Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bypassing Electric Meter

Recently read a story in the local news about someone using rented
house to grow pot. In the story they said that the electric meters
were bypassed. How is a meter bypassed without killing yourself?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Moran wrote:
Recently read a story in the local news about someone using rented
house to grow pot. In the story they said that the electric meters
were bypassed. How is a meter bypassed without killing yourself?

Hi,
It's very easy but illegal. Just need a little jumper wire.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Moran wrote:
Recently read a story in the local news about someone using rented
house to grow pot. In the story they said that the electric meters
were bypassed. How is a meter bypassed without killing yourself?

In Virginia, it is pretty easy. My house had aluminum wiring, and I
replaced the whole electrical system with copper. Anyways, there is a
security seal at the bottom of the meter box. When it is removed, a
cover hinges up and the Glass meter can be pulled straight out. Then
you will be looking at 4 prongs. The top two prongs go to the power
pole. The bottom two go to the hous circut breaker box. (I had to
replace this wire to the breaker box in my house). Anyways, you could
jump the prongs rather easily with copper wire. It would help if you
knew when the meter reader was coming around so you could place the
glass meter back in. If you took the time with the security seal, the
reader would probably never notice it....he just takes the numbers down
and move to the next house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Al Moran wrote:
Recently read a story in the local news about someone using rented
house to grow pot. In the story they said that the electric meters
were bypassed. How is a meter bypassed without killing yourself?

Hi,
It's very easy but illegal. Just need a little jumper wire.

And with some meters if you plug it in backwards, it runs backwards.

Their software would flag an existing customer with extreme variations in
usage as this could indicate a problem with equipment requiring a look but a
new customer might go unnoticed with unlikely usage. Steal enough
electricity and it becomes a Felony.

Indoor pot farmers are often busted either by the electric usage pattern or
by causing fires while ignoring electrical code. Narcing neighbors too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 29 Aug 2006 21:17:09 -0700, "komobu" wrote:

In Virginia, it is pretty easy. My house had aluminum wiring, and I
replaced the whole electrical system with copper. Anyways, there is a
security seal at the bottom of the meter box. When it is removed, a
cover hinges up and the Glass meter can be pulled straight out. Then
you will be looking at 4 prongs. The top two prongs go to the power
pole. The bottom two go to the hous circut breaker box. (I had to
replace this wire to the breaker box in my house). Anyways, you could
jump the prongs rather easily with copper wire. It would help if you
knew when the meter reader was coming around so you could place the
glass meter back in. If you took the time with the security seal, the
reader would probably never notice it....he just takes the numbers down
and move to the next house.

But what I don't get is that at least one set of the prongs must be
hot. How would they connect anything to it without getting zapped
?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Moran wrote:
[...]

Very carefully. Yea, I have done it, (with the electric company's
blessing) . I don't suggest anyone who has to ask how consider doing it as
missing one step could be your last one.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 11:41:54 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Very carefully. Yea, I have done it, (with the electric company's
blessing) . I don't suggest anyone who has to ask how consider doing it as
missing one step could be your last one.

I have no intentions of trying it. Just curious how you would do it
and still be alive to talk about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

But what I don't get is that at least one set of the prongs must be
hot. How would they connect anything to it without getting zapped
?

Actually, both legs are hot. Each leg is 110v, so together you get 220v
service. The third leg goes straigt to the circuit panel and that is
the return, so for 110v, you are using one of the legs and the return.

Anyways, if your jumper is plastic sheilded you would be alright, or if
you wear ruber or leather gloves. Another very common senario is that
theives steel the glass meter from a vacant property. Then they simply
swap meters. The stolen meter would be used for two to three weeks, and
then swapped again until the meter reader comes by. This way all the
time that electricity is being used while the stolen meter is inplace,
is not being charged to the occupyer. If one does that for 15 to 22
days a month, it results in in 50% to 75% of the electrical usage not
appearing on his bill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Moran wrote:
Recently read a story in the local news about someone using rented
house to grow pot. In the story they said that the electric meters
were bypassed. How is a meter bypassed without killing yourself?

