DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   septic tank question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/175849-septic-tank-question.html)

Tony September 14th 06 12:10 AM

septic tank question

Can anyone give me a rough idea on the distance from a 4" diameter
inspection pipe to the septic tank cover on a 1000 gallon tank? I've got
such a setup at my house where I can see the inspection pipe protruding
out from the ground roughly 10-12' from the house foundation and I was
trying to get an idea as to how far from that pipe do I have to start
digging around for the cover.

Thanks in advance.

Jack September 14th 06 12:38 AM

septic tank question

Tony wrote:
Can anyone give me a rough idea on the distance from a 4" diameter
inspection pipe to the septic tank cover on a 1000 gallon tank? I've got
such a setup at my house where I can see the inspection pipe protruding
out from the ground roughly 10-12' from the house foundation and I was
trying to get an idea as to how far from that pipe do I have to start
digging around for the cover.

Thanks in advance.

That pipe may very well be a clean out pipe and the distance from it to
the tank can vary many feet.. Best thing is get a rod that you can
probe with an locate the tank with. Unless your in a climate where the
tank is deep below frost line. Then you may have to use a camera set up
..

Steve B September 14th 06 02:47 AM

septic tank question

If'n you know someone with a metal detector, they can find the top loop in
the plug easily. I have to go up to my cabin and pop the top and have a
look, and that's what I'm going to try first. Of course, I have a metal
detector, but maybe you have one, or know someone who does.

Steve

"Tony" wrote in message
Can anyone give me a rough idea on the distance from a 4" diameter
inspection pipe to the septic tank cover on a 1000 gallon tank? I've got
such a setup at my house where I can see the inspection pipe protruding
out from the ground roughly 10-12' from the house foundation and I was
trying to get an idea as to how far from that pipe do I have to start
digging around for the cover.

Thanks in advance.

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Stubby September 14th 06 01:24 PM

septic tank question

Most honeydipper companies will locate your tank cover for a fee. It
will save you a lot of time.

Heathcliff September 14th 06 06:38 PM

septic tank question

Jack wrote:
Tony wrote:
Can anyone give me a rough idea on the distance from a 4" diameter
inspection pipe to the septic tank cover on a 1000 gallon tank? I've got
such a setup at my house where I can see the inspection pipe protruding
out from the ground roughly 10-12' from the house foundation and I was
trying to get an idea as to how far from that pipe do I have to start
digging around for the cover.

Thanks in advance.

That pipe may very well be a clean out pipe and the distance from it to
the tank can vary many feet.. Best thing is get a rod that you can
probe with an locate the tank with. Unless your in a climate where the
tank is deep below frost line. Then you may have to use a camera set up
.

To elaborate on that a little: get a yard-long piece of plain steel rod
from the hardware store, say 1/8 or 3/16ths, bend a couple inches over
at the top to make a handle, then just start poking the ground with it
near the inspection pipe and working back or forward from there. -- H

[email protected] September 14th 06 07:03 PM

septic tank question

Tony wrote:
Can anyone give me a rough idea on the distance from a 4" diameter
inspection pipe to the septic tank cover on a 1000 gallon tank? I've got
such a setup at my house where I can see the inspection pipe protruding
out from the ground roughly 10-12' from the house foundation and I was
trying to get an idea as to how far from that pipe do I have to start
digging around for the cover.

Thanks in advance.

Odds are it is only a few feet down. But you never know, mine is 15
feet....