Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dishwasher Noisy Hum In Pump: Still Works

I've got a 18 years old KitchenAid Monteray 21 dishwasher which recently
developed a loud hum when it tries to evacuate the water between and at the
end of it cycles. The engine is running and the water does go out the drain
hose, but maybe not completely. It's almost sounds like it's running dry. I
can still wash a load of dishes with it but I'm thinking something is up
because it's normally not this loud. I removed the lower spray arm and
noticed a brass split ring was unseated and a plastic sleeve with snap
catches inside it was also unseated. I reseated both but they just don't
look right in my mind. Should I start taking apart the pump housing, call a
repair place or start shopping for a new one? (I checked all the screens and
they are clear.) Would a repair guy be able to find parts to fix an almost
20 year old dishwasher? thx.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

A new dishwasher is likely to washer better with less water than your old
one but probably won't last 18 years. I will be surprised if parts are
available.

"Alan Smithee" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Alan Smithee" wrote in message
Should I start taking apart the pump housing, call a
repair place or start shopping for a new one? (I checked all the screens
and
they are clear.) Would a repair guy be able to find parts to fix an almost
20 year old dishwasher? thx.

Even if parts are available, putting a lot of labor cost into an 18 year old
appliance is not sound financially. Could go another few years, could go
tomorrow. I'd start looking for new. New models hold more, use less
energy, are much quieter, and most important, clean better. Fixing your old
one will probably cost have the price of new.

noisy dishwasher Tony Tung Home Repair 4 August 16th 05 03:16 PM
Noisy banging boiler what is the cause? Tim UK diy 8 November 3rd 04 10:36 PM
Dishwasher motor rusty and noisy Martik Home Repair 4 January 11th 04 10:06 PM
noisy central heating pump.. Martin UK diy 3 December 13th 03 05:15 PM
Backup Sump Pump Horror Story Harvey Krodin Home Repair 10 June 27th 03 03:59 PM