DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   installing slider window directly on concrete opening (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/175621-installing-slider-window-directly-concrete-opening.html)

[email protected] September 11th 06 07:20 PM

installing slider window directly on concrete opening

I am enlarging my basement window by cutting a larger openning on the
concrete foundation (not too large to make it unsafe structurally). My
question is: is it necessary to install a wood frame using 2X6 ? or can
I install the vinyl window directly onto the concrete opening, using
shims, foam and insulation, etc ?

What does one need a wood frame ? And what is the best way to anchor
the window to the concrete ? nail gun, concrete screw, adhesive ?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

[email protected] September 11th 06 07:34 PM

installing slider window directly on concrete opening

Hmm, as I recall the wood frame was to hold back the cement when it was
poured. unless there is some code against it I would think the only
problem would be the difference in thermal expansion betwen the cement
and the nylon, whic is probably closer than between wood and nylon
anyway.

I would secure with tapcons (cement screws), they work great.

Empress2454 #124457

The best Games

JerryD\(upstateNY\) September 12th 06 10:38 AM

installing slider window directly on concrete opening

It's NOT called cement !!!
Cement is a fine gray powder.
When you mix cement with water, sand and aggregate, it becomes CONCRETE !!!

wrote:
Hmm, as I recall the wood frame was to hold back the cement when it
was poured. unless there is some code against it I would think the
only problem would be the difference in thermal expansion betwen the
cement and the nylon, whic is probably closer than between wood and
nylon anyway.

I would secure with tapcons (cement screws), they work great.

Empress2454 #124457

The best Games

href=http://www.stephenyong.com/kingsofchaos.htmKings of
chaos/abr