Old September 13th 06, 03:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Amarr vs Clopay garage door

How do Amarr garage doors (aka ReliaBilt, sold by Lowes) compare with
Clopay (aka Holmes, sold by Home Depot)?
Amarr's website says they have "true 24 gauge" steel, but does that
apply to their ReliaBilt brand name? Is Clopay "nominal" or true 24
gauge?

Old September 13th 06, 02:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Check your phone book to see if Wayne Dalton store is in your area. They
make superior doors. Lowes may carry them but in my experience WD will sell
it installed cheaper than Lowes. Also they have a neat opener that fits
over the door instead of needing a track across the ceiling.

ups.com...

Old September 14th 06, 06:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I got a hold of Amarr and Clopay cust svc.
Clopay (Holmes/Home Depot) says their's is a nominal steel gauge rating
while Amarr (ReliaBilt/Lowe's) says theirs is a true gauge. I'm still
not sure how much difference that makes. I've searched the web a bit,
but if it were really that important I would expect there to be a lot
more info explaining it.

Art wrote:
Check your phone book to see if Wayne Dalton store is in your area. They
make superior doors. Lowes may carry them but in my experience WD will sell
it installed cheaper than Lowes. Also they have a neat opener that fits
over the door instead of needing a track across the ceiling.

ups.com...

Old September 14th 06, 08:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I got a hold of Amarr and Clopay cust svc.
Clopay (Holmes/Home Depot) says their's is a nominal steel gauge rating
while Amarr (ReliaBilt/Lowe's) says theirs is a true gauge. I'm still
not sure how much difference that makes. I've searched the web a bit,
but if it were really that important I would expect there to be a lot
more info explaining it.

Doubt it makes any difference as you can be talking thousandths of an inch
difference. The thickness of the steel is a factor, but much more important
is what you do with it, how you form it, how you paint it, and how well the
hardware fits and works.

Old March 5th 15, 01:52 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 14, 2006 at 3:04:33 PM UTC-7, Andy Asberry wrote:
On 12 Sep 2006 19:53:23 -0700, wrote:

How do Amarr garage doors (aka ReliaBilt, sold by Lowes) compare with
Clopay (aka Holmes, sold by Home Depot)?
Amarr's website says they have "true 24 gauge" steel, but does that
apply to their ReliaBilt brand name? Is Clopay "nominal" or true 24
gauge?

I have 5 Amarr doors, three insulated. All have the torsion spring(s)
which are matched to the door weight. Preload the specified number of
turns and they work correctly every time.

Hot-dipped galvanized American made steel.

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

all manufacturers of steel doors [pan or insulated] use similar steel. finish at the factory is important. in this discussion only two mfgs. are mentioned. there are many. all mfg. similar styles and grades. in most cases it is the homeowner who decides what is best for them [appearance and budget].
Old May 7th 15, 03:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 13, 2006 at 8:36:19 AM UTC-5, Art wrote:
Check your phone book to see if Wayne Dalton store is in your area. They
make superior doors. Lowes may carry them but in my experience WD will sell
it installed cheaper than Lowes. Also they have a neat opener that fits
over the door instead of needing a track across the ceiling.

Superior? LOL Wayne Dalton makes the worst doors in the market. I've been doing doors for decades and have seen it all. You can't tell me that a door with PLASTIC drums, Internal springs (aka very low cycle) paper backing and outright FALSE R value claims makes a good door.(Its an R 3 for 80% of the door, but in 2" per panel has a thick rib section with an R20 or something like that, so they give it the "average" R value, even though the huge majority of the door is an R3...) Not to mention the opener you reference is also the most unreliable on the market.

I have no doubt you work for Wayne Dalton since they are the ONLY people who recommend that junk, anyone who does this for a living wouldn't never put one in their own homes
Old May 7th 15, 08:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/7/2015 10:54 AM, Nope wrote:
On Wednesday, September 13, 2006 at 8:36:19 AM UTC-5, Art wrote:

Nine years later, your comment is still relevant?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Old June 6th 15, 03:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Stormin Mormon , Sleestak wrote:
cayoung61 wrote:

Nine years later, your comment is still relevant?

Yes, it is relevant. Why would it not be?