Now that some companys use the latest tech of remote meter reading
tampering with the meter could go on for quite awhile, before the
electric company became aware of it. Usually when they are caught the
judges are not very lenient in the sentence. You steal you Pay.
Jack

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Moran wrote:
Recently read a story in the local news about someone using rented
house to grow pot. In the story they said that the electric meters
were bypassed. How is a meter bypassed without killing yourself?

Heh!

When doing a census for a Rural Electric Co-op, we found more than one
person who had bought their own TRANSFORMER and tapped into the 7,200 volt
mains.

Look, if a lineman can fiddle with umpty-ump volts on the job, he can
certainly do it off the clock.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If they look for high wattage use to flag potential growers, couldn't
they just look for zero (or ultra-low) wattage users, too?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Al Moran" wrote in message

I have no intentions of trying it. Just curious how you would do it
and still be alive to talk about it.

There are lots of times work is done on hot systems. Many precautions need
to be done but essentially wearing the correct protective equipment
(gloves, isolation mats, etc...) presents a pretty safe environment. How
do you think those guys working on the high voltage power distribution lines
do it? They certainly don't shut the line down for some routine
maintenance (depends on the maintenance I suppose). Personally, I wouldn't
want to do it but that's why those guys make the money they do.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair
hah hah is offline

wrote:

Al Moran wrote:
[...]

First, build a mud wall at least a foot high all around the meter and
fill it with salt water. Wash your hands thoroughly in the salt water
and keep them wet. Stand in the pool while working on the meter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Over the past year all the homes in my town (Central Mass.) have been
converted over to digital meters with some type of Tough
plexiglass/plastic cover. I haven't seen a meter reader since. Also
the literature I saw on the new meters stated that they were not only
for metering service but for regulating so if there were some problem
it would be identified. I am not sure what the "problems" could be
(tapping service) or how it would phone home with an issue, just send a
signal over the line?

komobu wrote:
Al Moran wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Jack wrote:
Al Moran wrote:
Recently read a story in the local news about someone using rented
house to grow pot. In the story they said that the electric meters
were bypassed. How is a meter bypassed without killing yourself?

Now that some companys use the latest tech of remote meter reading
tampering with the meter could go on for quite awhile, before the
electric company became aware of it....

Actually, w/ remote monitoring and latest technology, the utility
company becomes aware of it essentially instantaneously--that's one of
the points of the remote (as in automated) monitoring besides the cost
reduction of eliminating meter-readers...

http://www.itron.com/pages/products_...itr_000240.xml

for a overview of current technology for one particular meter/vendor...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson" wrote:

There are lots of times work is done on hot systems. Many precautions need
to be done but essentially wearing the correct protective equipment
(gloves, isolation mats, etc...) presents a pretty safe environment. How
do you think those guys working on the high voltage power distribution lines
do it?

From a helicopter.

I used to live right across the road from a 750KV transmission line, and
watched them doing maintenance several times. Really awesome to watch. I have
a lot of respect for both the electrician *and* the pilot.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson" wrote:

There are lots of times work is done on hot systems. Many precautions need
to be done but essentially wearing the correct protective equipment
(gloves, isolation mats, etc...) presents a pretty safe environment. How
do you think those guys working on the high voltage power distribution lines
do it?

From a helicopter.

I used to live right across the road from a 750KV transmission line, and
watched them doing maintenance several times. Really awesome to watch. I have
a lot of respect for both the electrician *and* the pilot.

Its called a Faraday cage. Basically the workers suit up in a chain
mail suit, not unlike the under armor of the middle ages. The metal then
acts as a conductor of any induced currents, keeping them away from any
path thru the body of the worker. They reach out with a long metal rod
to touch the wire as the chopper brings them close to equalize the charges.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Awhile ago I heard about a guy who stole power by using auto jumper
cables attached to a tree pole pruner, jumping out the meter attaching
directly to the copper uninsulated service line......

he had a tree shaded area to work..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Very carefully. Yea, I have done it, (with the electric company's
blessing) . I don't suggest anyone who has to ask how consider doing it
as missing one step could be your last one.

bull****! total bull****
Eric

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Mike Plate wrote:
Over the past year all the homes in my town (Central Mass.) have been
converted over to digital meters ... not only
for metering service but for regulating so if there were some problem
it would be identified. I am not sure what the "problems" could be
(tapping service) or how it would phone home with an issue, just send a
signal over the line?

