DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   refinishing wood floors (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/174821-refinishing-wood-floors.html)

mo September 4th 06 04:05 PM

refinishing wood floors

OK, I have a house built in the 1930`s with Northern
Pine as my bedroom floors. I just finished sanding off all the old
finish. My question is do I need to seal the floor before I polyurathane
it or is it not necessary to seal before the finish?
Also what is a good sealer and polyurathane? Or should a varnish
or shellac be used instead of poly? Thanks

Edwin Pawlowski September 4th 06 04:19 PM

refinishing wood floors

"mo" wrote in message
OK, I have a house built in the 1930`s with Northern
Pine as my bedroom floors. I just finished sanding off all the old
finish. My question is do I need to seal the floor before I polyurathane
it or is it not necessary to seal before the finish?
Also what is a good sealer and polyurathane? Or should a varnish
or shellac be used instead of poly? Thanks

No sealer is needed. If using an oil based poly, thin the first coat with
mineral spirits about 20%.

Polyurethane is a varnish. Many floor finishers use the water base as it
does not have the odors of the oil based. Water is more clear, oil gives
warmer color.

I like shellac, but it is rarely used on floors these days. Poly is usually
easier to care for and is very durable.

jeffreydesign September 4th 06 04:21 PM

refinishing wood floors

Polyurethane can be both your sealer and your final finish. If you're
staining your floors first, most stains have a sealer in them. Do not
mix poly and shellac or varnish finishes. Poly will be one of the the
toughest finishes you can apply if done right (it's what they use in
roller rinks - imagine the abuse there!) If you want a harder poly
finish consider catalyzed polyurethane (also known as a swedish finish)
- however beware that this kind of finish can be difficult to work
with. First the fumes can all but kill you, the working time is
relatively short and whatever it gets on, it stays on (like tools.) For
most folks, catalyzed poly is best left to professionals, but I was
able to apply it myself (by carefully following instructions) with
great results.

Jeff

Art September 4th 06 10:07 PM

refinishing wood floors

Since it is Northern Pine and not a hardwood you need a polyurethane that
flexes. I once bought Sherwin Williams poly and put it on pine and it was a
disaster. You better ask someone experience with pine floors.