DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   mahogany door refinish (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/175428-mahogany-door-refinish.html)

Mook Johnson September 9th 06 07:56 PM

mahogany door refinish

My builder sent out a slip that said the put bullseye shellac on my mahogany
front door every year to keep it looking its best.

Shellac is a pretty weak finish for use. I'm was thinking more like
Helmsman spar polyurethane to hold up to the elements.

The top and bottom of the door are not finished. Should I seal those or
leave them open to let the wood "breath".?

What would you guys recommend for finishing a mahogany exterior door.

m Ransley September 9th 06 09:06 PM

mahogany door refinish

Use a Marine product it will flex better, Helmsman is ok.

dadiOH September 9th 06 09:48 PM

mahogany door refinish

mook Johnson wrote:

The top and bottom of the door are not finished. Should I seal
those or leave them open to let the wood "breath".?

Seal.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...