Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grout vs. Caulk in tile expansion joints

I've read, here and elsewhere, where professional or at least
experienced tilers say to use grout in the expansion joints. Or maybe
it's not termed an expansion joint, according to them? Anyway, the
joint where the tile meets the wall, tub, etc.
What's the reasoning on using grout instead of caulk? Aesthetics, I
imagine. But is there not a concern among the pro-grouters about
buckling, or cracking? Or do you simply accept that as a risk and deal
with it when it happens?
I'm no expert, but I had mine buckle last year; oh, what a joy. And
now others are loose. More joy. Personally, I don't think sanded caulk
looks that bad to outweigh the advantage of, at least possibly,
alleviating the buckling. Do I understand the two sides correctly?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6 Sep 2006 20:30:26 -0700, "shawn" wrote:

Basically I was told if when you purchase your tile they have matching
caulk, to get it but grout the joints. If the grout does pull use the
caulk =)

Not concerned with the pulling; it's the pushing, and consequent
buckling. I thought more would chime in here, as there are at least a
couple posters who appear to be pro's who I believe said that they
grout. Oh well...

Most of what I've read said to caulk. Overtime one of more of those
areas will probably crack but could be 1 month or 10 years...

wrote:
I've read, here and elsewhere, where professional or at least
experienced tilers say to use grout in the expansion joints. Or maybe
it's not termed an expansion joint, according to them? Anyway, the
joint where the tile meets the wall, tub, etc.
What's the reasoning on using grout instead of caulk? Aesthetics, I
imagine. But is there not a concern among the pro-grouters about
buckling, or cracking? Or do you simply accept that as a risk and deal
with it when it happens?
I'm no expert, but I had mine buckle last year; oh, what a joy. And
now others are loose. More joy. Personally, I don't think sanded caulk
looks that bad to outweigh the advantage of, at least possibly,
alleviating the buckling. Do I understand the two sides correctly?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I've read, here and elsewhere, where professional or at least
experienced tilers say to use grout in the expansion joints. Or maybe
it's not termed an expansion joint, according to them? Anyway, the
joint where the tile meets the wall, tub, etc.
What's the reasoning on using grout instead of caulk? Aesthetics, I
imagine. But is there not a concern among the pro-grouters about
buckling, or cracking? Or do you simply accept that as a risk and deal
with it when it happens?
I'm no expert, but I had mine buckle last year; oh, what a joy. And
now others are loose. More joy. Personally, I don't think sanded caulk
looks that bad to outweigh the advantage of, at least possibly,
alleviating the buckling. Do I understand the two sides correctly?

I'm not a pro, but I would always use caulk in the areas where the tile
meets the tub. I think that is most critical, as the tub is likely
going to move more than any other area that the tile abuts, due to temp
chg and weight of water. Plus, those are the areas where will have
the most water, so even hairline cracks can cause big problems. Where
tile abuts say a door threshold, I'd probably go with grout for
aesthetics.

Posted to alt.home.repair

When I had to "do" a small amount of bath tile work I saw a pre-mixed
product that claimed to be both grout and caulk.

In came in white and "almond." It seemed to have a lot of latex in it.

It seemed to go a good job. It wasn't cheap: $7 or so for a little less
than a quart.

If you are starting over with a completely new wall and back board, I would
use grout for everything. "Hairline" leaks just don't make any difference
with cement board.

Posted to alt.home.repair

www.johnbridge.com

best site i've run across has helped me immensly

Is it OK to Tile and Grout the same day? Eno Case UK diy 17 August 29th 20 03:30 AM
Can use bleach on dark tile and grout? Markeau Home Repair 2 August 26th 05 09:56 PM
Leaking Tile Shower [email protected] Home Repair 4 August 1st 05 12:51 AM
tile grout options pinya Home Repair 9 February 22nd 05 10:21 PM
Grout line between wall tile and granite countertop? Mike Hartigan Home Repair 3 January 25th 05 12:33 PM