Certainly tampering is one form of "problem" new digital meters are
designed to detect. Almost any service issue can be detected, the
level in your case would be, it would all depend on the level of
sophistication of the particular meter design/manufacturer they went
to. Unbalanced legs, low voltage, off-frequency, many neutral or
ground problems all can be detected. Most of these use a wireless
network or proprietary transmission protocol connection and either they
use a mobile receiver and drive around to various locations to collect
data from an area or have collection "stations" that then forward the
data back to central office.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some newer meter sockets are self-bypassing when the meter is unplugged.
No interruption in service either. I was told this by the power company
guy who was swapping out meters under load.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 21:02:23 -0700, Al Moran wrote:

Recently read a story in the local news about someone using rented
house to grow pot. In the story they said that the electric meters
were bypassed. How is a meter bypassed without killing yourself?

Taking notes?

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

"Al Moran" wrote in message

I have no intentions of trying it. Just curious how you would do it
and still be alive to talk about it.

There are lots of times work is done on hot systems. Many precautions need
to be done but essentially wearing the correct protective equipment
(gloves, isolation mats, etc...) presents a pretty safe environment. How
do you think those guys working on the high voltage power distribution lines
do it? They certainly don't shut the line down for some routine
maintenance (depends on the maintenance I suppose). Personally, I wouldn't
want to do it but that's why those guys make the money they do.
Cheers,
cc

In my stupid youth I used to occasionally work on my apartment wiring
hot, when I lived in places where I didn't have access to the
breaker/fuse box. You just have to be damn meticulous and careful. I
guess i got the idea from wayback, when i used to work on vacuum tube
equipment where diagnosis often required careful poking with meter
probes while the thing was on. Compared to the inside of a tube
electronics chassis, 110 volt house wiring is pretty easy and safe. Oh
yeah, it's advised to always keep your left hand in your pocket to
eliminate any current path across the heart, should things go sour.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Mike Plate wrote:
Over the past year all the homes in my town (Central Mass.) have been
converted over to digital meters with some type of Tough
plexiglass/plastic cover. I haven't seen a meter reader since. Also
the literature I saw on the new meters stated that they were not only
for metering service but for regulating so if there were some problem
it would be identified. I am not sure what the "problems" could be
(tapping service) or how it would phone home with an issue, just send a
signal over the line?

Same here, but last week I got a notice from the power company saying
despite the remote reading setup, it was still time for routine
replacement of the meter and would i please make an appointment?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 31 Aug 2006 11:49:52 -0700, "z" wrote:

Mike Plate wrote:
Over the past year all the homes in my town (Central Mass.) have been
converted over to digital meters with some type of Tough
plexiglass/plastic cover. I haven't seen a meter reader since. Also
the literature I saw on the new meters stated that they were not only
for metering service but for regulating so if there were some problem
it would be identified. I am not sure what the "problems" could be
(tapping service) or how it would phone home with an issue, just send a
signal over the line?

Same here, but last week I got a notice from the power company saying
despite the remote reading setup, it was still time for routine
replacement of the meter and would i please make an appointment?

They replaced my electric meter this spring, at about 10AM (while I
was reading newsgroups) with NO notice. If I hadn't gone outside to
look, it would have been like any other power failure.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Moran wrote:
Recently read a story in the local news about someone using rented
house to grow pot. In the story they said that the electric meters
were bypassed. How is a meter bypassed without killing yourself?

That's down right shocking

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Al Moran wrote:
Recently read a story in the local news about someone using rented
house to grow pot. In the story they said that the electric meters
were bypassed. How is a meter bypassed without killing yourself?

After they smoked some, it seemed like an obvious idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLR MLR is offline

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
. ..

"Al Moran" wrote in message

I have no intentions of trying it. Just curious how you would do it
and still be alive to talk about it.

