Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
JWH JWH is offline

Default 60 Kg in 3'x1' area unacceptable floor loading?

hi, my son is into lifting weights, which he keeps in the corner of his
bedroom in a space 3 feet by 1 foot. over the years he has been given
weights by people and the total weight of them all is now 60 Kg.

our house is a terraced house built in 1938 in north london (u.k.). i worry
that this is too much weight in such a small area, and a strain on the
wooden flooring, but he does not think so. am i right to worry about this,
please?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Sev Sev is offline

JWH wrote:
hi, my son is into lifting weights, which he keeps in the corner of his
bedroom in a space 3 feet by 1 foot. over the years he has been given
weights by people and the total weight of them all is now 60 Kg.

our house is a terraced house built in 1938 in north london (u.k.). i worry
that this is too much weight in such a small area, and a strain on the
wooden flooring, but he does not think so. am i right to worry about this,
please?

60kg? in a 3x1 ft area? Sounds like eqivalent to me standing in that
corner- and I'm not heavy. I hope your floor could handle that. Sure
you're right about that total weight? Not missing a zero, are you?
Then I would be concerned.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
JWH JWH is offline

"Sev" wrote in message
ups.com...

JWH wrote:
hi, my son is into lifting weights, which he keeps in the corner of his
bedroom in a space 3 feet by 1 foot. over the years he has been given
weights by people and the total weight of them all is now 60 Kg.

our house is a terraced house built in 1938 in north london (u.k.). i
worry
that this is too much weight in such a small area, and a strain on the
wooden flooring, but he does not think so. am i right to worry about
this,
please?

60kg? in a 3x1 ft area? Sounds like eqivalent to me standing in that
corner- and I'm not heavy. I hope your floor could handle that. Sure
you're right about that total weight? Not missing a zero, are you?
Then I would be concerned.

thanks, now you mention it i weigh 85 kg, so what am i on about? it just
looked like a real heavy load with it all laid out there.......back to sleep
:[

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"JWH" wrote in message

"Sev" wrote in message
ups.com...

JWH wrote:
[...]

lol I wouldn't worry at all. What I would worry about is dropping a 25
pounder on the ground or something and having it end up in the kitchen sink
downstairs!