.

HTH,

Paul

jeffc September 15th 06 02:42 AM

Attempting new bathroom tiling from accumulated web knowledge - Am I nuts

"Steve" wrote in message
ups.com...

1. Alcove tub/shower with tiled walls: Use a vapor barrier, 1/2" CBU,
and thinset. This is the second best option, but first for homeowner
timid about floating a mortar bed.

Mortar beds are "old school" in my understanding, and aren't done much
except by some pros with, um, "experience".

2. Tub/shower ceiling: Use green board and a high quality latex paint

Fine.

3. Tub/shower ceiling: Marble tile on ceiling - Can't be done safely
by inexperienced homeowner.

I don't see why not, unless they mean the marble should not fall out. If
it's big tile, I can see the problem.

4. Bathroom walls: Greenboard is better than blueboard/plaster.

Plaster in a bathroom nowadays? But honestly, how wet are the walls really
going to get?

jeffc September 15th 06 02:44 AM

wrote in message
2. Tub/shower ceiling: Use green board and a high quality latex paint

Oil based paint, latex will show curtains.

What the heck does that mean? I see no reason for oil paint in the
bathroom.