Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wood Siding Sealer?

My house is 20 years old with cedar siding.
We had the house pressure washed about a year & a half ago & the wood looked
so good that we decided to leave it natuaral & put a clear finish on it.
Well now its molded & darkened again already. Today it getting pressure
washed again & I want to try the natural look one more time. If it doesn't
work I'm just going to go with a solid stain. Any suggestions on what
product to use etc..

Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gary E wrote:

My house is 20 years old with cedar siding.
We had the house pressure washed about a year & a half ago & the wood looked
so good that we decided to leave it natuaral & put a clear finish on it.
Well now its molded & darkened again already. Today it getting pressure
washed again & I want to try the natural look one more time. If it doesn't
work I'm just going to go with a solid stain. Any suggestions on what
product to use etc..

Gary

I use Behr solid stain from HD. They can mix it to any color you want.
They have a color chart you can take home and study. I am very happy
with Behr and have used it on my cedar siding for 10 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I use Behr solid stain from HD. They can mix it to any color you want.
They have a color chart you can take home and study. I am very happy
with Behr and have used it on my cedar siding for 10 years.

Thanks for the reply.
I should have been more clear about what I'm looking for.
I really want to try another clear sealer first because I want to keep the
natural wood look.
The painters used Thompsons water seal last time & sprayed it on so I was
hoping to find a better product.
From everyone I've talked to it seems like I can only count on a year or two
with a clear sealer.
It's really only for the front of the house. The back & sides already have a
solid stain on them that has held
pretty well but nothing looks as good as natural cedar when it's clean.

Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gary E" wrote in message
My house is 20 years old with cedar siding.
We had the house pressure washed about a year & a half ago & the wood

looked
so good that we decided to leave it natuaral & put a clear finish on it.
Well now its molded & darkened again already. Today it getting pressure
washed again & I want to try the natural look one more time. If it doesn't
work I'm just going to go with a solid stain. Any suggestions on what
product to use etc..

Gary

There are more durable clear finishes out there, but they're relatively
expensive. Cabot makes a product called Cabothane that should be just what
you're looking for. Go talk to one of your local Cabot dealers, or even a
local Sherwin-Williams.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 02:43:36 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Gary
E" quickly quoth:

I use Behr solid stain from HD. They can mix it to any color you want.
They have a color chart you can take home and study. I am very happy
with Behr and have used it on my cedar siding for 10 years.

Thanks for the reply.
I should have been more clear about what I'm looking for.
I really want to try another clear sealer first because I want to keep the
natural wood look.
The painters used Thompsons water seal last time & sprayed it on so I was
hoping to find a better product.

Most everything on the market IS better. g Penofin gets good marks
locally. (PNW)

From everyone I've talked to it seems like I can only count on a year or two
with a clear sealer.
It's really only for the front of the house. The back & sides already have a
solid stain on them that has held
pretty well but nothing looks as good as natural cedar when it's clean.

Yes, I hate the gray weathered look on exterior wood, too. If you're
into extreme pricing and lots of work, try Sikkens Cetol. Otherwise,
give Flood's CWF (clear wood finish) a try. I've heard good things
about it. (I use redwood and paint or stain other woods so I haven't
tried either.)

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---

Posted to alt.home.repair

I hope you are using a good cleaner, that is the key to getting old
cedar its best. If its not to late and you have Shrewin Williams nearby
get their cleaner, Ive seen jobs that only SW cleaned best. For the mold
it depends on what your cleaner contains or household bleach kills it
and its cheap, I just use Bleach.

Thompsons is one of the worst products, Consumer Reports has an ongoing
test of stains and sealers, and dropped Thompsons because it cant
compete, get their article before you decide, a natural colored
Transparent stain will get you many more years then clear. Spend time
cleaning it right and picking your finish, Cabots is always good but a
clear finish is yearly maintenance.