DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   deck (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/174650-deck.html)

highflyr September 3rd 06 01:28 AM

deck

hello...

my side by side neighbour (we live in a duplex) is putting up a deck.
he's not pouring footings and it's not a floating deck.

is there anything in between?

construction wise...he's attaching the joists onto the ledger board and
the support beams rest on 4 deck blocks. that's it. the deck blocks
sit on the soil.

i'm not sure if this will suffice since floating decks typically use a
lot more deckblocs.

Edwin Pawlowski September 3rd 06 03:51 AM

deck

"highflyr" wrote in message

construction wise...he's attaching the joists onto the ledger board and
the support beams rest on 4 deck blocks. that's it. the deck blocks
sit on the soil.

i'm not sure if this will suffice since floating decks typically use a
lot more deckblocs.

Answer depends on where you live and the frost line. He may be headed for
trouble down the road.

highflyr September 3rd 06 04:20 AM

deck

well... we live in Canada. i don't think he'll have a problem with
frost heave since he didn't pour footings. however, with the use of
only a few deck blocks, i think the load is distributed unevenly and
for the most part, on the ledger.