Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window replacements and new framing

Hi

I would like to replace the current windows in my house. In doing so
I would also like to make the window frames look better...by adding
outside and inside trim.

We currently have a 1970 ranch style house. It has aluminum window
frames single pane with a glass storm window. The windows take up the
whole frame of the window (as well as the thickenss of the house),
leaving no room for a nice looking window sill on the outside and
stool/apron on the inside.

I want to remove the old windows, and start fresh through the R.O. Add
a sill on the outside (with interior and exterior stops) a stool and
apron inside.

I have replacement windows that are slightly smaller to replace the
windows I currently have. They are Pella Thermalstar vinyl replacement
windows. They aren't as thick as the current windows installed, so I
should be able to get the look that I want.

I have been doing some research, but can't seem to find any
information/steps as to how to create the window frame to have an
outside sill and stops. It doesn't look to hard, but I am looking
for some had information to study before diving into this project.

Are there any downfalls in doing what I am trying to accomplish? Does
anyone have any information as to where I can get steps/instructions in
creating what I want to do?

Thanks