DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Faucet water won't run (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/174335-faucet-water-wont-run.html)

wizard_chef August 30th 06 07:18 PM

Faucet water won't run

I have a new one. I have old style American Standard valves on my tub
in the bathroom (separate valves for hot and cold). About 6 months ago
the cold water wouldn't run even after the stem was turned all the way
out (on). After replacing the top-hat washer it ran a little bit. Then
it started the same thing. I just repaced the entire stem assembly but
I have the same problem. When I tighten the retaining nut down enough
that the stem screw will turn properly (and not spin the whole barrel),
the washer is apparently seated even when the stem is cranked all the
way out (on), and no water will flow.

Any suggestion??? This is a weird one.

Speedy Jim August 30th 06 08:32 PM

Faucet water won't run

wizard_chef wrote:
I have a new one. I have old style American Standard valves on my tub
in the bathroom (separate valves for hot and cold). About 6 months ago
the cold water wouldn't run even after the stem was turned all the way
out (on). After replacing the top-hat washer it ran a little bit. Then
it started the same thing. I just repaced the entire stem assembly but
I have the same problem. When I tighten the retaining nut down enough
that the stem screw will turn properly (and not spin the whole barrel),
the washer is apparently seated even when the stem is cranked all the
way out (on), and no water will flow.

Any suggestion??? This is a weird one.

Yeah, the tophat stems are fun. not

In this case, I would test flow with no stem.
With the entire stem assy removed, gently turn the
water supply back on. If you only get a dribble,
there is a piece of rubber stuck on the *other*
side of the seat.

If you do get a very strong stream, the fault is in the
stem/tophat. Some new tophats are extremely stiff and
don't work correctly.

Jim

[email protected] September 2nd 06 12:53 AM

Faucet water won't run

On 30 Aug 2006 11:18:33 -0700, "wizard_chef"
wrote:

I have a new one. I have old style American Standard valves on my tub
in the bathroom (separate valves for hot and cold). About 6 months ago
the cold water wouldn't run even after the stem was turned all the way
out (on). After replacing the top-hat washer it ran a little bit. Then
it started the same thing. I just repaced the entire stem assembly but
I have the same problem. When I tighten the retaining nut down enough
that the stem screw will turn properly (and not spin the whole barrel),
the washer is apparently seated even when the stem is cranked all the
way out (on), and no water will flow.

Any suggestion??? This is a weird one.

You could have chunks of rust clogging the pipes. Have a helper turn
on the water main while you hold a pail by the faucet (with the stems
removed, or one stem at a time). Sometimes that will knock out
chunks, other times you will have to remove pipes. This is just one
possibility, there could be a faucet problem too.

Mark