DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Solvent for Oatley #95 tinning flux? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/174205-solvent-oatley-95-tinning-flux.html)

[email protected] August 29th 06 06:11 PM

Solvent for Oatley #95 tinning flux?

I'm trying to wash off some copper sheets I've soldered together with
lead-free solder. I used Oatley #95 lead free tinning flux and I tried
to wash it off with strong detergent but no luck. Does anyone know an
efficient way to wash this stuff off?

Thanks,
Jeff

dpb August 29th 06 07:01 PM

wrote:
I'm trying to wash off some copper sheets I've soldered together with
lead-free solder. I used Oatley #95 lead free tinning flux and I tried
to wash it off with strong detergent but no luck. Does anyone know an
efficient way to wash this stuff off?

MSDS indicates negligble solubility in water but base is 60-70%
petrolatum so I'd try a petroleum solvent on a rag. Might check on
www.oatey.com to see if any further information (btw, note there's no
"L" in "Oatey").

PV August 29th 06 09:08 PM

Solvent for Oatley #95 tinning flux?

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm trying to wash off some copper sheets I've soldered together with
lead-free solder. I used Oatley #95 lead free tinning flux and I tried
to wash it off with strong detergent but no luck. Does anyone know an
efficient way to wash this stuff off?

Thanks,
Jeff

Pickup some flux stripper from your local electronics store or rubbing
alcohol.

PV

Bob August 30th 06 02:55 AM

wrote:
I'm trying to wash off some copper sheets I've soldered together with
lead-free solder. I used Oatley #95 lead free tinning flux and I tried
to wash it off with strong detergent but no luck. Does anyone know an
efficient way to wash this stuff off?

Thanks,
Jeff

Acetone, your wife's nail polish remover, alcohol, most anything not
water based.

[email protected] August 30th 06 02:58 PM

On 29 Aug 2006 10:11:22 -0700, wrote:

I'm trying to wash off some copper sheets I've soldered together with
lead-free solder. I used Oatley #95 lead free tinning flux and I tried
to wash it off with strong detergent but no luck. Does anyone know an
efficient way to wash this stuff off?

Thanks,
Jeff

Gasoline (just a guess). Of course do it outdoors away from
flammables.

I wonder if that "Simple Green" would work. That stuff really cuts
grease. (another guess).