There are lots of times work is done on hot systems. Many precautions
need to be done but essentially wearing the correct protective equipment
(gloves, isolation mats, etc...) presents a pretty safe environment. How
do you think those guys working on the high voltage power distribution
lines do it? They certainly don't shut the line down for some routine
maintenance (depends on the maintenance I suppose). Personally, I
wouldn't want to do it but that's why those guys make the money they do.
Cheers,
cc

Those guys make "Chump Change"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 21:50:44 -0700, "pipedown"
wrote:

Indoor pot farmers are often busted either by the electric usage pattern or
by causing fires while ignoring electrical code. Narcing neighbors too.

These gro-ops are a landlord's nighmare. Growing pot requires a lot
of water that the plants then transpire. That results in high
humidity and condensation on the walls, etc. There will be structural
damage to the house, especially in houses that are built in localities
with a long winter. Furthermore the chemicals used in the gro-op and
along with the drug by-products will contaminate the house. A police
bust will have it condemned as unfit for human habitation. That house
will be a total loss and insurance won't pay for that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
"z" wrote:

Al Moran wrote:
Recently read a story in the local news about someone using rented
house to grow pot. In the story they said that the electric meters
were bypassed. How is a meter bypassed without killing yourself?

After they smoked some, it seemed like an obvious idea.

During Prohibition one trick was to put a straw in the meter to stop the
turning. Absolute requirement; have soneone ALWAYS availiable to remove
the straw before a meter reader gets there!

--
Free men own guns - /CapitolHill/5357/
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Joseph Meehan, John doooh wrote:
sligojoe_Spamno wrote:

Very carefully. Yea, I have done it, (with the electric company's
blessing) . I don't suggest anyone who has to ask how consider doing it

as
missing one step could be your last one.

It's like installing a fuse...plus isn't it just secondary power
120/240... Just don't ground when installing jumper...or between phases.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Al Moran, gangerelectricm8 wrote:
not reeal m88'tz

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-141721-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to PaPaPeng, Femi wrote:
This is such bull****. I have been a part of 6 grow houses, nit one damaged
the house in those ways. In the grow operation, if you know what you're doing
you keep the temperature and the humidity in an acceptable range, and that
range does not damaged houses is the same range that humans live in. Humidity
between 45 + 55% and temperature between 72 and 84 degrees Fahrenheit. That
does not damage a house. You are so full of ****.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-141721-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

On Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 11:02:23 PM UTC-5, Al Moran wrote:
Recently read a story in the local news about someone using rented
house to grow pot. In the story they said that the electric meters
were bypassed. How is a meter bypassed without killing yourself?

That is called stealing.

The Eighth Commandment is recorded in Exodus 20:15: €œYou shall not steal.€ The Bible describes many forms of stealing we must avoid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 11:22:18 PM UTC-4, A K wrote:
On Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 11:02:23 PM UTC-5, Al Moran wrote:
Recently read a story in the local news about someone using rented
house to grow pot. In the story they said that the electric meters
were bypassed. How is a meter bypassed without killing yourself?

That is called stealing.

The Eighth Commandment is recorded in Exodus 20:15: €œYou shall not steal.€ The Bible describes many forms of stealing we must avoid.

To answer the question, it's not hard to bypass a meter without killing
yourself. The hard part is making it so it's not visible, not detected
and not getting caught.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to PaPaPeng, Erik Jon wrote:
Wow this is the either official propaganda or you're retarded.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-141721-.htm

PowerMac G4 (Quicksilver) Power Supply Chris Electronics Repair 7 January 31st 06 04:19 AM
Roof water runs right on top of electric meter Susan \(CobbersMom\) Home Repair 3 May 16th 05 05:41 PM
Gas meter regulations Chris UK diy 11 April 20th 05 06:49 PM
Connecting electric meter to in-house office... Mike Armstrong UK diy 19 November 5th 04 10:32 AM
munet digital electric watthour meter login problem INTERESTING TECHNOLOGY! jack morgan Home Repair 0 November 15th 03 08:21 PM